Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
dollfin02
0 Kudos

Does the Nook read books aloud?

I cannot remember if it was the Nook i was looking at or the Kindle, but is there a way that the Nook will read a book out loud?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Does the Nook read books aloud?

No, that's the kindle that has text to speech.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

And, not all Kindle books have the text to speech feature.

Contributor
BrentB
0 Kudos

I've heard the kindle's text-to-speech, and it's pretty sad.  If you want to listen to books, try Audible.com where you can hear really talented (mostly) human readers.

Frequent Contributor
ReadingBum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

audio books is the only way I know of, to get the nook to read outloud.  But as for text to speech, nook does not have it.

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

Keep in mind that text to speech is not the same as an audio book.   The content is there but it sounds mechanical and unemotional.   This can be useful for just getting through material but not really enjoyable for just reading a novel or something like that.

New User
tbendix
0 Kudos

I am a very happy owner a Kindle ... and I absolutely don't agree with you about the text-to-speech quality. I'm really surprised how close it is to human speech.

Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

I just used my friends Kindle, and on the book she was reading, it didn't sound too bad, but I wouldn't wan't to listen to it for long.  There was also an occasional error.  It will probably get better in time.

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
New User
theblindcupid
0 Kudos

The Amazon Kindle reads to you through the Text-to-Speech option but the Nook does not have this option. I LOVE my Kindles Text-to-Speech option. I use it daily!!! But I do have to say that I have a Kindle keyboard 2nd Generation and the voice sounds much better then my Moms 3rd Generation Kindle. I'm not sure why they changed the voice in the Kindle 3rd Generation but if you are going to use the Text-to-Speech alot I would buy a Keyboard 2nd Gen. forsure.  Plus the Kindle Text-to-Speech saves me tons of money each year from having to buy expensive Audio books. My Amazon Kindle Rocks!!!
Smiles, Shawna

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

To clarify for anyone reading this thread and thinking of running out and getting a kindle - note that the Paperwhite does NOT have this feature, just the older kindles.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 644 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: