Contributor
altidude
0 Kudos

First Use Problem

[ Edited ]

Hello,

This is Goker from Turkey. I've just purchased a Nook WIFI. I'm trying to charge it through the wallplug but it seems that the Nook doesn't response. Charge indicator doesn't light up. I pushed the button on top but nothing changes either. The writings on the screen "Fully charge before first use. Press button on top..." is always there, nothing changes. I also plugged it into the computer via USB but that didn't seem to make any difference. I tried to open the rear case and replace the battery and then charge it via wallplug, however this didn't work either. So I need your help with what to do!

Thanks.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Re: First Use Problem

Sounds like you may have a defective USB cord. Did you order online or purchase at a store? If there is a store nearby I would try to exchange the cord. You can probably buy a compatible cord at any electronic store.

Contributor
altidude
0 Kudos

I ordered it online. Is it possible to use the USB cord of another device? As I read about it, I think Nokia and Nikon USB cords are compatible with Nook. Would you suggest me to try that?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369

altidude wrote:

I ordered it online. Is it possible to use the USB cord of another device? As I read about it, I think Nokia and Nikon USB cords are compatible with Nook. Would you suggest me to try that?

You can use any USB cord as long as it fits the connector on your nook.  If any of the cords you already have will fit, I'd give that a try.  Once connected, if the nook starts to charge the yellow/orange light by the connector will turn on and and you should be good to go . . . :smileyhappy:

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Contributor
altidude
0 Kudos

I've just tried the use the cable of Nook with my Blackberry and it just works fine. Now what? Is it about the wallplug or the Nook itself? Why I'm living this with a brand new product!

Contributor
altidude
0 Kudos

As I mentioned this welcome screen never changes, even if I remove the battery...

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr

This usually works for me when the Nook freezes:

- Take out the battery.

- Hold the power button down for at least 60 seconds.

- Replace the battery.

- Plug the charger into a wall socket and connect to Nook.

After a few seconds my Nook will start and begin the charge cycle.

Contributor
altidude
0 Kudos

I've just tried what you said but no sign of charge indicator as before...

Is it normal to have that writings in the screen always even when I remove the battery?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

altidude wrote:

Is it normal to have that writings in the screen always even when I remove the battery?

Yes.  e-ink displays use no power to display a screen, only to change it.  So whatever was last on the screen when the battery is removed should remain on the screen.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

altidude wrote:

Yes.  e-ink displays use no power to display a screen, only to change it.  So whatever was last on the screen when the battery is removed should remain on the screen.

It sounds like it won't boot based on the description and picture.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

cbtengr wrote:

And?  Whether it boots or not, it is normal for the last screen displayed to remain on the screen when the battery is dead or removed. 

He got a bad unit.  He's screwed, especially since he bought it somewhere that B&N doesn't sell them, so they're not going to send a replacement unit.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

altidude wrote:

I'm afraid that you've gotten a bad unit, and if you did, B&N can't replace it since you are outside of the US.  They don't sell them outside of the US, and won't ship replacements to non-US addresses.

SOMETIMES, if the battery is dead, or so low that it's near dead, plugging it into the wall and leaving it can jump start it.  The light may not come on immediately, (it could take 30 minutes even a couple of hours) but there's a slight chance that this may be your fix.  

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

cbtengr wrote:

And?  Whether it boots or not, it is normal for the last screen displayed to remain on the screen when the battery is dead or removed.

He got a bad unit.  He's screwed, especially since he bought it somewhere that B&N doesn't sell them, so they're not going to send a replacement unit.

And, unfortunately for the OP, the last displayed screen was also the first and only screen displayed, it never booted.  The abnormal part is that it won't boot.

Contributor
altidude
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

altidude wrote:

I'm afraid that you've gotten a bad unit, and if you did, B&N can't replace it since you are outside of the US.  They don't sell them outside of the US, and won't ship replacements to non-US addresses.

SOMETIMES, if the battery is dead, or so low that it's near dead, plugging it into the wall and leaving it can jump start it.  The light may not come on immediately, (it could take 30 minutes even a couple of hours) but there's a slight chance that this may be your fix.  

I actually did keep this thing on charge for 2 hours but indicator never turned on. The device did not start either...

I purchased this through someone in NY by the way, maybe I request him for replacement of the bad unit. What a mess!

I will try to keep the battery outside the device for tonight and let's see if there's a solution...

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Please forgive the obvious question:  was the Nook turned ON ??

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Contributor
altidude
0 Kudos

It says "Fully charge before first use." so the first thing I did was plugging it into charge. In the manual, it is written that it may take 30 min to charge indicator to light up for first use. However I kept it on charge for 2 hours but nothing happened. I pushed the power button but it didn't turn on either..

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:60 members 473 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: