Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

Fifth Visitor - Wishnia - cannot open in 1.3

Last night I wanted to read "The Fifth Visitor" by Wishnia. Waited 5 minutes with the "opening book message", used back arrow to stop, tried again later, then got "loading" message but nothing else happened for another 5 minutes so I gave up and got a DTB. Saw a similar problem in 1,1 that required me to sideload book into my documents but thought this problem was fixed in 1.3. Anyone managed to read this book as an e-book? Tried CS who suggested leaving nook "loading" for upto 30 minutes or so to see if it finally loaded but that seems silly... My failure rate for reading books bought from B&N is running at about 1 in 15 right now... seems a high failure rate to me....

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Fifth Visitor - Wishnia - cannot open in 1.3

Have you tried Archive, Check for new B&N updates (making sure book disappeared), reboot nook, show archived items, and download again?

I haven't had a read failure since 1.1.0, and even that one went away with the above procedure.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Have you opened this e-book on any other reading device (PC, iPhone, etc.)? One reportedly reproducible problem is when the other reading device tells B&N to bookmark your current position as a page that doesn't exist in the NOOK version. In which case, paging your other reading device a couple of pages in usually does the trick.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

At this point, the only thing you can sync with is the Desktop reader, and even that is flaky requiring a lot of Check for New B&N content.

Iphone version still won't do this.

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

Thanks for suggestions and trying to help. Archiving trick did not work (even with a complete shutdown - I usually just check book was archived and put nook to sleep for a bit before reloading). I can read it after sideloading into my documents. Note - I could open it in 1.2 since I now open any book I buy as soon as I get it even if I dont want to read it immediately. I don't think it is a synch issue either since I am not reading it on anything else. I will just add it to my growing list of books sold through B&N that dont work in the B&N library....

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Hypatia1,

Please PM me that list of eBooks you are stating that don't work in the B&N library and I can help you.  Also, can you PM me a callback phone number you can be reached at so that I can have someone reach out to you.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 440 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: