New User
raybob85
0 Kudos

Downloading eBooks in Afghanistan

I was wondering if anyone can help me!? Apparently we can't download books outside of the U.S. and Canada. I'm over in Afghanistan, so I got my mom in Florida to download one for me on my account. Any help on how I can sync my Nook with my computer? Does the Nook have to have Wifi enabled? I thought it would just be able to take the Wifi from my computer, but I havent been able to transfer the purchases. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Contributor
Nookified
0 Kudos

Re: Downloading eBooks in Afghanistan

Have you tried sideloading them? DL them from your account online to your computer then drag and drop them into my documents on your nook. .  Not sure what other out of country people do. They may have a better option.

But this is the easiest way I can think of off the top of my head.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I believe sideloading is your only option.

I'm not sure how the wifi works with downloading out of the country.

Contributor
Tylith
0 Kudos

You can only purchase an ebook in the United States (Canada for a very few). However once purchased you should be able to download (Via WiFi, or Sideloading) from anywhere.

Frequent Contributor
Tropicseed
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you search this forum, there are quite a few threads on this topic. Try searching on "international" and "overseas", and maybe "outside the USA". There are enough that I can't remember all the titles!

Anyway, the general rules are that you cannot buy books outside the USA, but you can download previously bought ebooks from your BN account to your nook anywhere in the world, as long as you can connect to a WiFi network.

I live in Mexico and I have no trouble downloading/archiving ebooks in my BN account, and also getting the "Daily" content.

It sounds like you're already using the easiest workaround - getting your Mom to buy ebooks for you on your BN account. This should work; if it isn't please post again with more specific details.

Can you connect ok with WiFi?

patrick

Contributor
MarinaK
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I actually have the same problem, and I was part of a previous thread from someone in Spain. I'm currently deployed in Iraq and can evidently download a free ebook (just got Outlander about an hour ago) but I can't buy and download an ebook. I was told it was a copyright issue, but a free ebook is copyrighted for a certain amount of time, so what's the difference. And sideloading doesn't work, I tried to buy on my laptop and was met by the same "can't download" wall.

Also, by restricting buying and downloading ebooks, B&N is kind of shutting out those who are military and serving overseas. We shouldn't have to talk to our families back home to buy and download ebooks then send them to us overseas. I understand the copyright issue, but with what I just did today, I'm kind of wondering if that's the REAL reason...

(By the way, to the creator of this thread, thanks for your service...)

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

MarinaK wrote:

I actually have the same problem, and I was part of a previous thread from someone in Spain. I'm currently deployed in Iraq and can evidently download a free ebook (just got Outlander about an hour ago) but I can't buy and download an ebook. I was told it was a copyright issue, but a free ebook is copyrighted for a certain amount of time, so what's the difference. And sideloading doesn't work, I tried to buy on my laptop and was met by the same "can't download" wall.

Also, by restricting buying and downloading ebooks, B&N is kind of shutting out those who are military and serving overseas. We shouldn't have to talk to our families back home to buy and download ebooks then send them to us overseas. I understand the copyright issue, but with what I just did today, I'm kind of wondering if that's the REAL reason...

(By the way, to the creator of this thread, thanks for your service...)

You should not have been able to buy a free book from B&N. Free books have the same geo-restrictions as other books. Probably something went wrong on the B&N site. Usually it is not possible to buy free books from outside the US.

For copyright reasons the point of sale of a book is the bookstore location in case of a paper book, but the buyers (PC/e-reader) location in case of an e-book. That is why everyone outside the US is allowed to buy a paper book in the US, but is not allowed to buy the e-book version of the same book outside the US.

So selling e-books to people outside the US, that have an US address in their account like Amazon does, is actually not allowed, or at least a grey area.

Recently there have been complaints by the publishers that Amazon's geo-restrictions are not strict enough (a lot of people outside the US use an US address to circumvent Amazon's geo-restrictions), and the publishers want Amazon's to implement stricter geo-restrictions.

So B&N is indeed only compying with the copyright rules and a lot of other bookstores at the moment are getting away with using less stricter geo-restrictions.

Contributor
MarinaK
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

For those who are as frustrated as I am at not being able to buy and download ebooks overseas, check out the thread "Good news for miltary overseas..."

Very nice loophole... :smileyhappy:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:49 members 403 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: