Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
kaseymeredith
0 Kudos

Frozen nook...taking out the battery does not work.

I've had my nook since January. It's never really had a big problem before...yes, I've had to do a few reboots but nothing that required me to take out the battery. I recently didn't have access to my nook for about a week, and when I finally tried to read a book again, it was frozen. I've tried everything to try to get it to work but nothing is working. Even when I managed to unfreeze it a few times, it would just lock up again. I would plug it into my computer, and it would work, and then when I would try to "access" my books while it was plugged in (by ejecting it from My Computer) it wouldn't work. And when I would remove the battery, the image on the screen of the nook was still there and frozen. I can't do anything with it!

Has anyone had this problem? What should I do? Thank you!

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

Re: Frozen nook...taking out the battery does not work.

I'm kind of curious why you didn't call customer service.   it sounds like a warranty replacement to me.

New User
lennon331
0 Kudos

I have been having the same problem. Back in mid-Jan I was told that 1.2 should eliminate the problem. It did not. I just wrote a second email to Customer Service. Love the product but am frustrated with the unreliability.

Correspondent
crim_crazy622
0 Kudos

a couple of weeks ago my nook froze completely.  I couldn't do anything with it.  At the time I wasn't at home so i couldn't do anything about it.  i took it home and I plugged it in.  The battery shouldn't have gone dead but I had tried everything so I figured it wouldn't hurt.  So try plugging it in.  It took some time but eventually it came back to life.  Try letting it plug in for a while. 

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining." ~Dave Matthews ~
New User
Carrieee
0 Kudos

Re: Frozen nook..Taking out the battery does not work.

Try putting your nook on airplane mode. My touch phone does the same thing. I think that it is freezing due to that.  At least that works with my cell phone. I always keep my airplane mode on unless I am going to buy a book.

New User
nyjosecito
0 Kudos

just got off the phone with customer service. remove the battery, plug into the wall outlet, put battery back it while pluged into the wall, and it came back to life. they said they are aware of the problem, they have had many calls, and it shouldn't happen again.

New User
bacarroll
0 Kudos

I have had that problem to.  I have had my nook since Christmas, and it has happened 2 times, and now my nook is frozen turning on!  To fix that problem you have to plug in your nook to your wall outlet for up to 4 hours, and it will re-boot on it's own! Hope that helps!

Inspired Correspondent
DblGee
0 Kudos

This happened to me as well after trying to download a book from Google books.  I finally did manage to get it to reboot after much fiddling and freaking

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

New User
Gaetels
0 Kudos

As some people have already discovered through customer service, this is a common problem and can be remedied as follows:

1. Pry open the back of your nook and remove the battery;
  2. Plug your nook into a wall outlet which will reboot your nook;
  3. After your nook is rebooted, unplug your nook, replace the battery and replace the back cover.
  4. Replug your nook into a wall outlet and let fully charge.

I have had to do this at least 5 times since receiving my nook on February 1st.  I have been told there is an upgrade that will be available soon that will correct this problem.  It doesn't appear to be out yet but hopefully it will be out soon.....

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

New User
flbass
0 Kudos

I have just had my Nook a few days.  (I love it!)   It hung up tonight and was feeling frustrated till I read and tried the advice of removing the battery, plugging in to the wall and replacing the battery.  The first time I did it that way, it didn't unlock.   What I did was unplug the battery while plugged in, let it set for about 10 seconds, then replaced the battery and it unlocked.   Why it worked one way and not the other I don't know.   I really didn't like the removal of the battery while plugged in, but it worked. 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

New User
mktonka
0 Kudos

Good Morning,

Can someone with a lot of patience tell me how to remove the battery.  My nook is frozen and I am attempting to folow the suggestions for a fix.  Thank you.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Attached below is a video page with instructions for this procedure: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE&cds2Pid=30195#vid3 

Hope this helps!

New User
Burme
0 Kudos

This worked to the point that I no longer have the unresponding white screen. I am letting it charge and will post if I have any other issues. If I have this issue any more I will request a replacement.

New User
ElizabethDG
0 Kudos

SCREEN FROZEN -

[ Edited ]

The screen on my Nook is frozen and I can't even turn it off.  This occurred two days ago.  Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, what is the solution.  Help!

UPDATE- I called B&N Support and they helped me fix the problem. THANKS!!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: SCREEN FROZEN -

[ Edited ]

In the rare case that your nook is not responding, try these steps, one at a time to get it fully functioning again:

1.  Press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds and then release.  Then press it again for about 4 seconds to power up your nook. *

2.  The battery on your nook may be completely drained. Connect your nook to a wall outlet using the nook AC-Adapter and charge your nook for at least 2 hours.

3.  Remove then replace the same battery.  Attached below is a video page with instructions for this procedure: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

If you are still having any problems with your nook, please call Customer Service to help troubleshoot your unit. You may call toll-free in the United States at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and ask for Digital Support.

Don't worry, nook is backed by a one year manufacturer's warranty against any mechanical failure. And if you selected the optional B&N Protection Plan at the time you purchased your nook, then your nook is covered for 2-years against mechanical failure, as well as accidental damage.

NOTE:  *This is a standard industry reboot procedure with electronic devices.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Michael:

First your link doesn't work.

Second, the proper procedure according to Digital support is to

1. Remove the battery.
  2. Plug it in with the battery still out, and let it boot.
  3. Restore the battery with it still plugged in
  4. Let it charge.

Third:

There is no such thing as Industry Standard Reboot procedures.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

icebike,

I checked on the link and reposted it and it should be working now.

The proper procedure to charge or re-charge your battery can be found in the User Guide on page starting on page 19.  It is not a requirement to remove the battery as you stated in your post.* 

Also, almost every electronic device that has some issue with say a computer desktop screen not working properly and even many software updates industry wide require a reboot to "fix" it or "correct" it or complete an update.  So just to confirm this is an industry wide procedure.

*You may have been informed by a Digital Support representative to perform your battery charge in a specific manner but it may have been issue specific.

We appreciate your input though.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 566 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: