Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Sharksweetie
0 Kudos

Flashing Nook

I've had my Nook for a little while now and was so dissatisfied with it, that I bought an i-pad as my e-reader.  The person to whom I gave my Nook convinced me that the flash that occurs whenever a new page appear is probably a problem with my individual Nook - NOT with the Nook in general.  

Is this the case?  Do other people'sNooks "flash" with every new page?

Thanks.

Sass

"A good book is a friend for life."
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Flashing Nook

Sharksweetie wrote:

I've had my Nook for a little while now and was so dissatisfied with it, that I bought an i-pad as my e-reader.  The person to whom I gave my Nook convinced me that the flash that occurs whenever a new page appear is probably a problem with my individual Nook - NOT with the Nook in general.  

Thanks.

Sass

Technically the NOOK screen can't "flash" as it doesn't emit any light.

It is the nature of e-ink displays that redrawing the screen is a multi-step process.

The screen needs to be cleared before the next page can be displayed since, unlike other technologies, simply sending the new page information does not erase what is already there.

The process of clearing and displaying the next page has been likened to a flash.

Personally I do not find this distracting at all, however if it bothers you then you will probably be happier with an LCD screen like that on the iPad.

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

It should flash. It is not just the nook. Every single ebook reader that used the e-ink display, including the nook and kindle, will flash as it changes the screen. This is normal and how the device refreshes one screen for another.

Contributor
Sharksweetie
0 Kudos

Thank you for the answer.   That's disappointing to me ( and to the person to whom I gave it). But I DO appreciate your replying.

Contributor
Sharksweetie
0 Kudos

Thank you for replying.  Guess I should have done more research before I jumped in and bought it :smileysad:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sharksweetie wrote:

Thanks.

Sass

There is a flash to some extent on every page turn in all E-Ink displays.  That being said, most people don't notice it after the first 6 page turns.

Confession: 

I've grown to like it.  Its not dissimilar to the "flash" of turning paper pages.  

Go to barnes and noble and look at the demo nooks.  See if they look the same.  There is no way we can know "what you saw" since you didnt bother to describe it.

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Sharksweetie wrote:

Thank you for the answer.   That's disappointing to me ( and to the person to whom I gave it). But I DO appreciate your replying.

Gave implies they got it free.  I wouldn't look a gift horse (or nook in this case) in the mouth...

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

Gave implies they got it free.  I wouldn't look a gift horse (or nook in this case) in the mouth...

@h2oskierc

I agree with you.  But check out the latest thread on Free Fridays:  the poor horses over there are getting full GI tract exams, while you wait!  :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

I agree with you.  But check out the latest thread on Free Fridays:  the poor horses over there are getting full GI tract exams, while you wait!  :smileyvery-happy:

Makes me wish I had a horse.  At least I could read a good book while I wait.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 1,050 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: