Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

Re: Worn corners???

bkai wrote:

Here are the bottom corners (the corners I hold which are the ones that should fade if at all):

Bottom Left cornerBottom Right corner

How were you able to post these pictures?  All I can do is point to an image's URL, but I want to post picture(s) from my computer.  I searched the board and was still found wanting.  Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

The interesting thing is that both of the people who are reporting this seem to insist on keeping their nook in the plastic shipping case.  Perhaps THAT is the common link.  And easy prevention.  The shipping case was obviously not meant to be used as storage.

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Contributor
davdav
0 Kudos

I keep mine in a Javoedge sleeve, and have been  getting the brown spots just like the original poster. I called CS, and they said they had NEVER heard of this issue before, and wouldn't replace the back unless it got worse. ugh.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Just askin.....

Does anyone seeing these stains (fading does not describe what is shown) smoke?

Cuz that sure looks like smoke stains from a cig held between the fingers of the hand holding the nook

Frequent Contributor
greatjava
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have same *exact* problem, emailed support.  I don't smoke and keep in the javoedge sleeve. I got mine 1/15.

http://tweetphoto.com/10898825

It does look like a stain, but rubbing alcohol and other cleaners don't touch it. Seems like the grayness of the plastic wore off but of course it's not painted. Very odd.  Hope B&N replaces it.  My wife's nook doesn't do this, but she doesn't keep in case :smileyhappy:

Also I have the JAVOEdge wood case - did all of you who had this have that case?

Contributor
Jamie_Mason
0 Kudos

Ack!  Mine's doing the same thing, but in all four corners.  This is a replacement Nook.  The first one I had for a month and the pae-turn button cracked.  Now I've had this new one for two weeks and all four corners on the back are turning pinkish.

I never set it down anywhere it could get dirty and don't keep it in a cover or sleeve of any kind.  Grrrr.  I'm very careful with it and this is a little OCD annoying.

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

Is it just me or is this like complaining that the bottom of your shoe gets dirty? This is the semi-rubberised back of the device. The part that touches the surface of things, clean or dirty. The part that touches our hands, clean or dirty. Or is on a case that is leather or fabric with dyes. It's also the part of the nook that was very clearly made to be replaced when it really gets worn and dirty so that we don't have to buy a new nook.

Granted, yes we want it to be new forever. I love my nook and want it to stay nice. That said I have to set the thing down from time to time and those back corners are the feet of the device. Also is it making the nook not work? Is it hindering you from reading books? 

Even the feet of laptops or the back of cell phones will get scratched and dirty; sometimes the very day you bought them. Even the floor mats in our new cars.

Frequent Contributor
greatjava
0 Kudos

It's not about being dirty. The gray case turns brown. I'd agree with you if it didn't occur in a few weeks. Over the course of a year or two - even if kept clean in a case it's going to wear a little.

My case was replaced by a store employee and my new back is fine.  The old one was defective. My wife's nook back never had a problem.

I don't see anything wrong with people expecting the device not to discolor and asking the vendor to replace something that's not right.  Unfortunately in this case (hahaha) B&N has ignored the issue.

New User
RightWingNut
0 Kudos

Re: Discolored Nook rear cover

[ Edited ]

After two weeks and not much use had mine sitting in a neoprene black case with zipper.

Doesn't appear to have gotten wet but it's got stains on it on the exact locations mentioned in this thread.  Like the ink itself has bleed from upper to corners.  I'm brining this thing back.  Shouldn't be doing this.  Nor should they offer neoprene cases if it's possible for this to happen.  Anyone else?

Oh and mine has a white back so it's much more noticeable.

Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

I have a pair of white earphones. I noticed that after a few months of usage, the parts that touch me had turned a greenish color. It's from B-vitamins excreted in skin oils/sweat (I use the earphones for working out).

I realized as soon as I got the white Nook that the same thing was going to happen to it, from my fingers and hands constantly touching the white case.

I generally shun skins, but I immediately bought a silicone skin type cover, and I also put the Nook in a zip case when not being used.

I guess I"m fortunate to have noticed it with the earphones (which, actually, cost more than the Nook), so I could protect the Nook.

I'd think anything with any type of matte finish that's white could be susceptible to these sorts of stains.

New User
kcender
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Has B&N fixed/resolved this issue yet?

I just purchased a white Nook 3 days ago. I never kept it in a case, a bag or used it with dirty hands and it's already looks like it's had copper dust sifted over the back cover. In fact, I've only used it enough to read 75 pages on it. I don't have any children or roommates, so I'm the only person that's used it. Also, I don't smoke.

It's worst on the corners and raised edges, but can be seen lightly over the entirely of the backside. The odd part is that it highlights the stress fault defects in the plastic that occured in the manufacturing process. It makes the plastic look cracked, which it isn't.

I can post pictures if wanted.

New User
joey_52
0 Kudos

I purchased a Nook Color Table in November 2011 after much comparison shopping. I really liked the product until it started to discolor on the frame (this was on the front not the back). I took it back within 2 weeks. They did give me another brand new one and thought I was going to be fine, not!!! The new one not only started getting brown on the frame again but then went to a purple color and kept spreading. I went back to B&N again and this time they replaced it again but with a "pre-owned" Nook. I was fine with that but then lo and behold within 3 months the brown came back again. I had now had it with the $250.00 product. I went back to B&N and at first they said the could not credit my credit card because it had been too long. After I got more upset , they finally credited my card. I have never been more disappointed in a product in my life. I plan on buying an IPAD.
New User
kcender
0 Kudos

I think B&N had a few bad batches where the plastics' formula wasn't quite right, or their supplier used cheap ingredients. Hopefully they'll get this resolved if they haven't already.

I was able to get my old Nook replaced and it hasn't discolored again.
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

The original pure white Nook unfortunately picked up oil from your fingers over hunreds of hours of reading, which is unavoidble even when your hands are clean.  Eventually that leads to permanent discoloration.  I'm sure that's why all the later models are made of darker plastic.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 665 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: