Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
daisypap
0 Kudos

E-Book just purchased on won't download to Nook - Any suggestions?

Yesterday I purchased an E-Book called "Matterhorn."  The purchase went through and the book became available for download.  I went to download it on my nook and the only thing that pops up for the book is the "overview".  When I press the download button - it seems to start downloading and then I receive an error "Unable to process request".  I have tried since yesterday to download the book.  I spoke with B&N Customer Support 3 times - I have tried all of these measures:

(1) De-register Nook/Re-Register Nook - (Twice)

(2) Turn nook off for 30 minutes

(3) Make sure battery charged to 75% - then download book

(4) I even downloaded a free book to my nook with no problems - so my wi-fi is working. 

(5) My husband has a Nook Color and it won't download on his Nook either.

(6) The Nook Customer Service Rep I spoke to this morning told me that she was able to download the book just fine. 

Eventually - she just agreed to credit my account for the book - but why in the world won't it download to my Nook???

Contributor
daisypap
0 Kudos

Re: E-Book just purchased on won't download to Nook - Any suggestions?

By the way, the book is a .pdb format instead of epub format. 

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

First, I don't think that NOOKcolor will read PDBs.  Now another question:

Did you purchase this book from B&N?

The only PDBs I've bought were from FictionWise--a B&N company, but not B&N--and those PDBs had to be "sideloaded."  I used Calibre for sideloading PDBs.

(If the book was from B&N) Did you try archiving the book and then downloading it?

If for some reason the book is corrupted, archiving it will ensure that you download a "new" copy.

Hope one of these ideas helps.   

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

daisypap wrote:

By the way, the book is a .pdb format instead of epub format. 

You purchased the ebook from B&N?

.pdb format is not a recognized format for the NookColor, that's why it wouldn't load onto your husband's NC.

Contributor
daisypap
0 Kudos

To answer your questions - Yes I purchased the book from B&N.  I will try archiving (as you suggest) tonight when I get home.  Thanks for your help. 

Contributor
daisypap
0 Kudos

just tried archiving and it still doesn't download - received the message "Unable to Complete the Operation."  any other suggestions.  Of course, B&N customer service is no help at all.  

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Sorry, but I'm quite confused now.  Here is the link to the title you mention: 

Matterhorn  

Since this title has no mention of its being only for NOOK (classic), it cannot be PDB. 

(If, like me, you shop coupon sales for non-Agency titles--and this is a non-Agency title--you may have picked up this title elsewhere in PDB.)

My best guess right now is that you may have at some point downloaded a B&N sample, which would give you the overview.

Then you bought a PDB copy (not B&N).  You can certainly sideload the PDB copy.  Open it first in Calibre (a quick google or search of these boards for Calibre will explain Calibre), then sideload it.  Your sideloaded titles will be found in My Documents, not in My B&N Library.

Also, in rereading your OP, you say that B&N refunded your money?  Does the book still appear in your B&N Library at the B&N website?  If the title is still in your B&N Library on the web, is it the sample?

Contributor
daisypap
0 Kudos

So after continued frustrations at not being able to download this book and after 4 phone calls with "customer service" - I just went to my local Barnes & Noble store for help.  The minute the sales guy starts trying to download my book - it works immediately.  Of course, I feel like an idiot because I have been trying for 2 days to download it.  He tells me that B&N has been having trouble with their servers for several days and I wasn't the first person who came in with that problem.  I told him that the telephone customer service reps should have just told me that from the beginning so I would not have wasted hours on the phone with them.  His response - Don't ever call the customer service line, just come to the store if you have a problem.  

Moral of the story - if you are having problems with your nook - go to the actual store - don't call the 1-800 number.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ daisypap,

Glad you got it sorted out.

Happy reading.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

daisypap wrote:

So after continued frustrations . . .  - it works immediately. 

Sorry you had so many problems.  I'm glad they are all worked out now and the book is on your NOOK.

I had Matterhorn on my wish list for a while.  It got great reviews.  

New User
bmbosse
0 Kudos

I am currently having the same issue. It seems to be only books I purchase from my computer directly from the B&N site. Any books I purchase directly through my NOOK I am able to download just fine. I'll go to the store tomorrow and see if I can get it all sorted out.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

bmbosse wrote:

I am currently having the same issue. It seems to be only books I purchase from my computer directly from the B&N site. Any books I purchase directly through my NOOK I am able to download just fine. I'll go to the store tomorrow and see if I can get it all sorted out.

If you buy books using your computer you have to choose "check for new B&N content" on your Nook to sync your Nook with your B&N account.

New User
Chrisa_Hickey
0 Kudos

My first gen nook will only download in aB&N store, which makes no sense. Ideas? All books bought from B&N.
New User
ajax147
0 Kudos

Just found a good work-around:

A book I had just purchased from B&N on my nook wasn't downloading, so I downloaded to my computer from my account online.  I had to transfer the file to "MyFiles" instead of B&N downloads, but it works!

Frequent Contributor
RichardPapen
0 Kudos

I purchased a book last night on my Nook Simple Touch and it failed to d/l.  I get a message that says "connecting", but it goes no further.  Finally un-registered and re-registered my device, and now NONE of my books will download.  I went to my local store and they told me that something is wrong with the server and this is happening on everyone's devices.  Is this the case?

She said it may take at least 24 hours to resolve and, in the interim, I'll have to sideload any books I want to read.  I'm slowly starting to wish I had gone with Amazon Kindle.  This is the second Nook I've owned that's turned out to be a disappointment.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Servers seem to be down right now. They'll work for downloading to an app like nook for PC or nook for iPad but not to an actual nook. BN says they're working on it.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 5 members 528 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: