Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
carlyjean
0 Kudos

Frustrating software update!

2nd time in a couple of months this has happened and driving me crazy. Tried turning on the Nook, had only turned it off about 5 min. in order to search bn.com for a new book. Tried turning it on, nothing. After another 10 min I get a 'updating software do not turn off". I didn't turn it off but it resets automatically to factory settings.
This means I have to re-register, re-set my wi fi settings etc. Does this happen to everyone? Its very frustrating!
Thank you

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Re: Frustrating software update!

No it doesn' happen to everyone. What software version does the nook say is installed?

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Couple of suggestions--

Put your NOOK in "Airplane Mode."  If your NOOK is in Airplane Mode when you turn it on, it will not be able to automatically check for any kind of updates--software or otherwise.

If your NOOK is not updated to 1.5, do a manual update.  (NOOK still in Airplane Mode.)  Once your NOOK is updated to the latest software version, it should no longer try to update when you go into WiFi.

I manually updated as soon as 1.5 became available and have never had your problem. ( Of course, since I made the above suggestions :smileyvery-happy:,they seem logical to me!)

Reregistering all the time would be a real pain.  If a manual update doesn't work, I'm sure someone else can offer other suggestions.

Reader 2
carlyjean
0 Kudos

Hi, thanks for the reply. I should have said it was on Airplane mode. I had finished with one book and turned it off.

Once I went online on PC I purchased a new book and went to turn Nook back on so I could turn on wi fi and download the new one.

This is when I encountered the problem. The Nook screen never turned on. For a couple of minutes I kept pressing the on toggle and nothing would happen.Finally I saw a screen that said it was updating and not to turn the Nook off... next thing I saw scrolling along the bottom was "Resetting to factory settings".

This was the second time this has happened and 1.5 was downloaded even before that.

The only time I ever have wi fi on is when I'm downloading a new book. I usually look for the next book I want to read on my PC and then switch the Nook to wi fi to download it.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Pressing and repressing the on/off button on the top IS a problem.  NOOK does not respond immediately to on/off commands and repeatedly pressing the button confuses it.  (I haven't gone back to the manual, but you may find that repeated on/off is the signal for a factory reset!)

Again, I would do a manual install of 1.5 (if you are reset to any other version).

Then, I would stay in Airplane Mode unless doing some download process--Daily, Shop or Check for New Content--and I would NOT turn off my NOOK after normal use. 

I make sure I am in Airplane Mode and after reading, and then I simply tap my on/off button once, quickly--to put my NOOK to sleep, not turn it off.  One of my screen saver images appears.  When I am ready to read again, another single, quick pressing of the on/off button wakes my NOOK up--but it's a lazy wake up--there is a slight delay before the screen flashes and then refreshes.

My NOOK responds best to firm, deliberate comands followed by a few seconds of patience. 

Hope this helps.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

Pressing and repressing the on/off button on the top IS a problem.  NOOK does not respond immediately to on/off commands and repeatedly pressing the button confuses it.

A bit:smileyvery-happy:

Doing it 6 times is enough to convince the nook it cannot start and perform a factory fallback to the original software version. This proceedure erases everything on the intenral drive and resets to factory defaults.

To avoid this, hold the power button down until the screen flashes then release. 

B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

Performing a factory fallback is definitely something I would suggest bringing your device in for. More often than not, devices stuck in the update mode can easily be remedied by sideloading the most current update. You must delete off the portion that has already downloaded and sideload the non-corrupt data. In my experience, this is very successful.

Molly - CRM2723
Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

To avoid this, hold the power button down until the screen flashes then release.

The above directions are for turning your NOOK OFF; the screen will go blank, white.

If you press the button firmly, but quickly once, you will--and there may be a moment's hesitation--see the screen flash and then a screen saver image will appear.  Your NOOK is now asleep, a state which (arguably) uses no more energy than turning it off and then on again.  I put my NOOK to sleep rather than turning it off after each use.

MollyO wrote:

Performing a factory fallback is definitely something I would suggest bringing your device in for. More often than not, devices stuck in the update mode can easily be remedied by sideloading the most current update. You must delete off the portion that has already downloaded and sideload the non-corrupt data. In my experience, this is very successful.

Just so we are all clear about terms--the "sideloading" of the most current update mentioned above is the same thing as a "manual" update. 

MollyO is correct that you need to make sure you have no corrupt data fragments of 1.5 in your NOOK before attempting the new update. I may have assumed incorrectly that a "reset" to "factory settings" would have cleared these fragments.

A manual install is not really difficult, but if you have a B&N close to you that will perform this update for you--great deal! 

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

gstone wrote:

The above directions are for turning your NOOK OFF; the screen will go blank, white.

If you press the button firmly, but quickly once, you will--and there may be a moment's hesitation--see the screen flash and then a screen saver image will appear.  Your NOOK is now asleep, a state which (arguably) uses no more energy than turning it off and then on again.  I put my NOOK to sleep rather than turning it off after each use.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough but the OP's problem stemmed from trying to power the unit from off to on.

The nook is really slow to start up and give any indication that it is starting up. What it sounded like is the OP was initiating the startup but when nothing seemed to happen the OP held the power button down again which turned it off during the boot up process. This sequence was repeated enough times that the unit performed a Factory Fallback. When the nook finally started up it connected to wifi and downloaded the current update.

When the nook is off, holding the power button down until the screen flashes will avoid this comedy of errors.

If you are using your nook daily, my experience indicates you need to power cycle only if the unit develops odd behavior. If it is days between uses, go ahead and power it off. The current sleep function will power off after 72 hours. If the nook has less than a 60% charge and its left on for days without use you can wind up in a situation where the nook appears frozen because the battery is depleted.

Reader 2
carlyjean

Thanks for all the help guys. I will definitely use firm off/on presses when turning it off or back on. I always thought leaving the Nook in sleep mode still used up the battery but I'll start leaving it on Sleeping when I'm not reading.

I usually have the adapter next to the chair I'm reading in so its easy enough to re-charge when needed.

I'll also make a trip to my local B&N to make sure the 1.5 has updated properly.

Thanks again for all the help and tips.

Contributor
Susan_Pettrone
0 Kudos

Airplane mode? How in the world do you do that? I can't recall even seeing that on my NOOK!

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Susan_Pettrone wrote:

Airplane mode? How in the world do you do that? I can't recall even seeing that on my NOOK!

User Guide page 39:

To turn Airplane mode on or off:
1 On the Home menu, tap wi-fi. The current setting is displayed in the Airplane mode menu.
2 Tap the Airplane mode menu to toggle between On and Off.
You can also toggle Airplane mode on and off from the settings > Airplane mode menu.
On the NOOK (Wi-Fi + 3G model), when you turn Airplane mode off, Wi-Fi remains off if
it was off prior to Airplane mode being turned on, and Wi-Fi is turned on if it was on prior
to Airplane mode being turned on.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

carlyjean wrote:

Thanks for all the help guys. I will definitely use firm off/on presses when turning it off or back on. I always thought leaving the Nook in sleep mode still used up the battery but I'll start leaving it on Sleeping when I'm not reading.

I usually have the adapter next to the chair I'm reading in so its easy enough to re-charge when needed.

I'll also make a trip to my local B&N to make sure the 1.5 has updated properly.

Thanks again for all the help and tips.

You shouldn't have to go to B&N, just look in the nook settings and it will tell you what software version it's running.  It won't show 1.5 if the update was unsuccessful.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 67 members 1,086 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: