Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
M_Potter
0 Kudos

Frozen On Screensaver

My Nook has been stuck on the screensaver for about 5 days now. After reading past posts I am now trying to leave the battery out over night. Any other help would be great.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Frozen On Screensaver

You could try plugging it in with the battery out. 

That used to always work, but does nothing most of the time now.  Might work tho.

If that fails, leaving it out over night might let it recover enough to at least allow you to charge it. (Be sure you do that before even trying to turn it on - have it plugged in right away).

Failing that, you have to visit a B&N store, borrow their demo unit battery.

Swap in the demo battery right there in the store, boot the nook, plug in nook, leave it plugged in, and swap your battery back in and continue to charge for at least half an hour. 

If no B&N nearby, you can do this with any friend's nook battery.  Just don't unplug the nook once you get it to boot.

Contributor
DocJustice
0 Kudos

I just had this happen to me.  I've had my Nook since December and it's worked great.  Yesterday I tried to wake it up to no avail, so I was bummed.

I have to give BN customer service credit, they gave useful advice to try before declaring it dead and when that didn't work they're replacing it with no hassle.  Not only that, but I opted to give them credit card info to have on file (to prevent me keeping the old one, not to be charged) for expidited service and now UPS says they'll have the replacement to me tomorrow in advance of the Labor Day holiday.  I read a lot about bad customer service experiences, but for me, BN really has come through.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

And you know, in both cases in this thread, the most likely problem was simply a totally drained battery.

Its really sad when software incompetency ends up necessitating hardware replacement. 

I had the rapid battery drain to zero again last night. An hour on the charger made no difference till I swapped with my wife's battery, got it booted and then swapped back while still plugged in.

B&N needs to replace version 1.4.  Its time to start making noise in the mainstream press about this fiasco.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 566 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: