Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MangosMom
0 Kudos

Frozen nook.

I brought my nook on Tuesday.  Set it up on Tuesday after hours of trial and error.  I still have not loaded the new upload, can't figure that out.  Did finally upload a book.  Was way to tired after all that work to read.  Picked it up this morning and started my book.  Read 6 pages and the thing froze up.  I've read other blogs about this problem and tired all the suggestions.  I cannot get the back of my nook open to get to the battery.  Watched the video Mike suggested and still cannot get it opened.  I am truly afraid of braking the thing trying to get it opened.  I realize going to the store is probably a good idea, but I do not live close.  It really is a trip for me.  Can anyone help.  Thanks much.

Chris...

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Re: Frozen nook.

[ Edited ]

Plug it in to charge it up.

"Frozen" basically means "no power". The e-ink screen is like paper. When the power goes out, it will keep whatever was last written on it.

Allow about 20 minutes for the yellow "charging" light to come on. If it doesn't come on within 20 minutes, call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and ask for Digital Support. They can walk you through the trouble-shooting process a zillion times faster than we can.

(Unlike most Customer Service operations that you're used to, B&N's is usually very fast, very pleasant, very helpful, and they're not located in India. If you have a problem, you really should think about calling them first. Unless it's the middle of the night, when they're closed.)

New User
MangosMom
0 Kudos

Thanks Doug.  I'm going to give it a try...

New User
SusieQ114
0 Kudos

Hold in th power button for about 20-30 seconds.  If it does not come on immediately, hold in the power button again for 20-30 seconds.  That should do it.  You will feel a lot more comfortable using the Nook in a few days

New User
Lina5
0 Kudos

I had the same problem abt frozen nook - I wanted to throw my Nook out the window. So I did call Digital Support & they were fabulous in trouble shooting - very fast & nice. Had to take the battery out as holding the power button for 20 sec did not do the trick. Now I'm waiting to reboot the Nook...hopefully it will come back to life...and TG I bought the extra warranty. This is only 1 week old.....

New User
Diane5086
0 Kudos

That worked for me, thanks! It was frustrating b/c I only have had it a few hrs. and it froze!!! :smileytongue:

New User
chrismom
0 Kudos

Thanks Doug. I was extremely frustrated with the thing.

Janet

New User
heinzel
0 Kudos

I just received my nook about 2 hrs ago - frozen-called the 800 hot line - waited 20 minutes and still on hold. This is frustrating - ready to return it to B& N.  If technical support not available what am I to do.......I have it plugged in and waiting for yellow light - It is on but frozen completely.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@heinzel,

Hopefully your issue was resolved, but try these steps, one at a time to get your NOOK fully functioning again:

1.  Press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds and then release.  Then press it again for about 4 seconds to power up your NOOK. 

2.  The battery on your NOOK may be completely drained. Connect your NOOK to a wall outlet using the NOOK AC-Adapter and charge your NOOK for at least 2 hours.* 

*In some cases, re-charging may require the following steps below:

-Unplug the NOOK.

-Remove the battery (if you don't know how, I have attached a video page on how to remove the battery): 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/NOOK/video.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE&cds2Pid=30195#vid3

Once the battery is removed, connect your NOOK to a wall outlet using the NOOK AC-Adapter.  The NOOK should begin to go through its booting process.  Once booted, replace the battery (don't turn the NOOK off or unplug) and charge your NOOK for at least 2 hours.

Once your NOOK is fully functioning, please verify you have the latest update by going to Settings from the Home menu and check to see that your Software version is 1.3.0.

If you don't have the latest update you can download it here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 767 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: