Reader
bbrooks762us
0 Kudos

Frame broke near page arrow.

Well I've had my Nook since February. For the most part I've liked it. I understood that buying a new product I'd probably have some minor issues. But when after only 3 months the frame breaks where you change pages I find this unacceptable. Has anyone else had this problem? It seems like it must be a design flaw. If you've had this happen how much trouble was it to get it taken care of? Did B&N cover it or were you stuck having to get it fixed yourself? I know if you call Barnes and Noble with problems you spend a looooong time on hold. I just wanted to find out what I might be in for.

Contributor
TangoWhiskey
0 Kudos

Re: Frame broke near page arrow.

From what I've read, cracking around the page turn buttons is a problem for some. I've also read that it will be covered under the warranty. Just give Barnes and Noble a call and I'm sure it will be taken care of. Luckily I haven't experienced this problem yet because I tend to swipe to turn the pages.  The only thing I noticed with mine is some creaking around the frame. Hopefully someone else will chime in about it being covered under warranty.

Making a feeble attempt to stamp out disease and destruction....one patient at a time!
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

bbrooks762us wrote:

It seems like it must be a design flaw. If you've had this happen how much trouble was it to get it taken care of? Did B&N cover it or were you stuck having to get it fixed yourself? 

Search the forum for cracked buttons.  Huge long threads about this.

Short answer: 

Call them and they will replace it.

Telephone wait time us usually under 5 minutes these days.

And if you take a few minutes to perfect the finger swipe, your replacement nook won't crack.  

Contributor
luv2read64
0 Kudos

I just got of the phone with CS and they are processing my order for the replacement nook.  I had NO wait time at all before talking to someone! Not painful at all like in the past when I've had to wait for over an hour before even speaking to someone. :smileyhappy:

They will ship a brand new nook to me and I will send them the old one after I unregister it. I should receive the replacement in 2-3 days. This was the "rapid" option. It didn't cost anything, but I did need to give my cc number for their records just to guarantee that they get the old one back.  If I didn't want to give a cc number, I would need to return the broken one and wait for the new one (this would take about 14 working days).  I didn't want to be without my nook for that long!

They did tell me that the new ones have been fixed.  The nooks that end up with broken page buttons were built from a batch of "bad plastic".  In addition, they found that there was a screw under the button that was torqued too tight.  Both of these have now been fixed, so no need to master the finger swipe (which I don't like to use).

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

luv2read64 wrote:

They did tell me that the new ones have been fixed.  The nooks that end up with broken page buttons were built from a batch of "bad plastic".  In addition, they found that there was a screw under the button that was torqued too tight.  Both of these have now been fixed, so no need to master the finger swipe (which I don't like to use).

Ok, you are officially volunteering to post side by side pictures when your new one arrives to show any difference in plastic appearance or feel.  Thanks for that. ;-)

We would all love to see any hint of difference.

Some have had two consecutive nooks crack, so at least early on, the replacements were the same as the original.

My replacement nook had exactly the same plastic bezel.  Mine started cracking way back in January, I was one of the first to report it.  I can see no difference at all in the plastic.

So if you do see something or it seems harder or softer (finger nail test on the edge somewhere hidden) let us know.

And don't ship the old one back with your MicroSD card in it (If you added a card).

Reader 2
karlyl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I had this happen to me and I just sent it back to BN yesterday. Chatted with the customer service guy on Sunday after a few minute wait and got my email with shipping info and everything by Mon morning. I chose the std return option -- I have several paperbacks that I need to read and my Nook has been keeping me from doing so, haha.

Heed the reminders to unregister your Nook and remove your expansion card before sending it back! I am one of the dummies who sent it back with their microSD card in it ( doh! ). Luckily I have another and was planning on getting a bigger one to go in there anyway, so I'm not really upset about it.  I'm also one of the dummies who forgot to unregister from my Nook before sending it out. Passwords, etc, have now been changed, sigh. Man, I was a space cadet yesterday.

New User
Sashie
0 Kudos

I personally know three people that have had this happen.  These three people bought their Nooks at different times and different places, making it highly unlikely they came from the same batch.  Also, all three Nooks cracked in almost the exact same spot.  All three had the covers that open like a book.  We have been wondering if perhaps these covers may create a stress point.  I keep mine in a silicone cover and have had no problem regardless of how hard I am on it.  One of my friends is currently on her third Nook as this has occurred twice now.  Although she believes the cover is the culprit, she refuses to remove it because it is a Kate Spade and was an expensive gift.  I think she should return it and receive a full refund.  She was told the first time she called that her Nook was from a bad batch and that all current Nooks were reinforced.  Her second Nook cracked and was obviously not reinforced.  When she spoke with the Nook people that time she was told that there has been no effort made to reinforce them.  This is obviously a problem.  Three out of the five people I know have cracked Nooks.  I hope mine isn't next.

Reader
bbrooks762us
0 Kudos

Thank you for getting back to me on this. I guess I'd better be getting a hold of B&N to see about getting mine replaced and then putting a silicone cover on it to help reinforce it.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Sashie wrote:

I personally know three people that have had this happen.  These three people bought their Nooks at different times and different places, making it highly unlikely they came from the same batch.  Also, all three Nooks cracked in almost the exact same spot.  All three had the covers that open like a book.  We have been wondering if perhaps these covers may create a stress point.  I keep mine in a silicone cover and have had no problem regardless of how hard I am on it.  One of my friends is currently on her third Nook as this has occurred twice now.  Although she believes the cover is the culprit, she refuses to remove it because it is a Kate Spade and was an expensive gift.  I think she should return it and receive a full refund.  She was told the first time she called that her Nook was from a bad batch and that all current Nooks were reinforced.  Her second Nook cracked and was obviously not reinforced.  When she spoke with the Nook people that time she was told that there has been no effort made to reinforce them.  This is obviously a problem.  Three out of the five people I know have cracked Nooks.  I hope mine isn't next.

This has happened under all conditions, with BN covers, with other covers and people with naked nooks.  I usually read mine naked and use the finger swipe, I still had it happen.  The covers have nothing to do with it.  BN has acknowledged (through CS) this is a problem with the plastic used.

I would hate to have someone scared away from using a cover and then the nook isn't protected.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

bbrooks762us wrote:

Thank you for getting back to me on this. I guess I'd better be getting a hold of B&N to see about getting mine replaced and then putting a silicone cover on it to help reinforce it.

Think twice about this before using it if you have pets.  The silicone is sticky and everything clings to it.

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FrogAlum wrote:

bbrooks762us wrote:

Think twice about this before using it if you have pets.  The silicone is sticky and everything clings to it.

x2 - Seriously dude, Silcone+pet hair = big hairy mess. I bought it so I can protect my nook from day one....BLEH! 4 cats and a dog, not good!  Bought Oberon cover instead...NOTHING sticks to it, except for the inside, which is easily cleaned off with tape roller thingy. :-)

New User
debyed
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook since January and have read about 20+ books. My frame has also cracked at the right forward page turn arrow. I was able to get out today and go to the Barnes and Noble Store. They exchanged my nook without a problem, however I did end up purchasing the extra warranty for $70' which wasn't offered at the time I ordered my nook via B&N.com (Ordered in early Dec, received in Jan). I was very happy with the way this was handled.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

B&N offered a warranty from day one.  I orderd mine on 11/29/2009 and got the warranty at the same time.

The only catch was you had to order it on the same order as the nook.  

I'm amazed they let you buy it on the new nook, but then it is a new nook, so perhaps there is a loop-hole for those who failed to order it with their nook - but only if their buttons go bad first.  

You could have gotten a SquareTrade warranty for 39.99.  Had I known that when I ordered mine I probably would have gone with SquareTrade.

Reader 2
ingallsra
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Barnes & Noble is replacing the cracked-frame nooks under the standard manufacturer's warranty--$70 warranty is not required to get your nook replaced if you have the cracking issue.

It's nice that they're letting people add the more comprehensive warranty with their replacement nooks though.

Contributor
Capecruiser
0 Kudos

I got my nook in Feb.  Went on a cruise in April, where I read 4 books in 5 days.  Nook cracked where I would tap to turn the page forward.  Returned Nook to Barnes the next day.  Took an hour, got new nook. Did not know that I should unregister it.  Registered new nook.  All books then downloaded.  Customer support says that the store unregistered old nook and that the cover had been redesigned (it looks the same).  I do not have a cover or skin on my nook.  I keep my nook in a quilted case that I made.

Inspired Contributor
Jason_Corner
0 Kudos

I think it is the insides that have been redesigned or they have changed the manufacturing process.  The older Nooks often have "sticky" or creaky buttons, whereas the new ones the page turn buttons have no issues.  There was a post a month or so ago from someone who had opened their Nook and had seen some overhang in the plastic that once they sanded it off eliminated the problem.  Likely better quality control on the newer Nooks eliminates this problem.

Reader 2
Lvmycorcor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am on my 2nd Nook.  First one cracked within 2 weeks.  Took a month to get the replacement,

I have had the 2nd one for approx 2 months now, and 2 days ago it cracked again!!!

Right by the right bottom arrow. So I'll be calling again on Monday to have this one replaced

with a 3rd one. 

I purchased the ext. warranty, but, if this happens again I might ask for a

total refund.  No product like this should be cracking in the same spot

repeatedly.

New User
dwright
0 Kudos

I bought mine in April, and the plastic around the button just cracked now, in November. Would I still be covered in the "cracking problem" warrantee?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Yes. Call Customer Support and arrange for a replacement.
Contributor
nanz
0 Kudos

My nook that I purchased in July cracked as well where the arrow is for page turn.  I had purchased the nook from Best Buy and had purchased the extended warranty.  I took the nook to the store where I purchased it and was able to exchange it for a new nook no questions asked.  I too am very careful  with my new nook that I always use the page swipe with my finger unless it is where you cannot do this (i.e., looking for one of your books that you loaded and you have numerous books).  Whenever I have to use the arrow keys I am very careful when pressing it. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:150 members 751 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: