Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Excessive Radio Duty Cycle - BATTERY Alert.

[ Edited ]

I've been sitting here for an hour with the nook on the desk.  I manually installed 1.2 yesterday.

During that entire time either the wifi or the cellular radio has been on, chewing up battery.  

Yesterday, I noticed much shorter duty cycles.  Maddeningly short at times, it would drop connection while I was in the Shop if I Paused to read a review.

But today its been on constantly.  Could it be trying to download the update even tho It is already updated? 

I know that its not just an indicator problem, and that the wifi is actually on, because I can ping it.

Anybody else noticing radio indicators staying lit for way too long?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Excessive Radio Duty Cycle

[ Edited ]

More on this...

It seems the only way I can get the radio to turn off by itself is to read something.

Sitting at any of the main menu items or the main menu (icon) screen itself will leave the radio on.  After returning from reading (exiting the book), the radio which was off while reading goes on again.  This is sitting at the wall paper, so I don't need the radio.  

As soon as I tap Reading Now, the radio will go off within a few seconds.

This is going to absolutely kill battery life for those of us in the habit of exiting the book at the end of a reading session.  Luckily we don't have to do that anymore to save location. I watched the battery drop by 5% just sitting on the Settings screen in the interval from my first post to this one (about 45 minutes).

Can others weigh in here?  Are you seeing this?  

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

On a post by TNS it was mentioned that syncing between the PC Desktop Reader and the Nook was supposed to be working now.

He said:

I went in to each of the books that was not working, on the PC DESKTOP, and switched the current read point to the beginning of chapter 2.  Then had the PC Desktop do a sync.  I then went to the Nook had it check for new B&N content and each of them now opens, not at the same read point, but they now opened.

While testing this syncing, I found that it did work.  You can sync your read point to your Desktop Reader.

Further more, after opening each book I was reading on the nook and also in the desktop reader, and setting read point therein, upon returning to the nook, and Checking for New B&N content, the radios go off very soon afterward. (about 30 seconds later).

So if you have excessive battery useage and you notice your radios on all the time when not reading, it MIGHT just be a syncing problem that can be cured by stepping thru each document on the nook, or on the B&N Desktop reader.

So this problem seems like it solved itself somehow.

P.S.  No syncing with B&N iPhone reader yet.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

It's happening with mine also.  Went to Menu items on touchscreen and plain nook eink.  Wifi symbol came on and stayed on.  Yet while reading it goes off and stays off.  It also turns off in My B&N Library unless I do a search for new content.  Stays on in The Daily & Settings also. fortunately, I leave the nook in Now Reading almost all the time so it may not have much of an effect on my battery.  I'll see how battery usage goes and may put it in airplane mode if it uses more than normal.

Contributor
arazil
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

More on this...

It seems the only way I can get the radio to turn off by itself is to read something.

Sitting at any of the main menu items or the main menu (icon) screen itself will leave the radio on.  After returning from reading (exiting the book), the radio which was off while reading goes on again.  This is sitting at the wall paper, so I don't need the radio.  

As soon as I tap Reading Now, the radio will go off within a few seconds.

This is going to absolutely kill battery life for those of us in the habit of exiting the book at the end of a reading session.  Luckily we don't have to do that anymore to save location. I watched the battery drop by 5% just sitting on the Settings screen in the interval from my first post to this one (about 45 minutes).

Can others weigh in here?  Are you seeing this?  

Both the 3G and the Wifi stay on if I am in the settings, daily, and library sections.  Like yours, they turn off with a book open.  However, unlike yours, they both turn off when I'm at the main home screen (wallpaper showing.

As for battery life, I've found no improvement.  It was at 97% (airplane mode on) when I went to sleep last night.  By the morning, about 9 hours later, the battery was at 92%.  So some rogue process must be running even though it's in sleep mode.  I'm going to turn it completely off tonight and see if there is no drain overnight.

Frequent Contributor
four0six
0 Kudos

I'm logged onto my WiFi here at home.  Just sitting here, reading the new posts (about an hour) with my nook sitting here on Settings page 1, I have literally watched it go from 27% to 21% battery.

I'm not sure I know the icon you are all talking about, but the WiFi signal strength is showing up.

I have:

Airplane Mode: Off
WiFi: On

It was fully charged last night, left in sleep mode with those above settings, and battery was at 27% after about 20 hrs in sleep mode, not being touched once.

Maybe I should remove my battery?

Frequent Contributor
four0six
0 Kudos

In the time it took to post this, with no use, and the settings above, i've lost 1% battery!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

four0six wrote:

I'm logged onto my WiFi here at home.  Just sitting here, reading the new posts (about an hour) with my nook sitting here on Settings page 1, I have literally watched it go from 27% to 21% battery.

I'm not sure I know the icon you are all talking about, but the WiFi signal strength is showing up.

The wifi singnal strength is showing you that the wifi radio .is on.  That disappears when it it off.

If the Cellular bars show up then wifi is off and the cell radio is on.

Now why is it on when you are sitting at the Settings page?  There really is no reason it should need to be on for the full duration you are on that page.

And while the wall paper is displayed as well as the "The Daily" "ny Library" "shop" etc buttons at the bottom, why is the radio on there as well? 

The only Battery friendly place to rest the nook is in My library or Reading now.  Otherwise its running the radio. 

If it falls to sleep the radio does go off.  So I may be making a nountain of a mole hill here, but I doubt it.

Contributor
arazil
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

Though this may not be related to the radio duty cycle, I thought I'd share my post 1.2 battery experience.  When left sleeping in airplane mode for 8 hours, the charge decreased by 7%.  When I completely shutdown the nook for 10 hours, there was no decrease in battery charge.  This would seem to indicate some rogue processes taking place while the nook sleeps.

Peace,

Arazil

Contributor
Actress
0 Kudos

I'm thinking that the wallpaper and screensaver are what's draining the battery life because it's in constant use when we aren't reading our Nook.  In order to keep the graphics showing with eInk, it's gotta be using power and that power is that small percentage of battery usage. :smileyindifferent:  I have both airplane mode on and wi-fi off when reading and still only get about 2 days of reading even with the new software update. :smileymad:

Correspondent
eagleSB
0 Kudos

Actress wrote:

I'm thinking that the wallpaper and screensaver are what's draining the battery life because it's in constant use when we aren't reading our Nook.  In order to keep the graphics showing with eInk, it's gotta be using power and that power is that small percentage of battery usage. :smileyindifferent:  I have both airplane mode on and wi-fi off when reading and still only get about 2 days of reading even with the new software update. :smileymad:

The wallpaper and screensaver do not use power.  The eink screen can continue to display an image or text indefinitely without power.  You can even remove the battery and still have the image displayed on your screen.  You should try running your battery down to a small percentage (2-5%) before recharging it.  Do this a few times and you may see an improvement in you battery life.  If not, you should contact customer service.  You may have a bad battery.

You should not need to do this every time. Just a few times to help the nook learn about your battery.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

I was reading these posts, about the nook losing power over night.

It is true, the e-Ink it's self only uses power to change the screen. But when you hit the main power button, and you can still see an image on the screen then it's in a Suspend Mode, which means it is still using power, not a LOT of power but it's still using power. The reason for that is so that is that it's monitoring the n button, and for a faster boot up. If you press and hold the power button til the reading portion of the screen goes blank, then you will not be using any power. A lot of electronic devices work this way. I have an archos 5, and when I power it off, it does warn me it's going into Suspend mode (still using power) or if I hold the power button longer when then it lets me know it's doing a Shutdown. I believe somewhere in the tech specs just pressing the powerbutton only puts it into a suspend state, holding it does a complete shutdown. The thing to keep in mind is when you do a complete shutdown, it WILL take longer to boot up, than it will when in suspend mode.

The issue with with the excessive radio duty cycle is a new one on me, i usualy keep mine in Airplane Mode. So the 3G and WiFi *SHOULD* be off.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Phigment wrote:

I was reading these posts, about the nook losing power over night.

It is true, the e-Ink it's self only uses power to change the screen. But when you hit the main power button, and you can still see an image on the screen then it's in a Suspend Mode, which means it is still using power, not a LOT of power but it's still using power. The reason for that is so that is that it's monitoring the n button, and for a faster boot up.

No, the n button is not being monitored in sleep mode.  Try it.

The only button that works is th top power button, and it is a simple momentary contact switch.

But your underlying point is valid, the processor is running, albeit at an extremely low power state.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

Icebike, your right, i was in error (don't see that much on boards do you). Although the processor is running, in suspend mode, and Everything is supposed to be off when you completely power it off. Here's something i'm wondering about.

e-ink, dosen't use power only when changing screens.

So.....

When you completly shut the unit off, the screen does go blank.

Do they issue 1 more display command to the e-ink to be a blank screen?

or

Once the e-ink really truly gets turned off, it does go blank. Which almost contradicts what i understand and mostly likely everyone else understands that e-ink dosen't need power except to change the image.

I'm thinking, it's the first one, they issue a blank/null/white screen to the text portion of the reader, then does a complete shutdown.

yea... i know, why do i care...   just curious I guess.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I believe they erase it intentionally.

If you look carefully, you will see it flip to black, then back to white.

Interestingly, as they arrive from the factory they have an image on them, but they are in fact off.  

Of course, this image, which is universally ignored tells you to charge your nook fully before use.:smileyvery-happy:

Kindle hackers have actually gotten their units to write something before poweroff, so they can have a picture there all the time, even when its off.

I've been searching for specs on the processor used in the nook, a Samsung S3C641, in an attempt to figure out just what the power utilization at low-power idle might be.  I'm having problems finding that level of detail because this is a fairly new processor.  

It is however an amazingly powerful processor, and has capabilities the nook only barely makes use of. (Streaming video, full security hardwired in, TV out capability, 3D Graphics capability).

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/support/brochures/downloads/systemlsi/s3c6410_d...

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:13 members 337 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: