Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
evdh
0 Kudos

Error c7850

Automatic downloading of the 1.4 update caused a reboot and then my Nook reverted to v1.2.  And now the Nook can't seem to connect and re-register liek it wants me to.  I called Customer Support last night and I was told to side load the update and then it should be okay.

It's not okay.  The update was fine but my Nook still cannot connect and I keep getting the error code c7850 when I try.  It doesn't matter if I use WiFi or 3G.

Anyone else have this code before?

It's basically operating but I can't access my books.

Thanks for any help.  I will try to call customer service again tonight.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Error c7850

@evdh,

I am looking into this for you.  Can you PM me your account email and a contact phone number so that we can reach out to you...?

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@evdh,

To confirm that you indeed have the v1.4 update, on your NOOK go to settings and which Software version is indicated...?

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
restlesscourage
0 Kudos

Same problem here. I'm assuming the error is that the Nook is already technically registered on the account, and so it can't reregister until it is deregistered. But since a lot of people seem to be having issues with this firmware update, the tech support lines are really bogged down...I'm hoping to try again and get through later tonight, but it would be nice if we could deregister our devices online instead of having to call in to do it. :smileysad:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@restlesscourage,

To confirm that you indeed have the v1.4 update, on your NOOK go to settings and which Software version is indicated...?

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
restlesscourage
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Michael-V

I manually sideloaded the update after the whole thing reset itself yesterday, and it updated fine. Yes, on the settings screen, it says I have software version 1.4.0.

Reader
evdh
0 Kudos

@Michael V.  Yes the update to v1.4 was successful. 

I will pm you my info once I figure out how to do it.

Reader 4
mrgrossm
0 Kudos

I've got the exact same issue.  My nook did the factory reboot and downgrade thing as well.  Lost everything on the nook (thank goodness for dropbox backups!) but then could no longer register.  This issue needs to be fixed asap!  I'm already frustrated by a $60 price drop from when I purchased it a few months ago, now I can't even use it!!!

Reader 4
mrgrossm
0 Kudos

I've also noticed the serial number is different on the nook now than what's registerd on the bn.com website.  Same number, but the nook starts with a 0, then cuts off the last digit.  I really need this fixed!!!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All with this issue,

Please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support.  Please let us know if you issue was resolved.

Reader 4
mrgrossm
0 Kudos

After 2 + hours with tech support, a new nook is on it's way to me.  The update/crash caused the device to loose it's serial number.  Doesn't give me a lot of confidence that a product can have software pushed to it without me wanting it, that destroys the usability of the device.  It's not a huge issue while under warranty, but I'll be super mad if b&n has the ability to remotely ruin my personal property when it isn't covered.

Reader
Mommy8FL
0 Kudos

My nook was frozen, so after more than an hour of fiddling with it I went through the steps  and took the battery out for more than 15 minutes, etc.  When I finally got it back on it says it can't register and there is no serial number in it.  It just says 0.  I haven't even owned the device 4 months.  Being the parent of a large family, I rarely get neat things for myself, so this item is quite a luxury for me.  Also, I know I had the latest version (1.4) on it, but now it is saying it has 1.3.  Frustrated in FL! 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

You need to return it to B&N and they will give you one that works. This is a known problem.

Mommy8FL wrote:

My nook was frozen, so after more than an hour of fiddling with it I went through the steps  and took the battery out for more than 15 minutes, etc.  When I finally got it back on it says it can't register and there is no serial number in it.  It just says 0.  I haven't even owned the device 4 months.  Being the parent of a large family, I rarely get neat things for myself, so this item is quite a luxury for me.  Also, I know I had the latest version (1.4) on it, but now it is saying it has 1.3.  Frustrated in FL! 

New User
hmorse
0 Kudos

I had this happen to me on Monday, April 10, 2012. B&N claims they have no idea why it happened, and since there is no proof the upgrade lead to the wiping out of my serial number, I can purchase an upgraded product at a discounted price.

This is NOT a wear and tear issue that is out of warranty. This is Barnes & Noble breaking our devices, rendering them inoperable.

This is unacceptable that two years later you are still sending out software updates that are wiping out serial numbers. We own 6 NOOK products in our family, from the First Generation through several NOOK colors. WHY would I EVER buy another NOOK product again?

New User
Cillaliz
0 Kudos

I had the same thing happen.   I called customer support today and the best they will do is offer a discount on a different nook, can't get a first edition anymore.   I really loved my nook because it had 3g and wifi, and none of the new ones do.   So, since I'm out of warranty I'm just SOL

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

hmorse wrote:

I had this happen to me on Monday, April 10, 2012. B&N claims they have no idea why it happened, and since there is no proof the upgrade lead to the wiping out of my serial number, I can purchase an upgraded product at a discounted price.

This is NOT a wear and tear issue that is out of warranty. This is Barnes & Noble breaking our devices, rendering them inoperable.

This is unacceptable that two years later you are still sending out software updates that are wiping out serial numbers. We own 6 NOOK products in our family, from the First Generation through several NOOK colors. WHY would I EVER buy another NOOK product again?

If this is the original Nook, there hasn't been a software update to this product since 1.7 came out, which was months ago.   Are you referring to the Nook first edition and did you just get the software update?  I don't recall hearing about this problem with the 1.7 update.

The post you are replying to is almost 2 years old and refers to the 1.4 update which was released in 2010.

New User
Brian_David
0 Kudos

The exact same thing happened to me two days ago.  I am VERY frustrated.  It feels as if I was cornered into buying a new upgraded product.  This wasn't due to wear and tear, since I treated my 1st Generation nook with tender loving care.  Just "poof" and the serial number disappeared from my unit.  Forced obsolescence?

New User
Brian_David
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This just happened to me two days ago.  Definitely not wear and tear on the unit.  I feel that it is forced obsolescence.  Hope this doesn't happen to any other nooks I might buy.  Makes me wonder if the product line is dependable in the long haul.  Am I going to be forced to buy a new unit every 2-3 years?

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ignore -- accidently responded to an old message...

Baron Wulfraed
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 562 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: