Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
ldwyer
0 Kudos

Duplicate books

I updated my Nook yesterday and My B&N Library now contains duplicate copies of Little Woman and Pride and Prejudice that I can't get rid of.  Any suggestions?

Frequent Contributor
Titans95
0 Kudos

Re: Duplicate books

Go to your account online and delete the duplicate copies.

Frequent Contributor
Fizix
0 Kudos

Deleting duplicate coppies on MyB&N only partialy solves the problem.  The problem I have noticed is that all B&N content is duplicated.  That means their free books as well as topics in the Daily.  And you cannot delete topics in Daily.

It's also not a nook-specific problem.  All items that are duplicated are done so on the nook, in your MyB&N on the web, as well as on your PC eReader client if you have that.

New User
Perpetuum
0 Kudos

Mine is doing the same thing. So frustrating! I tried archiving the duplicates, but they still show up on my nook, although not in "bold" as the others are. If I delete the duplicate online, it deletes BOTH copies! I don't know what to do.

Contributor
matt_bez
0 Kudos

Deleting them from my account on bn.com removed the duplicates for me. I first archived the duplicates on the PC Ereader, then deleted them from my archive on the website. 

Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe
0 Kudos

I have the same issue.  It happened after I manually updated my Nook to 1.2.  

Don't Panic
Frequent Contributor
clka
0 Kudos

I had duplicates of the user guide and nook tour appear after the update, but they disappeared after I did a "check for new content".

Frequent Contributor
Snowie
0 Kudos

I have a duplicate of a side loaded book. It's not duplicated when I look in the my documents folder when the Nook is attached to my computer but it's there on the nook none the less, and they both work too. It's odd and slightly annoying but hey the rest of the update works so I'll deal. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Snowie wrote:

I have a duplicate of a side loaded book. It's not duplicated when I look in the my documents folder when the Nook is attached to my computer but it's there on the nook none the less, and they both work too. It's odd and slightly annoying but hey the rest of the update works so I'll deal. :smileyhappy:

Do you have a MicroSD expansion card?

Did you copy it twice, once to the expansion card and once to the nook itself?

Did you delete a copy of this sideloaded book at any time? 

The last question above caught me my surprise when a .Trash folder was found on the nook after a delete of several sideloads.  It contained all the things it deleted.  This varies with the Operating system.

If you have two copies, they must be in different directories, or have slightly different names.  If you side load with Calibre after converting a book from one format to another be sure Caliber did not sideload both formats to the nook.  

Frequent Contributor
Snowie
0 Kudos

Yeah, I'm thinking I  do have two versions of it from caliber. I don't have a sd card so that's not it. I'm not too fussed about it but I'll probably go ahead and remove and readd it sometime this weekend. It only showed up as a duplicate after I downloaded the upgrade.

Frequent Contributor
ediebTN
0 Kudos

I've got the same problem.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

ediebTN wrote:

I've got the same problem.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one. 

The solution has already been posted.  Clean up this issue by visiting your B&N account and deleting the older books.  

Reader
willsad
0 Kudos

I'm not sure the work around works.  I've deleted the duplicate content on the B&N web account and then ran check updates for my library.  The duplicate content still shows on the nook and does not show on the web.

I'd love a real solution at somepoint.   As a side note I have the same problem with Sample books.  Yes, I've read that thread.  The same work around for this issue has no effect.

All up the update is an improvement.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Check for new B&N content,   not check for new content.

But, lets assume that's what you really meant to say....

Try archiving the remaining copies from the web page.  

Then Check for B&N content again from the web.

Worst case: Delete them manually from the nook via your computer and re-download.

Reader
willsad
0 Kudos

ok check that.  maybe it is a server propagation issue.  i checked content about an hour after doing this the last time and the duplicates were gone.

no samples, no dups now.  wish it was a bit more in sync with the server but I'll live

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

willsad wrote:

ok check that.  maybe it is a server propagation issue.  i checked content about an hour after doing this the last time and the duplicates were gone.

no samples, no dups now.  wish it was a bit more in sync with the server but I'll live

Ah-HA!...

More evidence of my theory of nook operations that I posted here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBooks-Help-Board/B-amp-N-s-In-Store-Network-or-lack-thereof/...

Frequent Contributor
bkai
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

At bn.com, do NOT use the Flash library or the library on the initial "My B&N" page with the green background.  This simply does NOT work all the time.  Use the My eBooks Library in the left navigation menu to add/remove/archive books.  Then sync your Nook and your B&N Desktop application.

They seriously need to fix all these stupid little amateur issues!

This is extremely unprofessional... I have first year, part time employees that can code up web applications such as this to handle hundreds of thousands of clients flawlessly.  You would think B&N could at least do the same?!

Correspondent
katworley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Snowie wrote:

I had an apparent duplicate sideloaded book, but it turned out that it was a variation of the "misnamed" ebook issue, where two books had the same name in the metadata, so one appeared twice on the Nook and the other didn't appear at all. The files in the Finder (I'm on a Mac) were properly named, but on the nook only the one showed, but it was there twice. Earlier posters with this issue noted that apparently one of the files overshadowed the other, so opening either entry resulted in a single book being opened. I ended up downloading new copies of both books from eReader.com, replacing the files in Calibre, and then reloading them onto the nook. These were DRM-protected files, so Calibre couldn't modify the metadata. 

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
New User
alicesg
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This deletes or archives all of the copies. I would like to keep one on my nook

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 215 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: