Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Lou3000
0 Kudos

GO BACK TO THE OLD ICONS! (1.2)

I can't be the only one that thinks the new home screen icons are aweful.  The colored bars were so modern and good looking.

Frequent Contributor
Xandie
0 Kudos

Re: GO BACK TO THE OLD ICONS! (1.2)

I'm not so in love with the new ones either. I wish they'd put in an option to give us a choice... but to be honest, I'd rather have uglier buttons than a nook that cant keep my place if I have to turn it off :smileyhappy:

Xandie

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

No No NO.  New icons are way more elegant.  I vote no.

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

No No NO.  New icons are way more elegant.  I vote no.

Seconded!

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Contributor
LexMax
0 Kudos

The marketing folks must be upset too - the old scheme was prominently featured in all the collateral.  These look like a rookie programmer's first attempt at button-making, plus wha't up with the shading on the buttons, it's like a water-line across the touchscreen (and I don't think it's me, I saw the same thing on someone else's post of the new buttons).  I do, however, think the navigation controls are better looking and easier to use.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

What I saw of them looked good.

Though I'd vote for the ability to choose from a number of options on the settings screen so everyone could just go with what suits them. It's not like they changed the functunality of them in some way.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

I vote to keep the new buttons.

The new up and down buttons are much easier to press.

Contributor
Lou3000
0 Kudos

Agreed, they have absolutely no personality and are completely out of line with all the promotional materials.

I say give us the option to change back.

Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

There's not a single blasted thing wrong with the new icons.  Geesh, Louise.

Honest, they're nice.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I wonder if the changed buttons are a quick way of figuring out whether you have the update or not...

But I agree, I like the old ones a bit more, and I'd like the option (as described in the user manual) to change the appearance of the touch screen to suit my tastes.  Then everyone could be happy!

Frequent Contributor
cmassa
0 Kudos

it's definitely a strange change...the old home screen design was featured everywhere, and it's still on the main nook page.  these new buttons look like they were designed by someone who just finished learning how to apply photoshop filters. 

Inspired Contributor
Dito

Jeeze, it's just like the update to the Facebook interface that rolled out yesterday.

Some people apparently just don't cope well with change.

Now, with that off my chest, I think being able to toggle between various button "sets" would be a cool feature. Maybe even open it up to the public, like the wallpapers and screensavers.

But let's save it for a future update and be happy with the genuine improvements in 1.2, m'kay?

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

Lou3000 wrote:

Agreed, they have absolutely no personality and are completely out of line with all the promotional materials.

And the stupid solid bar DID have personality?  You're kidding, right?

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Contributor
bleekbleek
0 Kudos

Can someone post a picture???

Contributor
GBI47
0 Kudos

I would vote for the old home screen buttons.  The new ones don't look as nice to me.  And I'm fine with change - just because something changes doesn't mean it's automatically good or bad.  One can still have an opinion.

The new ones have that iPhone app icon 'shine' effect to them (the curved line through the middle) but the Nook's LCD screen doesn't seem to be the same quality as an iPhone LCD so it just looks 'off' here.  The old buttons were better suited to fit the Nook's screen quality, in my opinion.

So a return to the old buttons on the home screen or the option to pick the style you want would sit very well with me.

Frequent Contributor
DemonicDuck
0 Kudos

Lou3000 wrote:

I can't be the only one that thinks the new home screen icons are aweful.  The colored bars were so modern and good looking.

My guess is they thought these bubbly icons are more "modern" however they're not nearly as clean looking I also don't really like the redesign of the rest of the menus either(the siler bars and arrows)

Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bleekbleek wrote:

Can someone post a picture???

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

I haven't seen the new icons and haven't updated to 1.2, but I will say this: The fact that B&N is spending the time and effort to make cosmetic changes when there are actual functional issues with the software is hugely disappointing.  Let's get the thing working first, then make changes to the appearance.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Lou3000 wrote:

The promotional materials are largely a web page.  How long will that take to change.

Sticking to the promo materials is the silliest standard I have ever seen. There could be no possible advance in technology if this advice was followed.

The new icons, and color scheme is way more modern, and has far more personality.

Oddly enough, I've never heard anyone whine that the iPhone had no personality, and it uses these two-tone icons for everything.

However the upgrade must be a resounding success if all you can complain about is a color scheme.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

I haven't seen the new icons and haven't updated to 1.2, but I will say this: The fact that B&N is spending the time and effort to make cosmetic changes when there are actual functional issues with the software is hugely disappointing.  Let's get the thing working first, then make changes to the appearance.

Oh, calm down kerifiur.

What was the on-staff artist to do.  Pick up a programming manual and start cutting code?  You really want that?  

I'm GLAD they changed it.  It indicates that the staff consists of more than two guys in a dingy office strewn with empty pizza boxes.  If they have a graphic artist on staff it means the level of commitment is high.

Really, is that all you can find to complain about in this upgrade?  A roaring Success, in other words. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 61 members 379 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: