Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
JohnTMN
0 Kudos

Downloaded book won't open in Nook

A recent eBook purchase won't open on the Nook but it will on my laptop and iPod.  The first time the Nook stayed on the 'Opening' screen for a long time.  I archived and downloaded again only to have it stay on the 'Loading' screen forever.

Remedies?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Downloaded book won't open in Nook

@JohnTMN,

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for any issues you have had accessing/attempting to access eBooks in your nook Library.

Below I have administered instructions that should alleviate most of these issues:

On the nook,
1.Tap on "My Library" from the Home screen (all of these steps are done in your "Library" on your nook)
2. Highlight the eBook (that you were unable to access) and tap "View Item Details & Options".
3. Then tap "Archive" and follow the on-screen prompts
4. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Once this update is completed, then you want to Unarchive the eBook in order to re-download the content

1. Ensure that you are still in My B&N Library section of My Library
2. Navigate to and Highlight the eBook you want to download (it should be grayed out).
3. Tap "View Item Details & Options".
4. Tap "Unarchive." and then tap "ok"
5. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

You should now have access to that eBook.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader
JohnTMN
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Did this twice before writing the first note... turns out third time was a charm I guess.  It works now, thanks.

New User
0 Kudos

I wish 3rd time was a charm for me... I'm on my 4th try and am still getting the "loading" message and a blank screen.

What do we do if this STILL doesn't work?

C

New User
0 Kudos

9 times! WOW talk about frustrating... but it's working now... Hope this isn't a constant thing.

New User
Tiki21
0 Kudos

have tried this 5 times now and it still wont open.... its stuck on opening your book but it shows the cover of it in the touch screen

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Tiki21 wrote:

have tried this 5 times now and it still wont open.... its stuck on opening your book but it shows the cover of it in the touch screen

I had this problem yesterday.  Initially, archiving and unarchiving didn't work for me, so I archived the book and then turned my nook off and then on.  Once it started back up, I unarchived the book and then turned my nook off and then on again (without trying to open the book).  When it restarted my book opened fine.

New User
me_no_one_can_stop_it
0 Kudos

I've tried that and just about everything else.  I bought a book called "Ashes Ashes" on my nook and no matter what i do it will not open.  When i do try to open it, i go to my library, click the book, and it will start to open.  On the screen it will show the "Opening Your Book" sign but the touch screen will just be flat gray.  After a few seconds of it "opening" my book, it will go right back to my library as if i had never tried to read the book.  I've tried Archiving it on my nook and on the computer.  The other books i had already had on my nook still open without problem.  On the computer when i check, it says "Not yet shipped" where it shows my orders.  Should i just wait a while and try again?  It's already been about 30 minutes since i've bought it, maybe longer.  Have any suggestions?

Contributor
Dizkneefan
0 Kudos

I've tried this archive/unarchive solution many times, even while being on the phone with Customer Support and I still have 3 books purchased since the 1.7 upgrade that just won't open. Any other ideas? 

New User
s2kitty
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I bought a book last night and for the longest time didn't show up in my email as being bought and didn't show up on the Nook.

This morning it showed up, but I'm getting the same "Opening Book" then it returns to my Library. I've tried archiving and unarchiving on the nook and the computer about 5-6 times now and the book STILL won't open. I'm wondering if there is a new bug going around? I'm very very frustrated and feeling like I don't trust B&N anymore. I've turned the Nook off and on and off and on and I really don't know what else to try. I feel like I should be refunded, delete the book, and perhaps purchase it again and see if that works?

**EDIT**

Ok so I archived the book, and un-archived on B&N.com

I then downloaded the book to my desktop.

I then connected my Nook to my computer and manually moved the file from the desktop to the Nook. I "ejected" the Nook from the computer and hit "Download new content" on my Nook. My book FINALLY appeared and opened properly, though the cover of the book isn't showing up properly. What is important is that I can read the book at last.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

I  don't know if you tried this or not. If you already did then ignore my post.

Simply archiving and un-archiving the book is not enough to re-download it.

The steps are:

1) Archive the book on B&N website.

2) Check for new B&N content on your NOOK. This is the step that will delete the bad copy on your NOOK. You must be connected via WiFi or 3G at this time.

3) Un-archive the book on the B&N website.

4) Check for new B&N content on your NOOK. THis step will download a new copy of the book.

The reason I am posting these steps is that you said you archived and un-archived the book but made no mention of checking for new B&N content in between. If you did do that than forget I said anything.

New User
New_nooker
0 Kudos

When i do the "Check for new B&N Progress" steps, my nook just says "In progress" on the touch screen but it doesn't seem to do anything or make a difference, is that how it's supposed to be?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

New_nooker wrote:

When i do the "Check for new B&N Progress" steps, my nook just says "In progress" on the touch screen but it doesn't seem to do anything or make a difference, is that how it's supposed to be?

Yep, that's it.  After you archive on the website, and you check for new content, you'll see the "in progress" message.  Once it's done and that message is gone (and the check for new content button is no longer grayed out), look for your book to make sure it's gone.  Then you can go back to the website and unarchive the book, check for new content again, and open your re-downloaded book.

ETA - This is for the N1E only.  For the N2E, there is no message, just an animated sync button.

New User
New_nooker
0 Kudos

Oh wait!!  It finally worked!!!!  Thank you so much!:smileyvery-happy:

New User
senor49
0 Kudos

i have books from last month that i still cannot download. not only that it doesnt download, it doesnt go to the nook.  this never happens on kindle. on the nook it takes for ever to transfer or download, on kindle it moves in 30 seconds. i will never buy another nook even if they give it to me for $1. im so sick of dealing with no downloads. why cant they fix it once and forever. dont they realize that they are loosing customers?

New User
Nook_Maggs40
0 Kudos

Mine still will not work. I have tried numerous times....
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 497 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: