Reply
Contributor
Sharksweetie
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎05-12-2010
0 Kudos

Flashing Nook

I've had my Nook for a little while now and was so dissatisfied with it, that I bought an i-pad as my e-reader.  The person to whom I gave my Nook convinced me that the flash that occurs whenever a new page appear is probably a problem with my individual Nook - NOT with the Nook in general.  

 

Is this the case?  Do other people'sNooks "flash" with every new page?

 

Thanks.

 

Sass

"A good book is a friend for life."
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
Posts: 1,983
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Flashing Nook

 


Sharksweetie wrote:

I've had my Nook for a little while now and was so dissatisfied with it, that I bought an i-pad as my e-reader.  The person to whom I gave my Nook convinced me that the flash that occurs whenever a new page appear is probably a problem with my individual Nook - NOT with the Nook in general.  

 

Is this the case?  Do other people'sNooks "flash" with every new page?

 

Thanks.

 

Sass


 

 

Technically the NOOK screen can't "flash" as it doesn't emit any light.

 

It is the nature of e-ink displays that redrawing the screen is a multi-step process.

 

The screen needs to be cleared before the next page can be displayed since, unlike other technologies, simply sending the new page information does not erase what is already there.

 

The process of clearing and displaying the next page has been likened to a flash.

 

Personally I do not find this distracting at all, however if it bothers you then you will probably be happier with an LCD screen like that on the iPad.

 

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
Posts: 379
Registered: ‎12-27-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Flashing Nook

It should flash. It is not just the nook. Every single ebook reader that used the e-ink display, including the nook and kindle, will flash as it changes the screen. This is normal and how the device refreshes one screen for another.

Contributor
Sharksweetie
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎05-12-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Flashing Nook

Thank you for the answer.   That's disappointing to me ( and to the person to whom I gave it). But I DO appreciate your replying.

"A good book is a friend for life."
Contributor
Sharksweetie
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎05-12-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Flashing Nook

Thank you for replying.  Guess I should have done more research before I jumped in and bought it :smileysad:

"A good book is a friend for life."
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
Posts: 4,434
Registered: ‎11-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Flashing Nook

[ Edited ]

 


Sharksweetie wrote:

I've had my Nook for a little while now and was so dissatisfied with it, that I bought an i-pad as my e-reader.  The person to whom I gave my Nook convinced me that the flash that occurs whenever a new page appear is probably a problem with my individual Nook - NOT with the Nook in general.  

 

Is this the case?  Do other people'sNooks "flash" with every new page?

 

Thanks.

 

Sass


 

There is a flash to some extent on every page turn in all E-Ink displays.  That being said, most people don't notice it after the first 6 page turns.

 

Confession: 

I've grown to like it.  Its not dissimilar to the "flash" of turning paper pages.  

 

 

Go to barnes and noble and look at the demo nooks.  See if they look the same.  There is no way we can know "what you saw" since you didnt bother to describe it.

 

 

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
Posts: 292
Registered: ‎07-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Flashing Nook

 


Sharksweetie wrote:

Thank you for the answer.   That's disappointing to me ( and to the person to whom I gave it). But I DO appreciate your replying.


 

Gave implies they got it free.  I wouldn't look a gift horse (or nook in this case) in the mouth...

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Flashing Nook

 


h2oskierc wrote:

 

 

Gave implies they got it free.  I wouldn't look a gift horse (or nook in this case) in the mouth...

 


 

 

@h2oskierc

 

I agree with you.  But check out the latest thread on Free Fridays:  the poor horses over there are getting full GI tract exams, while you wait!  :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
h2oskierc
Posts: 292
Registered: ‎07-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Flashing Nook

 


ABthree wrote:

 

I agree with you.  But check out the latest thread on Free Fridays:  the poor horses over there are getting full GI tract exams, while you wait!  :smileyvery-happy:

 

Makes me wish I had a horse.  At least I could read a good book while I wait.

 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
320
207
177
120
114
Users Online
Currently online:8 members 289 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: