Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
annieopal
0 Kudos

Eject or Unmount message on Nook.

When I plug my Nook into my computer I get the following message:  If you want to use your Nook and continue charging, please choose Eject or Unmou nt from the menu for the Nook drive on your computer.

If your Nook also has a microSD card, eject that drive too.

I have no idea what to do with this.  But I cannot do anything with my Nook when it is plugged into my computer.  Any answers??

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Eject or Unmount message on Nook.

@annieopal

Welcome! :smileyhappy:

If you're using a Windows 7 or Vista Computer, go to Start>Computer; in Windows XP, it's Start>My Computer.

In Computer/My Computer, you should see your Nook (and your microSD card, if you have one) as a drive attached to your computer.  Right click, first the microSD card, then the Nook, and select "Eject". 

Your computer will tell you that it's safe to remove your device, and the screen on your Nook should return to the wallpaper.  It's ok to disconnect your Nook's USB cord now.

If you have a Mac, someone else will need to tell you how to disconnect your Nook until you get a real computer. :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

The way that I understand it (I'll actually be getting my nook next week if all goes as planned -- woohoo!!), when you plug in the nook, it automatically acts as computer hard drive.

And when it is in this mode, you cannot use your nook normally and the USB will not work to charge your nook.

However, if you go to "My Computer" (I am presuming your are using Windows), you will see a "nook" drive listed (if you have a microSD card in the nook as well, that will also show up, but as a different drive letter).

If you want to use/charge your nook while it is plugged in, you will need to right-click on the nook drive (and the microSD drive if you have that in nook as well), and select the "Eject" or "Unmount" option (whichever your computer says to do).

Once you do that, THEN you should be able to use the nook.

Note however that you can only sideload books onto the nook BEFORE clicking the eject/unmount option. After clicking that you would have to unplug the nook and plug it back in.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

It would be nice if there was a one-step process for this.

Would safely remove hardware do the same thing?  That would be a one-step process, I think...

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

Would safely remove hardware do the same thing?  That would be a one-step process, I think...

I've never tried it, but several people here on the boards have stated that "safely remove hardware" will NOT do it.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

@rayser wrote:  And when it is in this mode, you cannot use your nook normally and the USB will not work to charge your nook.
As far as I am aware, it charges while it's connected, whether or not you have ejected it.  You cannot use the nook until after you eject it.  As the other poster noted, it says if you want to use your nook and continue charging.
h2oskierc wrote:

I never use safely remove hardware.  Generally, if I have my nook connected to the computer, it is to transfer something on to it.  I usually do this through Windows Explorer (sometimes ADE).  When I connect the nook, the computer automatically opens Windows Explorer.  If you have the folder pane option turned on , you can see the nook drive, this is how I copy some books to the nook.  You can eject right from there, right mouse click on the nook and click on eject.  A little bit more one step.

It's the same program, whether you access it via computer or my computer or through the windows explorer icon, or right mouse clicking on the start button and selecting explore (WinXP).  It's just what is displayed when you open it that is different.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Just an FYI.  Page 148 of the User Guide gives the steps on how to unmount your NOOK.

The user guide for NOOK is available on our site by clicking on this link.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Your link is old Michael.  It delivers the 1.3 manual.

The 1.4 manual is here

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

Nope, it won't.  It works for almost everything else I plug into the USB, but not the Nook...

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Rasyr wrote:

The way that I understand it (I'll actually be getting my nook next week if all goes as planned -- woohoo!!), when you plug in the nook, it automatically acts as computer hard drive.

Congratulations!  I hope you've been downloading all the freebies along the way, you have been very patiently waiting for this day to come.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 542 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: