Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
googleElle
0 Kudos

Fictionwise ebooks on nook *HELP PLEASE!!!*

[ Edited ]

Hey gang,

It seems that whenever i download books from fictionwise, they are the correct size on my computer and i can read the whole thing, but when i put the files on my nook they end up being about 1 KB short. Out of all the five books i have brought in the past few days, they are all 1 KB short when in my nook/nook folder compared to the size of the book when downloaded/B&N ebook reader.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: Fictionwise ebooks on nook *HELP PLEASE!!!*

You need to give more information.  What format are you downloading?  Are the books complete on your nook-can you read them to the end?  File size isn't necessarily the issue, but completeness of the book is.  How are you sideloading them to your nook?  Also, are you copying them from the folder you downloaded them to or from your desktop B&N ereader folder once you've added them there?

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
googleElle
0 Kudos

I am downloading the (recommended) secure ereader format
No, on the noook the books are not complete for example the book DEAR JOHN is complete on my computer but on the nook, its about 4 chapters short.
I am sideloading by downloading the books. After dowloading the books i 'open containing folder' and drag the books over to the nook 'documents' folder. This is the same way i have sideloaded about a dozen of other books from smashwords.
I am copying them from the folder I downloaded them too. Is it possible to copy them from the desktop B&N ereader folder? They arent saved in the folder, its just the default way to open/read them on my computer. Unless there's a way to save them or something that I am not aware of,,,

deemure
0 Kudos

I think you always want to take them from your downloaded folder-not from the bn ereader folder.  I do exactly what you say you do with fictionwise books and haven't had this problem.

Just to make sure even though you purchased them in ereader format, when you download them, you pick ereader format in the dropdown box next to it and it shows next to that the last 4 digits of your credit card number-right?  I also want to make sure that this is the first you've downloaded from fictionwise, if I understand correctly.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
googleElle
0 Kudos

i would assume so, because that is the only way i know how to get the ebooks. Really you've never had this problem with fictionwise? So then do you think its the book, or was i just unlucky, considering what you said in your last post i havent checked any of the other books for chapter content, so im not completely sure if those are complete either.

yes, this is my first (and most likely last if i dont get this fixed) time dowloading from fictionwise. And the sad part is that i wasted almost $80 only to receive 5 possibly incomplete books.

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

If the books are incomplete, contact Fictionwise through their Support System so you can get a new file or a refund:

http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=support

I own hundreds of e-books from Fictionwise, and seriously, I've rarely had problems with the files. Recently, I did download one incomplete eReader book from them. So I contacted them, it turned out that there was a problem with the file the publisher gave them. They gave me the option of waiting for the publisher to send a new file or getting a refund. I chose to wait for the publisher to send a new file. But out of 904 books in my Fictionwise shelf (:smileysurprised:), that's the only time that ever happened.

Contributor
googleElle
0 Kudos

Its not that the books themselves are incomplete, the books are complete on my computer, but its when I go to put them on my nook that the file size changes and the books end up missing chapters. For example Dear John on my computer has 20 chapters + an epilogue. The same file on the nook only has 17 chapters

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I know that one time I had a problem with a fictionwise book, but it was only because it was a multiformat book and I had not selected the filetype to download.  I think I'm stumped.  I would try downloading it again, do a copy and paste of the downloaded book to your my documents folder once again. 

Well, all of my files are the same size from pc to computer.  I'm stumped and think maybe it's time to contact tech support.  You might try emailing them or try first thing in the a.m. to try to avoid peak times.  Do you have any pdfs or anything else you could try and see if they have a similar problem?

Frequent Contributor
pidgeon92
0 Kudos

1KB is completely negligible.... Several chapters should take up a lot more memory than that.

Contributor
googleElle
0 Kudos

Thats probably true, especially since its a Nicholas Sparks book, but there is a definite difference in the books on the nook compared to my computer. Like I said, The book has only 17 chapters on the nook compared to 20+epilogue on my computer.

pidgeon92 wrote:

1KB is completely negligible.... Several chapters should take up a lot more memory than that.

Contributor
googleElle
0 Kudos

When you say you hadnt chosen a filetype to download, are you talking about when you were checking out your cart and it wouldnt let you? I have tried what you suggested many times  over the past few days, and there has been no difference. I have sent an email to fictioinwise with no reply received yet

deemure wrote:

I know that one time I had a problem with a fictionwise book, but it was only because it was a multiformat book and I had not selected the filetype to download.  I think I'm stumped.  I would try downloading it again, do a copy and paste of the downloaded book to your my documents folder once again. 

Well, all of my files are the same size from pc to computer.  I'm stumped and think maybe it's time to contact tech support.  You might try emailing them or try first thing in the a.m. to try to avoid peak times.  Do you have any pdfs or anything else you could try and see if they have a similar problem?

deemure
0 Kudos

It may be negligible, but it's cutting off whole chapters her.  My files are exactly the same size.  And I don't have the chapters cut off.

One other thing just to make sure you are ejecting the nook before clicking to safely remove hardware right?  I can't remember if I asked that.  And do try changing the font size to see if the file size is not what is doing this.  I don't think that's it because as I said my files are exactly the same on pc and on nook. 

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

googleElle wrote:

When you say you hadnt chosen a filetype to download, are you talking about when you were checking out your cart and it wouldnt let you? I have tried what you suggested many times  over the past few days, and there has been no difference. I have sent an email to fictioinwise with no reply received yet

On a couple books, I hadn't picked my filetype to download in my bookshelf, they were multiformat books.  For some reason it still downloaded, but the file wouldn't open.  I went back and redownloaded them in ereader format.  If you were able to read them in the bn reader thought that's not it.  Sorry, I have tried all that I could think of on this.  I know people have reported missing chapters and such in bn books and changing the font size worked.
I'd contact bn too about it because it might be something hung up in the software.

Contributor
googleElle
0 Kudos

Actually know th you mention it, im not completely sure if im ejecting my nook. When i go to safely remove hardware, after i go through the motions, my computer says the nook is safe to remove, but the nook still shows the "if you want ot use your  nook and continue charging, please choose eject or Unmount from the menu ofr the nook drive on your computer" even though it has been ejected and is no longer noticed by my computer.

deemure wrote:

It may be negligible, but it's cutting off whole chapters her.  My files are exactly the same size.  And I don't have the chapters cut off.

One other thing just to make sure you are ejecting the nook before clicking to safely remove hardware right?  I can't remember if I asked that.  And do try changing the font size to see if the file size is not what is doing this.  I don't think that's it because as I said my files are exactly the same on pc and on nook. 

deemure
0 Kudos

From what I understand, eject finishes any ongoing software processes.  Safely remove hardware is to stop the hardware from communicating, if that makes sense.

Anyone having problems with sideloaded content needs to make sure they do things in this order for a windows based computer:

1. eject the nook (if you have a microsd card you need to eject that too).
  2. select safely remove hardware
  3. disconnect from usb
Contributor
googleElle
0 Kudos

so then how exactly do you go about doing that, in case im doing it the wrong way

deemure wrote:

From what I understand, eject finishes any ongoing software processes.  Safely remove hardware is to stop the hardware from communicating, if that makes sense.

Anyone having problems with sideloaded content needs to make sure they do things in this order for a windows based computer:

1. eject the nook (if you have a microsd card you need to eject that too).
  2. select safely remove hardware
  3. disconnect from usb

deemure
0 Kudos

If you are using a windows pc, go to my computer.

You should see a drive named nook.  Right click on it, then scroll down and select eject.

Once you have done that, safely remove hardware.

On a Mac, cntrl click the icon for your nook drive and select eject

What happens is that if you don't do this you can interrupt processes that are still running.  It can corrupt files and the like, and the next time you go to connect the usb it might not be recognized by your computer.  If that happens, turn off the nook completely then turn on again.

Contributor
googleElle
0 Kudos

OMGOODNESS!!!! i dont know why but somehow that seemed to work. Because at first it was like one chapter and then i just kept going to the last chapter in the go to drop down list until eventually i got to the last chapter and epilogue and now i have the whole book on my nook!!!:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

deemure
0 Kudos

googleElle wrote:

OMGOODNESS!!!! i dont know why but somehow that seemed to work. Because at first it was like one chapter and then i just kept going to the last chapter in the go to drop down list until eventually i got to the last chapter and epilogue and now i have the whole book on my nook!!!:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

So it was the eject thing?

Contributor
googleElle
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure, because since then i haven't had any problems with that book or any other!

deemure wrote:

googleElle wrote:

So it was the eject thing?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 229 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: