Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

lsl
Reader 4
lsl
0 Kudos

Re: Frame broke near page arrow.

I bought by Nook in May and a few days ago noticed that there was a crack beneath the right next page arrow.  I called B&N customer service and they sent me a "certified Pre-Owned Nook."  Loaded everything and it seems to be OK.  Returning the cracked Nook today via UPS.  There is no charge to the consumer for either the receipt or the return of the Nook.  When I spoke to customer service, they seemed to be aware of the "cracking" problem.

Reader
kellsbells
0 Kudos

Yeah, this CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED nook replacement is WRONG!  Mine cracked after a little over a month of use and now they're sending me a Certified Pre-Owned.  NOT HAPPY!!! 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

kellsbells wrote:

Yeah, this CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED nook replacement is WRONG!  Mine cracked after a little over a month of use and now they're sending me a Certified Pre-Owned.  NOT HAPPY!!! 

Sorry you're not happy, but this complies with the terms of the warranty.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

"They did tell me that the new ones have been fixed.  The nooks that end up with broken page buttons were built from a batch of "bad plastic".  In addition, they found that there was a screw under the button that was torqued too tight.  Both of these have now been fixed, so no need to master the finger swipe (which I don't like to use)."

If this is true then this is a design flaw or a breach of an implied warranty of merchantabiltity and should be repaired or replaced regardless of warranty.  Warrantys are designed to cover random failures not a known defect.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

MLBerry wrote:

If this is true then this is a design flaw or a breach of an implied warranty of merchantabiltity and should be repaired or replaced regardless of warranty.  Warrantys are designed to cover random failures not a known defect.

In a word: NO.

Warranties cover EXACTLY what they state that they cover.

The fact that you can eventually wear something out does not breach any implied warranty.

The fact that you simply CHOOSE to use the buttons instead of a quick jab of the thumb does not mean you are owed a new nook when you eventually wear out the buttons. You get a replacement nook per the warranty.

Lets check around for other computer/gadget warranty terms:

Dell  New or Refurbished parts. 

HP    New or USED parts.

Kindle New or Refurbished 

Ipod    New or Refurbished

So you see, you are fighting a losing battle.  The industry standard is new or refurbished parts as your warranty states.  

Really, this has been beat to death on these boards, and you are getting the device you paid for.  

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

kellsbells wrote:

You may be wasting your breath...looks like a drive-by...

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

shilohMD wrote:

Josienjoe wrote:

kellsbells wrote:

You may be wasting your breath...looks like a drive-by...

Maybe.  All right.  Probably  :smileywink:  But it needs to be pointed out for the sake of someone checking out the nook and reading the thread.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

Maybe.  All right.  Probably  :smileywink:  But it needs to be pointed out for the sake of someone checking out the nook and reading the thread.

Especially since the thread started in May 2010, lied dormant for 5 months, came back to life in December, and has now come back to life again...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

Icepack, as a lawyer, I respectfully disagree.  However It will take a lawsuit, probably a class action, to sort this out.  I really depends how many defective nooks were sold.

Reader 4
SaraFL
0 Kudos

My husband gave me my Nook last March as an early birthday gift (I had my son on my birthday).  I have read a lot of books on it!! Mine has cracked on the right side's forward arrow.  It's been this way for at least a few months now.  The button is still completely functional, however.  

Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF

SaraFL wrote:

My husband gave me my Nook last March as an early birthday gift (I had my son on my birthday).  I have read a lot of books on it!! Mine has cracked on the right side's forward arrow.  It's been this way for at least a few months now.  The button is still completely functional, however.  

If you want it replaced under warranty you need to call CS about it now.  Your year is almost up.

Reader
kellsbells
0 Kudos

Drive by???  No, not this time.

My opinion that I was wronged by B&N is just that, my opinion.  And we all know what opinions are like.

That being said, this issue with broken bezels or frames or whatever you want to call them at the page turn button is a widely reported issue with nooks.  Whether it be a bad batch of plastic, a design flaw, or an over torqued screw....it is a problem.  B&N is well aware of the problem, yet it continues to happen.  And there are numerous reports of these "certified pre-owned" replacements having the same issue on the 2nd and 3rd replacements.  My problem with the warranty is that it is replacing my broken nook with one that could very well have the same problem, but next time it will probably happen after my one year since it is from the date of original purchase.  Mine was a gift, so I did not have an opportunity to purchase an extended warranty, which in my experience hasn't been worth the paper it was written on. 

And yes, I'm well aware that I agreed to the terms of replacement when I registered my nook.  What am I going to do???  Not register it? 

Bottom line, B&N is just another big business making a buck with a flawed product which is designed to fail.  So I continue to be unhappy with the company and any other company that treats its loyal customers in such a manner.  And I'll cross my fingers that my new "certified pre-owned" nook lasts longer than the first.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

So how are you so absolutely positive that a brand new Nook (not knowing when it was manufactured) wouldn't have the same problem?

►Without order there is chaos◄
nsf
New User
nsf
0 Kudos

My frame cracked as near the page arrow just within the one year warrantee.  It was replaced and now one year later the replacement nook has cracked in the exact same spot as well.  This is definitely a design flaw of the nook.  I emd Barnes and Noble as soon as i got back from vacation, which was one month and one week after I got the replacment nook.  I was then instructed to call the 800 number and speak to a representative. I have read a total of 10 books in two years on my Nook-this is not a lot.  I was told it was out of the warrantee period of a year from ORIGINAL purchase and they would do NOTHING. The nooks work all i want is a new frame.  At this point I will be looking to purchase another product NOT THE NOOK.

nsf
New User
nsf
0 Kudos

I agree whole heartedly.  They replaced my first nook and will not replace the second one with the same cracked frame because the warrantee is one year from the Original purchase date. I have read a total of 10 books on my Nooks in 2 years  which is not a lot. 

I agree with your comment:

B&N is just another big business making a buck with a flawed product which is designed to fail.  So I continue to be unhappy with the company and any other company that treats its loyal customers in such a manner.  And I'll cross my fingers that my new "certified pre-owned" nook lasts longer than the first.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

nsf wrote:

I agree whole heartedly.  They replaced my first nook and will not replace the second one with the same cracked frame because the warrantee is one year from the Original purchase date. I have read a total of 10 books on my Nooks in 2 years  which is not a lot. 

I agree with your comment:

B&N is just another big business making a buck with a flawed product which is designed to fail.  So I continue to be unhappy with the company and any other company that treats its loyal customers in such a manner.  And I'll cross my fingers that my new "certified pre-owned" nook lasts longer than the first.

I have now had mine for 6 mos and read FAR more than 10 books and had NO problems whatsoever with it. Husband, daughter, son in law, father in law and at least three friends also have them and have experienced no problems.

Mine has been in countless trips with me and been used in all sorts of environments. My daughter actually dropped hers in the bathtub last weekend and it is still working! 

I am always sorry to read of those who ARE having issues, but with any product there are a certain amount that come off of the line flawed. It doesn't make it overall a bad product. 

LisaB

New User
lxracer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I, too, have this problem; my bezel cracked on the right-hand side just under the page-forward button.  The thing is, I bought my Nook in April of 2010 but I just started using it around February of 2011 (I had quite a few physical books that I wanted to finish reading before I started reading everything electronically).  Despite being out of warranty, I called BN today to report the problem and they offered to replace it immediately – no haggling required.  The replacement is scheduled to be shipped by tomorrow.

A couple weeks ago, BN had a good sale on their certified Wi-Fi only, recertified Nooks on eBay (BN’s seller name on eBay is barnesandnobleinc).  I bought two and when I received and tested them, I immediately noticed that the distinct click sound that my old Nook makes when I press any of the physical buttons is not present with the recertified Nooks.  Hopefully they’ve corrected the issue once and for all.

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

I'm having the same issue and as someone who has NEVER been unhappy with B&N customer service or my Nook.... I'm totally disappointed that my 2nd Nook (which was a replacement for the 1st one that had page button cracks) has cracked again, but alas I'm past my warranty, so apparently I'm supposed to just deal with it.

I won't complain here, I made my own thread before seeing this one http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/2nd-Nook-Page-button-Crack-I-feel-chea...

But I still feel cheated. 

-- Jonna

When the Power of Love becomes stronger than the Love of Power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 573 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: