Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
lindag8r
0 Kudos

Re: GO BACK TO THE OLD ICONS! (1.2)

B&N: In 1.2.1 Let us switch back to the original buttons if we want. Please?

This is strictly my humble opinion, and as such, is worth very little.  However, I am not overly fond of the new icons.  I am sure there are multiple reasons for the change. On the next update, if there is a possibility of changing the icon styles, then I respectfully add my voice to others in the hopes that a choice in icon styles will be available.  

That being said, I also want to thank B & N as this is the second upgrade to address issues with the nook in a very short time period. B & N's response does portray a desire to listen, grow, and try to meet our concerns/needs/aesthetic requests. 

I got my noon December 16th and hubby's nook arrived on February 2nd.  Both nooks have functioned within normal parameters.  And we love our nooks!  

Happy Reading!

Inspired Contributor
Dito
0 Kudos

GBI47 wrote:

No one here is dismissing the work the devs have done on this update.  A GUI change was made and some of us do not like it.  We are saying so, as is our right and (one could argue) responsibility as Nook customers.

I know this message and other level-headed, constructive criticisms will continue to go ignored or met with ridicule in this thread, so I give up.  I've sent in my feedback to B&N about this issue and I urge others who agree with me to do the same.

As a side note, I'd like to apologize for stating my opinion on this board.  I guess I know better now than to have, much less state a preference for something over something else before consulting all of you fine people as to whether my preference was the correct one.

I guess what I don't understand is why people care so much - one way or the other. I looked at the blog posts while my update was downloading. My only real reaction was "Huh. They changed the icons." And then I went about my business.

I think what a lot of people are upset about is this: the appearance that some people always need something to complain about. The update fixed a great many actual problems with the devices. And, while the developers and engineers were doing their thing, the design department had the chance to do their thing as well. It seems perfectly reasonable to me.

In a previous life, I was a web programmer. We constantly did the exact opposite of this graphic/function update. We continually redesigned the sites with new graphics and reorganized menus, but never fixed a single problem. It grew tiresome doing the same thing over and over again, but with a different color scheme. And I came to see it as a genuine disservice to our customers who continued to write in with real problems.

Tweaking the icons and shading the menu bars is a microscopic change, especially when compared with the technical improvements. As such, it's genuinely hard for me (and plenty of others) to understand why this warrants such vocal opposition. 

It would indeed be super-cool if we could change the icons whenever we want. I'm sure someone at the B&N nook team added it to their enormous to-do list.

Until then, you're free to complain all you want. Just don't act surprised when others complain in return.

Inspired Contributor
PlainBobMax
0 Kudos

I like the new buttons, but I personally would have preferred them to spend their time adding a Go To Page function rather than design a new interface.

Not whining, just stating what I would have preferred. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
oceans1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I do not care about the buttons.

Frequent Contributor
four0six
0 Kudos

I do not feel they needed to update the UI...

However, I LOVE the new buttons!  As soon as it updated, it put a smile on my face.  The buttons and the interface are wonderful!

Plus the bookmarks work!!!!

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

Steve2000 wrote:

"And if looks didn't matter, many of us might be reading on Kindles."

I'm glad you agree that the Kindle is the superior eReader but your delusional if you think that the Nook looks better than the Kindle. The Nook with its shiny white plastic bezel and its less than slim profile looks like a Fisher price toy.

And that's why the owner of all three Kindles was OOHING and AAHING and literally salivating over my nook at the theatre tonight before the play.  And why he asked to see it again during intermission.  By the start of Act 2, he was saying to his wife how he was ready to get rid of all three Kindles for a nook.

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Inspired Contributor
Evrosado
0 Kudos

I will be updating today.  From the posted picture (thanks for posting it) I like the buttons.  People need to find something to complain about & if the buttons is the worst of it, fine.

Evelyn
Contributor
STAR-TWINKLE
0 Kudos

I understand some people don't like change, but I am sorry icons are just that, icons.

I know I didn't get a Nook because I liked the way the icons looked.  I got it because:

1. I wanted an e-reader so I could stop adding to my pile of paper books. 

2. I am a big fan of touchscreen (not the look of the icons)

I know that some people believe that this update was for cosmetic purpose only but I have to disagree.  As someone who posted earlier said, there are plenty of people in the world who are color blind.  The old icons made it harder for them to distinguish where each button ended and the next one began.  The new icons clearly distinguish each button and gives a clear focal point.  Because of this I believe it was an improvement of functionality as well.  Just because it didn't seem like a functionality upgrade to you doesn't mean it wasn't one.

Do I care if they give the choice in the future? No.  Do I think that the choices should be given in the very next upgrade, No, not if it is purely for cosmetic reasons.  I belive, as do most people, that functionality should be worked on first and then worry about all the extra stuff. 

Now, for all of you who think that the new icons are ugly, how often do you sit with your nook open just staring at the icons on your touch screen?  I know if I am sitting with my nook in my hands I actually click on one of the icons so I can do something, be it search for a new book or read something.  I don't know if someone knows something that I don't but you only see the menu with all the icons if you are doing nothing and just staring at your wallpaper.  How often does everyone do that?  Better yet why would you just stare at wallpaper and icons after paying $259?

That being said, I have to wonder.... What if the Nook was released with the new icons that they gave in this update and they changed them to the old icons?  How many people would complain that they were plain, flat and antiquated not simply because it was the truth but because it was a change?

I really don't care one way or the other how the icons are as long as i can read, distinguish, press them and get to where I want to go in my Nook.  I am just glad B&N is working at fixing the problems so it can become what they claim it to be "the world's most advanced e-reader."  I am not new to a first generation product, so I know it takes some time, but I think B&N has a pretty good start on fixing everything comparing it to time frames of other 1st Gen product updates on other devices that I have had.  I got an e-reader so i can do just that, read.  As long as I can do that everything else that comes along with that is a bonus (as long as it works..lol).

Correspondent
rhayes
0 Kudos

Less Juice

I'm thinking the new icons are the result of an attempt to use less battery power.

We know that the touch screen, when lit up or used, uses more battery power. The new icons are smaller, and the area between them is dark. If that means less battery juice to light up the entire area of the touch screen, like the original icons did, then it's well worth it.

And I like the look of the new icons, too. So there.  =)

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Less Juice

Rhayes:  

Size of icon doesn't matter, but the transparency would matter.  The new ones may well be more transparent than the old.

Personally I just suspect they hired a graphic designer with more taste and elegance rather than the hacks posting here.  Designers are a lot like hair dressers.  New one comes to town and all the old ones noses point skyward.

The new ones simply look way more modern and elegant than those slabs.

Correspondent
rhayes
0 Kudos

Good thinking, Icebike. I didn't know about the transparancy thing. Did you notice the changes in the menus? The lines are now two toned. Maybe that helps save battery too. Dunno.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

rhayes wrote:

Good thinking, Icebike. I didn't know about the transparancy thing. Did you notice the changes in the menus? The lines are now two toned. Maybe that helps save battery too. Dunno.

I find the menus themselves to be MUCH better - the gradations/curving makes it easier to differentiate between items, and, in particular, when you hit the up/down buttons (or the enter button), the WHOLE button now lights up rather than just the icon - having just the icon light up when, 99% of the time it's sitting UNDER your fingertip, combined with the relatively slow response rate of the e-ink screen compared to the touchscreen (natural limitation of e-ink) just made for confusion as to whether you actually pushed the button.  With the whole button lighting up, it eliminates this problem.  

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

rhayes wrote:

I donno.  I do know that gradient shaded buttons are very popular these days. KDE (linux), Mac OS, iPhone, Windows 7, heck, even this very web page use them.  Its very popular and gives a rich look.  My kindle friends are drooling over the touch screen now.  They used to just say yuk.

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

As someone who works (albeit secondarily) with graphic design I actually prefferred the old icons.  However, I also like classic, simple, looks.  To me, the new icons look more like Windows 7 versus Snow Leopard, as in they're trying to look modern and futuristic as opposed to actually being modern and futuristic.  Again, my humble opinion and I honestly don't care that much as to what the icons look like.

I thought it was odd that they changed the book loading page, so it now says "Opening your Book" as opposed to "Formatting," but again... NBD (no big deal).

As for the inner menu shaded buttons, that looks like an improvement, helps differentiate between the buttons better. 

Overall, the update helped the touchscreen out exponetially.  I just hope they continue to work on the physics a little bit, to make it a bit more natural.  My wife, who had only really messed around with a Nook in the store on the old software was shocked by the change in the responsiveness. 

Frequent Contributor
AmyK67
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Rhayes:  

Size of icon doesn't matter, but the transparency would matter.  The new ones may well be more transparent than the old.

Personally I just suspect they hired a graphic designer with more taste and elegance rather than the hacks posting here.  Designers are a lot like hair dressers.  New one comes to town and all the old ones noses point skyward.

The new ones simply look way more modern and elegant than those slabs.

Agreed, I think the new ones are classier looking. More sleek!

Contributor
jasonleb1
0 Kudos

If you hate the icons that much I've posted directions on how to get back to 1.1.1 here.

Frequent Contributor
LessPaul
0 Kudos

What puzzles me is not that people have a preference one way or another over the icons, but how strongly they feel about a feature that is turned off most of the time.

One of the things I use my Nook for is reading ebooks. After 30 seconds the icon screen goes black, and remains that way for hours.

30 Seconds of good/bad icons, 2 hours of black screen. 

Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

jasonleb1 wrote:

If you hate the icons that much I've posted directions on how to get back to 1.1.1 here.

I can't believe anyone will actually do that over their obsession of the old icons.  Go back to 1.1.1 because of that, AND lose all the fixes and improvements that 1.2 brings.  All I can say is, "bless [his or her] little heart," if they actually do that.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Yeah, that is just sad.  Apparently some people sit and stare at icons all day instead of reading.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

icebike wrote:

No No NO.  New icons are way more elegant.  I vote no.

I agree with icebike.  I said this elsewhere, the old icons looked like something from MS Windows 3.1.  Or from actually, MSDOS.  I can't remember the program, but I know I had something that used icons like that.

The other thing the old ones remind me of is a xylophone.

I like the new ones.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 1,228 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: