Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
dallasgnat
0 Kudos

Fictionwise EPUB downloads as ZIP file

I downloaded an EPUB book from Fictionwise and it downloads as a ZIP file.  I understand that EPUB is a type of ZIP file so to speak.  But I've searched the web for hours, the manual, and the bulletin boards and cannot find any clear information about the .ZIP published book.  Do I just move the whole .ZIP file to Nook My Documents??  Does the extension not have to actually be .EPUB?  I didn't want to move it without knowing what I was doing.

P.S.  If it is a valid EPUB I expected to be able to load it to ADE but it also appears to only recognize the .EPUB extension.

Thanks in advance.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Re: Fictionwise EPUB downloads as ZIP file

Did you try to actually unzip the file to see if the epub is inside?

Contributor
dallasgnat
0 Kudos

I sure did.  It just shows the ncx, xhtml files, etc.  I couldn't find ANYthing on Fictionwise addressing this.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I never use fictionwise, so I'm not sure how it's normally supposed to work.

Here's another thought - what happens if you just change the extension from .zip to .epub?

Contributor
dallasgnat
0 Kudos

You know I thought about that but was afraid to try - these file formats - epub, etc - are new to me.... So with your suggestion I decided to go ahead and do that and ADE pulled it up.  Here goes nothin' moving it to the nook........

.....well it picks it up alright, but some features like chapters, is not available.  Who knows, maybe they didn't put the code in there.....I'd really rather receive the EPUB formated file.  I may give it a whirl.  The books I've been testing are free - maybe if I pay it will be an EPUB format.  There is a book I would like to read and they are pretty much the only site with the EPUB option.  I like the page numbers :-)

Thanks for the encouragement!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

I have downloaded several EPUB books from Fictionwise. The books you get are the correct EPUB books. Just rename the extension from ZIP to EPUB

The ZIP extension thing is probably caused by Fictionwise not using an extension and Windows recognizing the content as ZIP.

As for the chapters missing. Not all ebooks have chapters. This has nothing to do with the ZIP extension.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

I have downloaded several EPUB books from Fictionwise. The books you get are the correct EPUB books. Just rename the extension from ZIP to EPUB

The ZIP extension thing is probably caused by Fictionwise not using an extension and Windows recognizing the content as ZIP.

As for the chapters missing. Not all ebooks have chapters. This has nothing to do with the ZIP extension.

This is all new to me, I've never had this happen through Fictionwise...

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

geertm wrote:

First, nobody mentioned windows.  

Second, Windows is very dumb about extensions, and believes anything you tell it.

Third, fictionwise books always download with an extension.

Mac or Linux pretty much determine file type by inspection and ignore the extension for the most part.  

I've never had an ebub download from fictionwise or anywhere else that had a zip extension, so I presume this was a fictionwise error, and it should be reported the them, not here.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

First, nobody mentioned windows.  

Second, Windows is very dumb about extensions, and believes anything you tell it.

Third, fictionwise books always download with an extension.

Mac or Linux pretty much determine file type by inspection and ignore the extension for the most part.  

I've never had an ebub download from fictionwise or anywhere else that had a zip extension, so I presume this was a fictionwise error, and it should be reported the them, not here.

I was just speculating about the cause of the problem:smileyhappy:

I just wanted to tell dallasgnat that the format of the books is correct.

Just rename the extension and do not worry about it any further.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

If the zip file thing has happened to you, check the following:

1. Go to your bookshelf in Fictionwise
  2. In the upper left hand corner, under bookshelf setup, look to see if you have 'Download as .zip' checked, if so, uncheck it.
  3. Right below the 'Save Changes' button in bookshelf setup is an option to 'Bulk download your eBooks' could you have used this option?  It will also process a zip file.

I'll bet the problem stems from one of these two options.

Contributor
dallasgnat
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input and the references everyone!  This is very helpful and makes me feel a whole lot more comfortable working with the epub options.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 957 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: