Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Lanier-1
0 Kudos

Downloading books overseas

From what tech support has told me over the phone, when customers come to my store asking can they buy and download books while traveling or living overseas, they may be unable to access of download new books to the Nook. Why is this...seems that they cancels the Nooks ability to function as a truly mobie, digital device.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Re: Downloading books overseas

B&N has been completely explicit, from the launch of the nook, that you cannot purchase new books while overseas.  this is not new.

You can, if you have wifi access, re-download books ALREADY in your account.  But there are legal/copyright issues that B&N needs to work out before they can sell books in foreign countries.  

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Lanier-1 wrote:

seems that they cancels the Nooks ability to function as a truly mobie, digital device.

B&N sells books in the US. When they get bookselling rights, they get rights for the US and, sometimes, Canada. This is the case for most booksellers; titles come with geographic restrictions. (To a less fractured extent, the same is true of DVDs, which are region-coded.)

With a NOOK you have the option to buy e-books from other booksellers. Whitestones (UK) seems to have worldwide rights on many (most? all?) of the e-books that they carry. However, this will require computer access in order to purchase and sideload the e-book.

Your NOOK works fine for reading your e-books, no matter where you are. But in order to buy wirelessly, you have to buy from B&N, and if you buy from B&N, you need to be in the US (Canada is okay for some titles).

As already noted, B&N has been quite clear about the NOOK being intended for American access. It is only sold in the United States. Most Americans rarely travel out of the country, and when they do they can easily load up a number of e-books before leaving.

Contributor
Lanier-1
0 Kudos

B&N may have been explicit about this point but that doesn't mean everyone has heard about it. Traditionally B&N has not done advertising on the scale that Apple or Amazon has on their devices. 

To be quite frank with you, one should never assume that Americans don't travel overseas. I don't know where anyone got that notion. There are lots of American military people that have come into the our store who want a Nook to take overseas. They will have to load up before they go. But why couldn't they buy and downloard overseas? If you are buying wirelessly, what difference should it make whether you are oversears or not?There are also foreign nationals who would like to take a Nook back with them to their country to use. Since the Nook is restricted to the US and partly Canada for downloading purposes, perhpas they need a way to overcome that. No doubt, if there are legal and copyright issues, yes, then its going to require some working out.

Like I said, this does limit the functionality of buying and downloading internationally. Will the WIFI browser work overseas? Now I wonder.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

The Wifi browser works fine outside the USA (here in the Netherlands).

The difference between the Kindle store and B&N is how the geographical restrictions are implemented.

The Kindle store uses the address in your Amazon account to determine your country. If you have an American address in your account, you can buy all the books in the Kindle store. A lot of people from outside the USA use this loophole to have access to all books in the Kindle store, instead of only those for their country.

B&N uses your IP-address to determine your country. The Nook 3G does not work outside the USA. If your Nook has a wifi connection outside the USA it will have a non-USA ip-address, and because of that you will not be allowed to buy books. The country check is only used when buying (paying) for books (also on the B&N website). So books that have already been paid, can be downloaded anywhere in the world.

Reader
BariSax
0 Kudos

Living in Kuwait has been a reading nightmare! I swear I have read everything in English available. I am ready from Jeopardy!

After many communications with B&N I got the Nook had it shipped to a friend who in turn mailed it to me. I was assured that I would be able to download books to my PC and then slide it over to my device even though I was in Kuwait.

Well, got my Nook and was more excited than a 4yo at Christmas......

Now I know the WiFi thing is not going to work and I don't have to register my device even though it is recommended... but I cant download a single book to my PC.... I am HOT AS FISH GREASE!

Just returning the damn thing is not going to solve my issue. Can anyone make a suggestion (other than fedex it to a friend and have her load it up and have her fedex it back)?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Barisax, you can use Wifi to register your Nook and to download books to your Nook. You just cannot use your Nook to buy the books.

Take a look at the Nook forum over at Mobileread.com. You will find a lot of information there about using the Nook outside the USA, and how to buy books from B&N using your PC.

I have sent you an PM.

Reader
BariSax
0 Kudos

Thanks, but I have been told that cannot download books period outside of the US and Canada from the B&N site. So when I get away from the sand and more sand ... there is gonna be a problem LOL.. I think my real issue is that the CS agent wasnt straight with me about what I could and couldnt do. I will try your suggestion! If there are any more out there I would be happy to lock up my PC for a couple of hours behind a book!:smileysad:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

BariSax wrote:

Living in Kuwait has been a reading nightmare! I swear I have read everything in English available. I am ready from Jeopardy!

After many communications with B&N I got the Nook had it shipped to a friend who in turn mailed it to me. I was assured that I would be able to download books to my PC and then slide it over to my device even though I was in Kuwait.

Well, got my Nook and was more excited than a 4yo at Christmas......

Now I know the WiFi thing is not going to work and I don't have to register my device even though it is recommended... but I cant download a single book to my PC.... I am HOT AS FISH GREASE!

Just returning the damn thing is not going to solve my issue. Can anyone make a suggestion (other than fedex it to a friend and have her load it up and have her fedex it back)?

Since you are sideloading the books anyway, check some of the other eBook sites, such as

Kobo, Waterstones or Diesel  Waterstones is in the UK and I was able to purchase a book from it (I'm in the US).  I don't know if the other places will sell internationally, but it's worth a check.

I believe what they meant or should have said about the B&N library, is that you can download books already in your B&N library while overseas.  If you have someone here that you trust, they should be able to log into your B&N account and buy the books for you, then you "should" be able to download them, from what I understand, once they have been purchased and are in your library.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
BariSax wrote:

I have been told that cannot download books period outside of the US and Canada from the B&N site.

It's called out in detail on pages 34-35 of the NOOK User Guide (1.3):

[Purchasing e-books from BN via NOOK]

You can only purchase digital content if you have a billing address in the United States, U.S. Territories, or Canada. You cannot purchase digital content if you have an international or APO/FPO billing address. You can only purchase digital content when physically within the United States, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, Palau, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or Canada. When you travel outside these areas, you can download digital content to your NOOK that you have already purchased (if you have a Wi-Fi connection, but you cannot buy digital content. Some items are not available for purchase in Canada.

[Purchasing e-books from B&N via Web]

You can only purchase digital content if you have a billing address in the United States, U.S. Territories, or Canada. You cannot purchase digital content if you have an international or APO/FPO (Army Post Office/Fleet Post Office) billing address. You can only purchase digital content when physically within the United States, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, Palau, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or Canada. Some items are not available for purchase in Canada.

[Downloading already-purchased B&N e-books]

You can download previously purchased items to your NOOK from anywhere that you have a Wi-Fi hotspot your NOOK can use...

As far as buying and downloading from a computer goes, this is from the B&N Reader FAQ:

You can download eBooks from your eBooks Library that have already been purchased. You will not be able to purchase eBooks if you are traveling outside of the United States.

Reader
andrew77
0 Kudos

I live in Puerto Rico. I don't have a nook yet, I only have the program for managing the nook on my computer. Recently, I can't download ebooks because they are not permitting billing adresses from outside the continental USA. So there have been a change of policy it seems on the matter.The absurd part is that I can go to Best Buy and buy a Nook.I can get ebooks from manybooks.net by dragging them into the program interface.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

andrew77: I'd call Customer Service. Puerto Rico is fully supported by NOOK, including 3G access and e-book purchasing.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@andrew77,

I have sent you a Private Messsage (PM).

Inspired Contributor
Harrkev
0 Kudos

OK, this is not quite a great solution, but it can work if you travel with a laptop.

You can set up a VPN at your home router (in the USA).  While travelling, you can use your laptop to establish a VPN link to your home.  After that, it looks to the rest of the world like you ARE still at home (including being able to access networked drives and printers).  Then you can use your web browser to download titles from BN.com and side-load those to your nook.

More of a pain, I admit, but definately do-able.

Now, getting the VPN connection is a bit of work, but I use mine constantly.  If you check your e-mail using POP, your password is generally send "in the clear" over a wireless network, so VPN is useful even when at the Starbucks down the street, as well as overseas.

My current preferred solution is to use PPTP to my router.  Only a few routers support VPN (either PPTP or IPSEC).  I did use a D-Link DIR-130, but upgraded to an old Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT firmware.

If you have a compuer that you leave on constantly, you can use OpenSSH also, and then just poke holes in your firewall.

New User
Skribe
0 Kudos

Easiest solution: Return the Nook; buy a Kindle.  You shouldn't have to "work around" the Nook's limitations.  Our family has both Nooks and Kindles.  The form factor is similar enough that if you like the Nook, you'll be happy enough with the Kindle.    I have a Nook, but I bought the Kindle for my son because I don't like B&Ns requirement to register a credit card with every Nook, even though I specifically asked "Can I just use gift cards for his purchases?" and was told "yes." Well technically, sure... if you keep loading gift cards, but there's no way to block or limit the purchases to the amount of the gift card and kids ... okay sorry so off track here :smileyhappy: Anyway... buy a Kindle so you can read and purchase all you want! :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ Skribe,

The "easiest solution" is not necessarily the best solution for everyone.  Kindle had the same international limitations when it first came out, so the need to "work around" is really not a big deal and should not send anyone running the other way without making sure that by gaining one feature they are not then losing others.

Reader 2
Shinolahead
0 Kudos

Just thought I'd post this for the military overseas members running into this problem. I e-mailed customer service about using my APO as a billing address as I do not have a credit card billed to a stateside address. Here's the relevant bit from the response:

"This limitation affects U.S. Military personnel serving overseas.
However, you will be able to purchase and download ebooks if you create
your Barnes & Noble account using your .mil email address."

I have since switched my e-mail address (I didn't create a new account) in my account to my .mil address and have downloaded a book without issue. Seems like such a simple solution to these sort of things for military members I wonder why other businesses haven't implemented it.

New User
speee1dy
0 Kudos

Hmmmm, when i had used my mom's address in the states, i was able to download the free ebooks to my computer. i recentley purchased some real books and used my home address in the UNITED STATES VIRGIN ISLANDS ( a us territory ) and it would not me download the ebooks. I would have preferred a Nook since i live in the united states virgin islands, but if i can not download books, i will have to get the kindle.

New User
megvalz
0 Kudos

I have a quick question, as you seem to know about downloading.  My daughter is going to

South Korea for a year.  I have a nook account and I would like to get her a nook, add it to my account, and buy all our books in the US but just allow her to download them in Korea.  she would have access to my account.

I do not need for her to be able to BUY the books while in Korea.

One Nook person said it would work, another said it would not work.

Any thoughts???

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

megvalz wrote:

I have a quick question, as you seem to know about downloading.  My daughter is going to

South Korea for a year.  I have a nook account and I would like to get her a nook, add it to my account, and buy all our books in the US but just allow her to download them in Korea.  she would have access to my account.

Any thoughts???

megvalz wrote:

Any thoughts???

That will work just fine.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 157 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: