Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

Does syncing work with 1.5?

Maybe it's just me, but I have a Nook with 1.5, a NookColr, and an Ipos Touch with the Nook app.

The book I'm reading is on pg 33 on the NookColor, 31 on the Nook and pg 12 on the Ipod Touch.

Do I have to do something to get these to sync??

B&N Bookseller
DariaJane
0 Kudos

Re: Does syncing work with 1.5?

I just tested it on my iPhone, and it worked like a charm.  Make sure you have the latest version of the nook app on your iPod Touch and go to the preferences menu from the book you're reading on your NOOK.  Make sure you have syncing enabled (the last menu option under preferences, "Auto Save Page on BN.com").  That should do it!

Let us know if you're still having problems.

Frequent Contributor
CMegalodon
0 Kudos

I have an iPhone 4 and it does not work.  I have activated it on my Nook but I might as well have been banging my head on a wall.  You guys really stink!

Gee, Kindle had sync two years ago!  What is your problem?  Too cheap to pay real programmers?

Frequent Contributor
MDandy
0 Kudos

I have the Moto Droid Android Phone and I can get the Nook to sync to the phone but pages read on the phone doesn't go to the Nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

DariaJane wrote:

I just tested it on my iPhone, and it worked like a charm.  Make sure you have the latest version of the nook app on your iPod Touch and go to the preferences menu from the book you're reading on your NOOK.  Make sure you have syncing enabled (the last menu option under preferences, "Auto Save Page on BN.com").  That should do it!

In my tests, I was able to sync TO the iPhone, but after reading a few pages on the iphone, and then closing the book on the iphone and opening it on the nook, it does not seem to advance the nook.  

I even remembered to use the GO TO option and select "Last page saved on B&N".

So I'd be interested in what you had to do to get this to work.    It seems hit or miss...

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

icebike wrote:

DariaJane wrote:

In my tests, I was able to sync TO the iPhone, but after reading a few pages on the iphone, and then closing the book on the iphone and opening it on the nook, it does not seem to advance the nook.  

I even remembered to use the GO TO option and select "Last page saved on B&N".

So I'd be interested in what you had to do to get this to work.    It seems hit or miss..

------------------------------------------------

Still doesn't work for me. I have "Auto Save" checked.

B&N Bookseller
DariaJane
0 Kudos

instead of just closing the app on my iPhone, I went to the library screen and hit the refresh/sync button to the right of the magnifying glass.  I think this is what sends your last page to BN.com.  Then use the Go To: Last Page Saved on BN.com buttons on NOOK, and it should work.

Contributor
rfmanny
0 Kudos

This isn't working for me either.  I've turned auto save on my nook for the book I'm reading.  It won't sync with my iphone in either direction.  I even tried deleting and reinstalling the iphone app.  Has anyone else gotten this to work?

B&N Bookseller
DariaJane
0 Kudos

It's worked for me both ways using my iPhone 4 iOS 4.1.  I'm using my home WiFi network on both devices, though I suppose I could test it with 3G and see if it still works...maybe that's the problem?

Hm...just tried it, and it doesn't appear to work over 3G, maybe a WiFi network is required both ways?

Yep, according  to the manual, WiFi is necessary.  Maybe this would explain why some people are having trouble...

Inspired Contributor
boe0485
0 Kudos

I cannot get the Nook to sync TO my iPhone 4.  I can sync from the iPhone to the Nook but it will not sync the other way.  I have the same problem with the Nook for PC app.  I called tech support and they didn't know what I meant by syncing the last page.  The reply from the tech was to "wait a while and maybe it will work".  Very disappointed!

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

Hmm..well, I'm on a wi-fi network. I've had it work a couple of times. Very sporadic.

B&N Bookseller
DariaJane
0 Kudos

@boe0485

Do you have WiFi enabled on both mobile devices? It may be required to be on WiFi on your iPhone as well.  I assume under preferences on your NOOK, that you have the auto save feature turned on.  When you first open the app on your phone, hit the little refresh/sync button next to the magnifying glass.  All these things solved my initial syncing issues.

As for the NOOK for PC app, make sure your NOOK is connected to WiFi (again) and hit the sync button right next to the logo (in the latest version, I had to download the latest version today for it to work).  If it doesn't go right to the page you think you were on, click on the arrow on the left side of the screen and select "last read page."  This should work.  If not, please let me know what it's doing and I'll see if I can duplicate it and help you out!

Inspired Contributor
boe0485
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@DariaJane

Thanks for the reply.

I do have wifi turned on on both the Nook and the iPhone.  I turned on the auto save feature on the Nook as explained in the manual.  I tried the refresh button in the iPhone app but no good.  I even deleted the iPhone app, rebooted the iPhone and reinstalled it from scratch.  It still won't sync.

As for the Nook for PC app, I downloaded the lated version tonight, my PC is connected to wifi and I tried the sync button and selected last read but again no luck.  I tried it on a few diffent books but nothing seems to work.

I'm going to go to my local Barnes & Noble store at lunchtime tomorrow.  Maybe they will be able to show me what I'm doing wrong.:smileyhappy:

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

DariaJane wrote:

It's worked for me both ways using my iPhone 4 iOS 4.1.  I'm using my home WiFi network on both devices, though I suppose I could test it with 3G and see if it still works...maybe that's the problem?

Hm...just tried it, and it doesn't appear to work over 3G, maybe a WiFi network is required both ways?

Yep, according  to the manual, WiFi is necessary.  Maybe this would explain why some people are having trouble...

It works over 3G as well.  It worked for me from my Nook with Wi-Fi off to the Nook for PC app and back to the Nook again with Wi-Fi off.  When you open the app, it goes to the last page saved on BN.  But when you open it again on the Nook, you need to select Go to > Last page saved on BN.com.  Otherwise, it only goes to the local last page.

Contributor
WickedScribbler
0 Kudos

I have managed one.. (1) time to get my nook to sync to my PC... and once for PC to nook... as far as I can tell the Sync feature is a bust and needs some reworking. I've tried several pieces of advice that I've found on here, but the sad fact is that none of them do anything at all. Maybe the devs should go back to the drawing board. :smileysad:

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

WickedScribbler wrote:

I have managed one.. (1) time to get my nook to sync to my PC... and once for PC to nook... as far as I can tell the Sync feature is a bust and needs some reworking. I've tried several pieces of advice that I've found on here, but the sad fact is that none of them do anything at all. Maybe the devs should go back to the drawing board. :smileysad:

NEW! Stay in Sync Across Multiple Devices  

Automatically sync the last page you read on your NOOK or NOOK app with another. For instance, if you stop reading on a certain page on your NOOK, you'll automatically open to the same exact place on your iPad, iPhone or Android-based smartphone using our FREE NOOK apps.

C'mon, man! It doesn't work!!!

Here's the latest results of my syncing across multiple devices.
Last night I finished reading on the Nook Color - ended on pg 69
This morning I grab the Nook, open the book I'm reading and go to Last Page Saved on BN.com.
Where's it take me? Page 28?  28, you ask? That's where I last left the book on my iPod touch (since it hasn't been syncing).
So now, I have the NookColor at 69, and the Nook and the ipod touch at 28.
Even though I'm pretty happy with the 1.5 release, and I'm enjoying the NookColor,  I am frustrated at this syncing issue.
Frequent Contributor
El_Viejo
0 Kudos

It works on my nook but I have to back out of what I'm reading to the screen showing the list of books in my B&N library.  Just leaving the nook with my current book open doesn't update the last page read.

Frequent Contributor
CMegalodon
0 Kudos

It synced ONCE.  Never worked again.  I have an iPhone with the latest Nook software.

Frequent Contributor
CMegalodon
0 Kudos

I have had the exact same experience as you.  Synced one time.

Contributor
mhibbs
0 Kudos

My sync isn't working very well either.  I think it has something to do w/ how often the Nook updates the last page read on bn.com.  My Nook app on my iPhone will eventually advance but it's aways behind.  For example, a couple of days ago I was on pg 45.  Tried a bunch of things to force syncing both on the iPhone via the sync button and on the Nook via "check for BN content" (over 3G only).  I could never get the iPhone to pg45...it was 20something where I had been a day or so before.  Today, I read 30pgs at lunch (2hrs ago).  I just checked my iPhone and it's up to pg 45 which is where I was a couple of days ago, but not up to pg75 where I am now.  So it seems to be working...eventually....but it's too slow to be reliable (or usable for that matter).  

I haven't even tried iPhone>Nook sync b/c I can't get the iPhone to even be current at this point.  I like my Nook but I'm getting really tired of B&N deploying features that are halfway implemented.  How long has the Kindle been syncing?  It shouldn't be this difficult and judging by the number of people with issues, it's a common problem.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 568 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: