Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
kjpus
0 Kudos

Does Nook support Chinese/Japanese?

I just got a nook yesterday and love it.

But, there was one disappointment. I loaded some books (epub format) in Chinese and Japanese to the kindle. Some of them are converted from txt/html to epub by Calibre; Some are downloaded from Project Guttenberg; Some are PDFs generated by MS word. The only thing that works is PDF with embedded fonts. All the epubs only show question marks. Is there a way to make nook display Chinese/Japanese epub books properly? Nook displays all of the book titles correctly, which makes me believe the OS is capable of the other languages and fonts for these languages are available.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: Does Nook support Chinese/Japanese?

[ Edited ]

According to page 36 of the NOOK User Guide, the NOOK supports fonts with Latin character sets.  Other font types can only be viewed if they are embedded in the document.

Contributor
kjpus

Thanks for the info. It is a pity that nook doesn't support more languages out of the box.

However, there seems to be a workaround. Best part - it acutally works.

Reader
mystikiel

Kjpus, you little ripper, that workaround actually does work.

I recommend using this java-based css editor that an enterprising person has created on this thread:-

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70600

I just opened the pub, pasted the css data that kjpus linked to, and bobs your uncle.

Reader
mystikiel

Just a few pointers for anyone who might be trying to create epubs in Japanese.

The Japanese txt file needs to be encoded in EUC, not Shift-JIS or elsewise. You can do this in Word by opening the text, and then trying to save as either text or encoded text, Word will offer you the option of saving in EUC.

Make sure you have removed line breaks so the text will flow properly. There are programs that offer this, I used a website that removes line breaks from text.

If you are using Calibre to convert the text, you should save your txt file as a HTML (again using Word) as that produces the best results.

Once you have converted from HTML to epub, you can edit the css as described above. Once done It should open and flow nicely on your nook.

Reader
mystikiel
0 Kudos

Also, make sure you completely delete the existing info in the css, and replace it exactly with the alternative that exists at the site kjpus linked to, including the extra bracket that appears after the other gobbledygook.

Reader
mystikiel
0 Kudos

One further thing...

japanese paperbacks are pretty small. So what you can do is just get raw scans (jpegs) of them and compile them into a rar file. Simply rename the rar to a cbr file and convert in calibre as you would for a comic book. Works quite well.

Contributor
kchai007
0 Kudos

The workaround works. Many thanks. PLEASE remember to check the "Publisher Defaults" under fonts setting. If you don't, it would appear that workaround does not do a thing.

I replaced the style*.ccs file embedded in epub files with the workaround. Thanks. I finished two Chinese ebooks by now.

New User
beeloo
0 Kudos

Sorry. I still have problem. I was using below in extra CSS:

<@font-face {

font-family: "Arial", "SimSun", "Times New Roman", "MingLiU", "PMingLiU", "Cambria", "Consolas", "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif;

font-weight: normal;

font-style: normal;

src: url('res:///system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf');

}

@font-face {

font-family: "Arial", "SimSun", "Times New Roman", "MingLiU", "PMingLiU", "Cambria", "Consolas", "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif;

font-weight: bold;

font-style: normal;

}

@font-face {

font-weight: normal;

font-style: italic;

}

@font-face {

font-weight: bold;

font-style: italic;

}

But I don't find anywhere which I can setup the publish default.

Could someone please help?

New User
beeloo
0 Kudos

Nevermind. I got it.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 534 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: