Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
book_slave
0 Kudos

EBook downloaded into library, but did not load onto nook

Last night I attempted to download a new book from my Nook, but it did not download.  After several unsuccessful attempts to load it by checking for new B & N content in the Nook library, I logged into my computer and it is showing in my online library.  Has anyone e else experienced this problem and if so, have they received any word from tech support on how to fix it?

Thanks!

Amy

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Re: EBook downloaded into library, but did not load onto nook

I had this problem once but it only lasted about 30 minutes due to a short server problem B&N was having.

You might try archiving the book at your online library then unarchiving it.  After that try a new "check for content" on the nook.  If that doesn't work, give digital support a call.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Not with an entire book but I have two samples in my B&N library that will not show up on my Nook.  I can update 'the daily'  but when I check for new B&N content it fails to recognize these two samples.  I'm hesitant to purchase another book right now in case it will not recognize that one either.

Linda

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

One thing you could do if this book refuses to download to the nook, is to download it to your computer from your BN account, then sideload it onto the nook in your my documents folder.

I had a problem with 1 book and that worked for me.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
ABthree
0 Kudos

Unable to Open Books in B&N Library

Since the B&N server problems of the March 13-14 weekend, I've been unable to read two of the books in my Nook's B&N Library (I had no problems before).  The books are there, but when I try to open them, the Nook hangs at "Opening Your Book".  It's not a freeze:  I can navigate away and read something else, just not those two books.  Repeated Archiving, Unarchiving and downloading don't help.

Working with Tech Support, I was able to sideload additional copies into My Documents, and can read the books there, so they're duplicated, but not a total loss.

This issue has been reported before on this Board.  I hope that whoever is monitoring the Board for B&N understands that sideloading additional copies is a workaround, not a solution.  It should be unnecessary to state that books we buy from B&N should be readable in our B&N Library.  This is a problem that needs to be solved.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: Unable to Open Books in B&N Library

[ Edited ]

Oftentimes, as I understand it, formatting issues are due to something the publisher has done.  Report the problem book to Barnes and Noble and they can contact the publisher, but honestly I do think B&N tries to help people with this problem.  The workaround is I think suggested to make it possible to read the book right away before fixes are made.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
ABthree

I understand your point, but as I said in my initial posting, the books were readable until the B&N server problems of the weekend before last.  It's doubtful that two different publishers made changes that rendered two previously readable books unreadable, and happened to do it at the very same time that B&N's servers were crashing. 

Seems more likely to me that the books were corrupted on the server, which would also explain why archiving/unarchiving/downloading again won't correct the problem.  B&N Digital Support didn't seem to want to look into that possibility, although they were very helpful otherwise.

-- St. Basil the Great+
deemure
0 Kudos

Just to add to my point, the book I have issues with also was readable and is no longer.  Except I put it into my documents and read it there. 

In a lot of cases what has happened is that some books were pdb format and were re-formatted to epub, but there seemed to be a problem with some books in their epub format, so they went back to pdb for them.  The books in the BN library on your nook are in epub format now, but confusingly for a time they were epub, then pdb, back to epub again.  The books you download onto your computer from BN or with the ereader software are in pdb format.

You may want to just ask Customer Service if there are problems with the books you are having trouble with.  I did and found out my book, "The Lovely Bones" has problems and has been sent back to the publisher for re-formatting.  I believe the formatting error is in the epub version since I can read the pdb version with no problems.  You may very well have had an unlucky coincidence of more than one book being badly formatted.

Also, just so you know I went through everything to fix my problem book-reset my nook to factory settings, and all, but it boiled down to a publisher's error.

ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

deemure wrote:

In a lot of cases what has happened is that some books were pdb format and were re-formatted to epub, but there seemed to be a problem with some books in their epub format, so they went back to pdb for them. ... 

You may want to just ask Customer Service if there are problems with the books you are having trouble with.  I did and found out my book, "The Lovely Bones" has problems and has been sent back to the publisher for re-formatting. 

Thanks .  I'll give that a try with Digital Support and report back.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

I understand your point, but as I said in my initial posting, the books were readable until the B&N server problems of the weekend before last.  It's doubtful that two different publishers made changes that rendered two previously readable books unreadable, and happened to do it at the very same time that B&N's servers were crashing. 

Seems more likely to me that the books were corrupted on the server, which would also explain why archiving/unarchiving/downloading again won't correct the problem.  B&N Digital Support didn't seem to want to look into that possibility, although they were very helpful otherwise.

How right you are!  B&N is still expieriencing server problems.  I have books recently purchased that will download directly to the computer, download to the nook, download to my Blackberry but will not download through the B&N ereader software on my computer.  The software seems to think the file has downloaded but in actuality it has not.  This is isolated to a few books, prior and post purchases work fine.

I also brought this to the attention of DS, their solution of course was to download the file directly and import it into 'MyStuff," which I had already done.  It allows me to read the book on the computer if I wish, but it does not solve the problem.  I too got the impression that they were reluctant to consider a server problem.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your feedback and we apologize for any issues you have had accessing/attempting to access eBooks in your nook Library.

Below I have administered instructions that should alleviate most of these issues:

On the nook,

1.Tap on "My Library" from the Home screen (all of these steps are done in your "Library" on your nook)

2. Highlight the eBook (that you were unable to access) and tap "View Item Details & Options".

3. Then tap "Archive" and follow the on-screen prompts

4. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Once this update is completed, then you want to Unarchive the eBook in order to re-download the content

1. Ensure that you are still in My B&N Library section of My Library

2. Navigate to and Highlight the eBook you want to download (it should be grayed out).

3. Tap "View Item Details & Options".

4. Tap "Unarchive." and then tap "ok"

5. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

You should now have access to that eBook.

If the issue persists after taking these steps, please let me know.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
teencierose
0 Kudos

Hello,

What happens when you don't have an "archive" option?

I am now the owner of a brand new nook! (I'm so very excited as I've wanted one for a long time & received it yesterday for my birthday! Wheee...

Okay, now I have read through postings, searched and read many area's of my User Guide, this is the same issue I'm having.

As soon as I registered sucessfully, my library (earlier accessed via my Blackberry) was instantly viewable. However, I have spent several hours trying to get my ebooks to download to my nook, and consistently receive "Your nook Was Unable to Connect", but I have confirmed my WiFi connection is "Excellent". I am able to use my laptop on the same wireless router with absolutely no issues.

Help please?

Thank you!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@teencierose,

I believe the unable to connect is a misleading message.

Check your B&N account settings, particularly your Default Credit Card. Make sure your name and billing address for the credit card on B&N matches your billing statement from the credit card company.

Of course if this does not work post back here and/or contact B&N customer support at 1-800-THE-BOOK.

New User
teencierose
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI,

I was just returning to say, indeed I had figured out that exact same thing!

I thought with every work-around I'd read, everyone suggested accessing your library, archiving, etc... I signed on, online and attempted to download, and then received the error. I remembered the card I had used as my default did expire just a few days ago. As soon as I made the adjustment, I tried to download my everyday read again, and wha-la!

Thanks so much for your "confirmation" of my activity. I was pretty pleased I figured it out on my own! Wheeee... now I am able to enjoy my new nook!

Take care,

~teencierose

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@teencierose,

Regarding the Archive option, content might have been archived (deleted from your nook but kept in your online digital library) and the archived items are hidden. Tap my library > Show archived items to show archived items.

Then follow the steps I shared earlier.  Let me know how this goes..

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader
goodjoan
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem.  I bought my nook today, came home, made sure my registration, address, credit card, etc were all up to date via my desktop computer, then registered the nook. I made sure my wi-fi was working, I made sure the nook was charged, etc. Then I tried to download a few samples and a free book and they say they are downloaded but they do not show up on the nook at all.  They DO appear in "MyB&N" on my desktop.  I've done a hard reboot and tried "check for new content" several times but it seems they just won't load.  During one try, "The Daily" did load several items, and they work fine, but when I went back to my library, still no luck.

I realize I can probably download them to my PC and move them via the USB cable, but being able to download on the fly via wifi was the reason I bought this!  Is this a common problem?  A newtwork glitch?  Should I have bought a Kindle?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

GoodJoan:

You are seeing a common first time problem.

(Every single person posting this type of problem is posting their FIRST or second post.).

In addition to all the hints posted in this thread, and several others of similar nature), double check your B&N account.  Many people report problems when they include a middle initial in the account, fail to designate one card as their default card, or have the wrong address.  Re enter it all just to be sure.

Make sure the nook is properly registered, and make sure you can browse the B&N store by pressing the Shop Icon on the nook.  You should see the Store content, and the sale on John Grisham books.  If not, you are not getting connected properly.

Then exit the store, tap My Library icon, and the Check for new B&N content.

If you still can't open it, Archive it.  (either from the nook or from the website) and then select

Check for new B&N content again, the select Show Archived Items, and unarchive the book, and wait till it downloads a fresh copy.

Don't be in a hurry pressing icons, but don;t sit there for half an hour waiting either.  It takes seconds, not minutes.

Reader
goodjoan
0 Kudos

icebike,

Thanks for the reply!  I can see everything in the shop, the gresham sale, I can sort and browse with no problems. I can even purchase and download and it SAYS it did it properly, but it never gets delivered.  I can't archive a free sample, so I even tried buying a free book and a paid book.  Both show up in my orders (on the website) and show as delivered, but they aren't showing up in my library.  I have tried to archive and unarchive them, via the website and the 'show archived books' option but still no love.  Even the online delivery update says it may take as much as 60 minutes, but it's been a few hours now and still nothing.  It thinks it's been delivered, but the nook doesn't see them.

I have double checked my default address, and my credit card info is correct (and set as default) because it charged me just fine when I ordered the book!  And my nook is showing up in 'my account'  as properly registered and linked to my account.

I'm baffled! I guess it's time to call support!

Frequent Contributor
digital_eyes
0 Kudos

I have seen this problem on four books in 3 months of use.  The problem I see is that a book will not open on the nook.   In some cases it orignally would open in other cases it never opened.  In all cases they load onto the nook just fine (can see it in the library listing and the actual file when connected to the PC).  The only thing that works is to download to PC and side load to my documents.  I have tried to archive/unarchive many times w/o success.

The one bit of new info I can add is that when I archive, the book does NOT appear to be deleted from the nook.  It is grayed in the listing, but when I connect to the PC, I can still see the file in the My BN Downloads folder.

So it appears the file is NOT reloading, hence why the problem is not fixed.

Have others noticed this?    Isn't the file supposed to be removed from the nook when archiving?

Frequent Contributor
digital_eyes
0 Kudos

I have done a bit more research on this problem.  As mentioned above, when I archive (and Check for New B&N Content), the file remains on the nook (as verifed from the PC).  When I unarchive, I know the file was NOT re-written since the date time stamp does NOT change (verified on the PC).  In any case, the nook will not open the book (leaves "loading" message on screen forever, can navigate back to library).  By the way, this book has opened in the past and my account info is fine (works for many other books).\

So, I know you are not supposed to muck with the "My B&N Downloads" folder, but since I rearchived the book, verified it shows as archived on the web via My B&N, I deleted the file from the nook via the PC.  I then unarchived and the book was indeed downloaded (verified via PC and date time stamp).  Unfortunately, the nook will still NOT open the eBook.  It is a pdb if you are curious and the same exact size as the one downloaded and sideloaded to My documents which opens just fine.

At this point, I am stumped.  I think it is bizarre that it will work from My docs but not from the B&N library.  Just to be sure of this, I copied the file from My B&N Downloads into My Documents folder on the PC (to ensure I had the exact same file versus the one download via the web to the PC) and it opens just fine.  So, it cannot be the book.  My conclusion is that the meta data must be getting currupt somehow and the SW can't handle it (I assume the nook has a hidden file/database similar to the PC eReader).

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 29 members 190 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: