New User
ISblogger
0 Kudos

Re: Downloading books overseas

I am a US citizen but I now live in Israel.  There are two ways to do this as far as I have found. 

One is to have someone you trust who lives in the US (a relative or friend) use your B&N account to download books to Nook for PC there.  Then you access your account on Nook PC and then download to the Nook itself.  Another way is to download from ePub compatible sites (such as Kobobooks) then use Adobe Digital Editions, that shows e-Pub books and enables you to drag and drop them into a Nook (called "media") connected to your PC.  Both of these stratagems have worked for me, the latter is easier.  It means that B&N are losing a lot of income by not making life easier for their e-book readers.

New User
goldenfan2006
0 Kudos

I can understand the copyrights and such. However, why wouldn't they be willing to let you download if you had a USA billing address? I'm active duty military deployed to the middle east...again....and found out the hard way that I can't download ANYTHING because I'm outside the geographical US. But I'm still a damn American and my home is still on a street in the US. So just because my IP address says I'm not in America, I don't get the benefits the other Americans (who don't get shipped away from their family every other year and bombed) get? I can understand legal issues, but give us some slack, we need our morale.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

goldenfan2006 wrote:
I can understand the copyrights and such. However, why wouldn't they be willing to let you download if you had a USA billing address? I'm active duty military deployed to the middle east...again....and found out the hard way that I can't download ANYTHING because I'm outside the geographical US. But I'm still a damn American and my home is still on a street in the US. So just because my IP address says I'm not in America, I don't get the benefits the other Americans (who don't get shipped away from their family every other year and bombed) get? I can understand legal issues, but give us some slack, we need our morale.

If you use your military email address you can purchase books from anywhere in the world where you have access to wifi to download to a computer and sideload to your Nook.

New User
Sling25
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I can understand why you're frustrated.  My sister bought me a Nook for Christmas, and she lives in the states.  She gave it to me while I was visiting there - and let me tell you, it's AMAZING.  I absolutely love it.  I had concerns that it may not work when I got back abroad, and sure enough, it doesn't.  However, there may be one way around your internet issue while you're abroad.  You'll want to acquire VPN.  This is something you input into your wireless info on your computer and gives you access to websites in the States - so that you can access BN.com and download books to your pc; and then to your nook on an SD card.  Try strongvpn.com for starters.  Huge help to me.

Good luck!

Darla

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Sling25 wrote:

Hi there,

I can understand why you're frustrated.  My sister bought me a Nook for Christmas, and she lives in the states.  She gave it to me while I was visiting there - and let me tell you, it's AMAZING.  I absolutely love it.  I had concerns that it may not work when I got back abroad, and sure enough, it doesn't.  However, there may be one way around your internet issue while you're abroad.  You'll want to acquire VPN.  This is something you input into your wireless info on your computer and gives you access to websites in the States - so that you can access BN.com and download books to your pc; and then to your nook on an SD card.  Try strongvpn.com for starters.  Huge help to me.

Good luck!

Darla

As long as someone has a B&N account with a US credit card, they can now purchase books while abroad.  

Frequent Contributor
ImpliedConsent
0 Kudos

Shinolahead wrote:

I have since switched my e-mail address (I didn't create a new account) in my account to my .mil address and have downloaded a book without issue. Seems like such a simple solution to these sort of things for military members I wonder why other businesses haven't implemented it.

Thanks Shino, I will be switching mine now as well to my .mil email address. Here's to X'd fingers that this will work.  Will know shortly.

New User
it67
0 Kudos

I went ahead and changed my email address to my military it worked for one day, Not sure but they want me to change my Credit Card Billing address and I explained to them if I did that I would not be receiving my bills. Thanks

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:5 members 264 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: