Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
FantasyRomance
0 Kudos

Does the Nook Open Password Protected pdf files?

Just wondering how the nook deals with password protected pdf files.  Thanks.

New User
Thundergirls
0 Kudos

Re: Does the Nook Open Password Protected pdf files?

DRM protected PDFs yes, Password protected... no.

All my research indicates at this time it does not, but as the Nook's firmware can be updated, I'd hope they would include this feature. Password protection of PDF documents is very easy to do for us low-volume publishers and protecting ourselves while still making the product versatile for reading devices like the Nook is almost a no-brainer. Fingers crossed for the next update.

New User
RyanMarfone
0 Kudos

The nook doesn't work with password protected pdf's. It doesn't give you ability to enter the username and password fields and bring up the keyboard therefore no way to enter the password and submit is possible. This would be a hard requirement in my book. No pun intended.

Contributor
qbxk
0 Kudos

All of APress' ebooks are offered as password protected pdfs, they spell that out and why at their faq page, which also offers a sample download, which nicely illuminates the nook's shortcoming in this respect

http://apress.com/info/faq

Their ebook catalog page lists nearly 1000 titles,

http://www.apress.com/ebook/catalog

These are all available through amazon for the kindle, directly, as well.  Just sayin'

Guess I'll have to buy the shredded tree version

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ETA:  I had two password protected PDF files that I could not read on my Nook, nor convert with Calibre because it would give me the error message that they were drm protected.  I did a goggle search and found this site and decided to give the free trail a try.  It worked!  It removed the password protection (you have to have it initally to open the file before removing) and I was able to convert to epub and it showed up fine on my Nook.  I'm thrilled!

http://a-pdf.com/security/restrictions_remover.htm

Meanwhile, I will not be purchasing any more password protected files and have learned to ask first before I buy. 

Linda

New User
6ix-foot-8ight
0 Kudos

How did that work I am trying it and it doesnt seem to work for me?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Thanks.  This is good to know.  I had someone asking about this at the Nook desk tonight and now I have an answer.  :smileyhappy:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Note that since 1.3 the Nook should work with password protected pdf files.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

qbxk wrote:

All of APress' ebooks are offered as password protected pdfs, they spell that out and why at their faq page, which also offers a sample download, which nicely illuminates the nook's shortcoming in this respect

http://apress.com/info/faq

Their ebook catalog page lists nearly 1000 titles,

http://www.apress.com/ebook/catalog

These are all available through amazon for the kindle, directly, as well.  Just sayin'

Guess I'll have to buy the shredded tree version

Someone selling ebooks in PDF form has little ground to stand on when pointing out someone elses shortcomings.

New User
Samilynne
0 Kudos

The Nook does not open password protected PDFs (I was fairly disappointed as this was one of my main reasons for buying it - my ebooks for school are all protected PDFs).  However, I was able to work around this in this way.

1. Open the password protected PDF on you PC, entering in the username/password and checking the box to automatically sign in.

2. Print the entire PDF to Microsoft Document Writer (.xps)

3. Print the .xps file to PDF

4. Add this PDF to your Nook.

The main drawback is the text is pretty small and there is no zoom option.  (The font sizing has no effect) But if you have decent eyes or are willing to tote around a little magnifying lense, this works ok - it is much easier for me than printing the pages I need to read and lugging them around.

It is also a little time consuming - at least with the 512 page textbook I was doing this with - it "flattens" each page, which took about 5-10 minutes, to print into .xps and then using Primo PDF it took about 30 minutes to print.  However, this isn't a horrible issue for me either as I only have to do this once for each book.

I hope this helps and hopefully BN will see all these comments and release some kind of update in the future to be able to open protected PDFs.

Samantha

New User
Samilynne
0 Kudos

I have version 1.4 and as of this morning talking to Nook Tech support, the Nook does not support Password Protected PDFs

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS

[ Edited ]

Samilynne wrote:

I have version 1.4 and as of this morning talking to Nook Tech support, the Nook does not support Password Protected PDFs

The tech you talked to is incorrect.  There may be some books that cannot open, notably those that ask for a userid and password, and some that actually go out to a site to check.  But those that open with a simple password have worked since 1.3.

See page 119 of the current 1.4 manual

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_NOOK_v1_4.pdf

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Let me emphasize what TNS just said.

The NOOK opens password-protected PDFs which are the normal kind of protected PDFs. It does not currently work with username&password-protected PDFs which a few schools (notably the University of Phoenix) use.

Don't confuse the two kinds of protection.

New User
Samilynne
0 Kudos

Grand Canyon University also uses password protected (user name and password) PDFs and they are unable to be opened on the Nook.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 793 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: