Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
wetpaintkid
0 Kudos

Finding & adding a Wi-Fi Hotspot?

I am wondering how to find and then add a Wi-Fi Hotspot to my Nook? The only one I can use right now is the B&N store about 15 miles from my home.

Thanks.

If I can stop one heart from breaking ~ I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

Re: Finding & adding a Wi-Fi Hotspot?

1st press the wifi key, select wifi (this will turn wifi on), select wifi hotspot, at the top of the screen you'll see scanning, wait for that to go away and then select the hot spot ur wanting to connect to. If it's open it should just connect.  If it is secured a box will pop up for you to put in the password. Hopefully you won't have as many probs as some of us actually connecting to it. This new version of software is very picky about the network security settings. Good luck!

Contributor
wetpaintkid
0 Kudos

Thank you for the quick reply. I will go try it right now.

If I can stop one heart from breaking ~ I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
Contributor
wetpaintkid
0 Kudos

Well it seems there is no Hotspot closer to me than the B&N Store. Hopefully the 3G service will become available here soon.

Thanks again.

Correspondent
NanaLou
0 Kudos

Here is a website to locate wi-fi hotspots.

http://v4.jiwire.com/search-hotspot-locations.htm

You can also try McDonald's, Panera Breads and local libraries.

Hope this helps. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Burger King also has free wifi (at least in my area).

Contributor
wetpaintkid
0 Kudos

Thank you to both. There is no Burger King or Panara nearer to me than the B&N store. But with the link you listed - I did find a McD's with Wi-Fi a mile away.

Now I need help to figure out how to add it to my Nook. Sad to say, I'm a book geek not a computer geek. :smileywink:

Contributor
wetpaintkid
0 Kudos

In a post by Josh-W - he said:

"When connecting your nook to a home Wi-Fi network, please be sure that your Wi-Fi network is either 802.11b or 802.11g. If it is an open network, you should be able to easily connect to your network without adding any information. However if your network is set as a secure network, you will need to add "Add a W-Fi hotspot" to connect and you will need to know and enter your network SSID (network name), password and the exact security method, such as WEP, WPA, WPA2, none, etc."

How do I find this information?

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
tirofiban
0 Kudos

For "SSID (network name), password and the exact security method, such as WEP, WPA, WPA2": This is all the security info for a private network. Typically, you would only be doing this for your own home WiFi network or when visiting a friend or relative's home network.

To get this info, you would have to ask whoever set up the network router.

Where are you located that you can't use the 3G service?

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

@wetpaintkid:

At McDonald's you shouldn't have to do anything.  Go to McDonalds, buy a cup of coffee, get comfy.  When you turn on your nook, be sure airplane mode is OFF and WiFi is ON.  Be patient.  Your nook will detect that you are in McDonalds and create the hotspot for it.  Be patient. It takes a couple minutes to perform this process.  Once you are connected, go into the web and you should see a McDonalds home page that you need to accept.  Once you click the box to accept/agree, you will be able to access other web pages.

My nook worked like a charm in my local McDonalds.  Then I tried it in Borders...no good.  The Borders WiFi was recognized, but no matter how many times I clicked 'accept' of their terms of agreement, I got booted out.  After several tries, I gave up and read my nook instead.  Planning to try Panera later this week.

Contributor
wetpaintkid
0 Kudos

tirofiban,

I live in a very rural part of Maine & do not have WiFi at home (yet). My PC connection is cable.

I may end up getting WiFi if I can't find a network closer to home. The McDonald's closest to me is about a half mile away...but across a large river. 

Thanks for the info about 'private network'.

Contributor
wetpaintkid
0 Kudos

AnnSheridan,

Thanks for this info. I will drive over today & see how things go. What I'm hoping for is to get access to McD's & then be able to connect to it from home. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone for the great info. :smileysurprised:)

Scribe
JdiennoPSU

If Mcd is about half a mile a way you should be able to log onto it from the store but not at home.  Most WiFi connections only travel 30 ft or so.  Do you used a cable or DSL modem at home that plugs directly into your PC?  If you do you can buy a router that you would plug the modem into and then from the router to the computer!  Its obviously a little more complicated then that (you have to instal software and set your router up) but once that is done you should have WiFi in your house!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Contributor
wetpaintkid
0 Kudos

JJ,

Great info. Will do this. Sounds much easier than I thought. Like I said above...book geek not PC geek. :smileyhappy:

The strange thing is that before the 1.3 upgrade...I was able to get WiFi at home...I'd buy a book & download right to my nook with no problem...though The Daily was iffy most days.

Thanks for the info.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU

Your welcome!

Try some of these sites:

Router Buying Guide

* make sure its right for the nook though (you had the right bandwidth in the quote you used earlier)

Other Guide

Basic Router Setup

Whatever router you choose will have more detailed instructions

I personally use a LinkSys though I forget which model it is (I think its the cheapest one with a four port switch)

Lastly, that is weird about the WiFi before.  Do any of your neighbors have WiFi that you were piggy-backing on?  Have the nook look for a WiFi connection and you might get lucky and your neighbors might have WiFi.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
New User
BB84
0 Kudos

I have wireless service that is a local concern, "IWISPR" .  I have been reading postings and I try to do everything advised.  I don't see any place to all my service????  I live 25 miles from B store and can't access there service.  What is this about connecting with McDonald's?  How?  My name says it all.  I am 83 and NEED help. 

New User
BB84
0 Kudos

Hi. It's me again. I should have used spell check.  I meant to say, I can't find any place to ADD...: Sorry.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Not too familiar with iWispr.  Does your computer connect to their device with a cable (looks like a large telephone cable), or wirelessly (no cables except power)?  What make and model of device did  iWispr install? 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

BB84 wrote:

I have wireless service that is a local concern, "IWISPR" .  I have been reading postings and I try to do everything advised.  I don't see any place to all my service????  I live 25 miles from B store and can't access there service.  What is this about connecting with McDonald's?  How?  My name says it all.  I am 83 and NEED help. 

According to the iWispr FAQ page, you still have to have a wireless router in your home.  They do not supply the router, that is your responsibility. 

Se we need to know what brand of router your purchased and connected to the iWispr cable in order the help you out.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 20 members 224 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: