Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Parsnips
0 Kudos

Discolored Nook rear cover

The back cover of my week old Nook is trurning brown at wear points on the corners and the middle of the bottom.  Looks terrible and isn't going to help the people I've shown it to decide to buy a Nook.

The same thing happened to the original Mac Books...

How do I go about getting a replacement?  One that won't look ugly after a few hours of use, i mean.

Thanks in advance,

Parsnips

Frequent Contributor
Wrennie
0 Kudos

Re: Discolored Nook rear cover

I haven't had this issue, or any real issues at all. BUT, I did find these awesome skins for the nook on ebay and I just might try one out. This might solve your problem or at least cover it up!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Barnes-Noble-NooK-vinyl-skin-skins-select-any-style_W0QQitemZ230418002851QQcmdZV...

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

http://www.decalgirl.com/category.view/Barnes-and-Noble-Nook

We have skins for many of our devices including the Kindles from decalgirl.  They are vinyl and peal off easily without leaving any indication they were ever there.  I highly recommend them.  They are also neat in that they provide a screen saver that matches the decal.

Faz
New User
Faz
0 Kudos

Yuck... I convinced a coworker to buy one of those Mac Books (a white one, of course) and it looked really bad after a few weeks.

I'm sure B&N will fix this...

Contributor
Parsnips
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information, I might buy one after I get a new rear cover from B&N, but spending $12.00 to cover  up a design error doesn't sit too well with me. 

Inspired Contributor
CaliMar
0 Kudos

Wear -and- tear is a design issue? Yeah, ok.

Inspired Contributor
nookie01
0 Kudos

Wrennie, thanks for the link to the skins. There is a HUGE selection to choose from and the skins look like a perfect solution to protect the original casing. I purchased one of the book covers from the B&N nook accessories section, but I may add a skin too. I'm all about dressing up my gadgets!

Frequent Contributor
RebeccaJ
0 Kudos

ohh pretty! Thanks Ally for posting the link for the nook skins! I love that they have a screensaver to go with them.

New User
jschwartzjr
0 Kudos

Did you get the first shipment of nooks?  Mine isn't due until February but if newer ones are messed up I'm going to cancel my order.

Inspired Contributor
LaManchaDQ
0 Kudos

CaliMar wrote:

There should not be wear & tear issues at this stage - less than a month of use. If, thorugh normal use, there is discoloration, there is a problem that needs addressed that is not addressed by simply claiming W&T.

My nook went right from the shipping box into a cover.  I'm not seeing any discoloration yet.  Though I am notoriously gentle on my gadgets.

Inspired Correspondent
AdamSelene

> Wear -and- tear is a design issue? Yeah, ok.

Badly formulated plastic is a defect, not “wear and tear.”

Frequent Contributor
Tome-Reader
0 Kudos

CaliMar wrote:

I don't think it can be called wear & tear when he has only had his Nook a week.

@Parsnips:

Do you use your Nook without a cover?  If so, it could be that the oils of your skin are causing a reaction in the back cover.

Contributor
Parsnips
0 Kudos

I think this was the second batch, it arrived on 12/23.

Contributor
Parsnips

No, it's not a finger oil issue, the brown spots are on the corners and to a lesser extent on the bottom center of the back cover... it's where the 'high spots' are, not where somebody would hold the device. 

To CaliMar, please be serious, plastic can survive a brutal several hours of reading a week-old device, it's clearly badly formulated plastic.

Inspired Contributor
CaliMar
0 Kudos

Parsnips wrote:

No, it's not a finger oil issue, the brown spots are on the corners and to a lesser extent on the bottom center of the back cover... it's where the 'high spots' are, not where somebody would hold the device. 

To CaliMar, please be serious, plastic can survive a brutal several hours of reading a week-old device, it's clearly badly formulated plastic.

Having seen no mass complaints about this, if you believe yours to be defective, contact customer service to inquire about a replacement.  And yes, I was serious that "normal wear and tear" is not a design issue.  You may have a defect so call customer service.

Frequent Contributor
RebeccaJ
0 Kudos

guess I should mention that I haven't seen any discoloration on my nook. It was received on the 16th of Dec. But it went straight into a case, since I like to pack it around everywhere I go. I've only taken it out of the case a couple of times to read (they did a nice job with the shape on the back btw very easy to hold).

But will discontinue this practice till a skin arrives as I worry about discoloration (my husband works in a coal mine so it is easy to get transfer from his clothes onto stuff). I imagine that the rubber material on the back may be a bit more susceptible to oils and dirt from hands than the slicker back used on most sell phones and the sony reader (just my opinion. 

Contributor
Parsnips

Sorry, I didn't mean to be snippy, obviously you can't see the device so there's no way you could see what actually happened. 

My best guess is that the slightly tacky 'rubber' finish just wears off leaving the substrait exposed. 

Inspired Correspondent
AdamSelene
0 Kudos

> Do you use your Nook without a cover?  If so, it could be that the oils of your skin are causing a reaction in the back cover.

This sort of issue wouldn't be caused by skin oils.  It's generally caused by improperly set plastic—it leaches free chlorine and/or bromine, which gets stuck in the matrix of the plastic, and has a brownish color.  Old plastic can also exhibit the problem after significant UV exposure, due to the plastic breaking down; Google “retrobrite” for a full explanation of that issue and a method of repairing it.

Inspired Contributor
WCK123
0 Kudos

What continues to surprise me is the consistency issues with the nook. I've been an early adopter with several other products, but I don't ever recall a time when both the hardware and software had such huge variances between users.  I've been using my nook consistently since it arrived on the 12/9, and don't have any discoloration issues.  I've also been lucky in that I haven't experienced almost any of the software issues (my page turning has always been fairly quick, no bookmarks have ever been lost, remembers place in book, doesn't lose pages, etc).  I was very nervous that the update would mess it up, but as far as I can tell the update had no impact on performance.  Anyway, my point is that I sometimes wonder if the product that I have is the same nook that so many people seem to be having problems with. :smileyhappy:

Is it possible that there was some other oil that was on your hand, or table, or where ever that came in contact with your nook?  If this was a production issue (poor batch of plastic used for the nook) I would think it would be more widely reported.... especially on these boards where there are in some cases tens of threads about the same subject.

Best of luck.  I'm very interested to hear how B&N responds to your concern.

www.twodadsonegirl.blogspot.com
Contributor
Parsnips
0 Kudos

If it was something on a table it would show up as two parallel lines, that's where the back contacts a hard flat surface... the corners seem like they'd be what first comes into contact with any sort of surface, before it sits flat. 

It's clearly something wrong with the plastic or the rubbery stuff that's coming off the plastic... in either case the device has been carefully handled and not handled very often at that.

Hopefully I'm not getting lead poisoning or something, though AdamSelene sounds like he knows what's going on, thank you, AdamSelene.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 719 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: