Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jasonleb1
0 Kudos

Re: GO BACK TO THE OLD ICONS! (1.2)

[QUOTE]I can't believe anyone will actually do that over their obsession of the old icons. Go back to 1.1.1 because of that, AND lose all the fixes and improvements that 1.2 brings. All I can say is, "bless [his or her] little heart," if they actually do that.[/QUOTE]

Well the icons aren't the only problem, at least for me, My Documents won't load no matter how many times I redownload and reload the documents, the shop is extremely slow now, I can't arrange my books by title, and my whole device was much slower (in page turning and formatting  etc). It was just a horrible "update", once again at least for me.

Inspired Contributor
thejadegreengirl
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

I agree with icebike.  I said this elsewhere, the old icons looked like something from MS Windows 3.1.  Or from actually, MSDOS.  I can't remember the program, but I know I had something that used icons like that.

The other thing the old ones remind me of is a xylophone.

I like the new ones.

Couldn't agree with you more.  I love the  new icons!

Waaah Waah Waah

thejadegreengirl
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

jasonleb1 wrote:

Well the icons aren't the only problem, at least for me, My Documents won't load no matter how many times I redownload and reload the documents, the shop is extremely slow now, I can't arrange my books by title, and my whole device was much slower (in page turning and formatting  etc). It was just a horrible "update", once again at least for me.

Then something is wrong with your nook.

Page turning is faster for every one.  Read all the rave reviews.

Sorting by title works.

If your store browsing is slow its because your internet connection is slow.  Get your wifi fixed or find a 3g area.

I'm not convinced your 1.2.0 upgrade ever worked at all,  Everything you mention is a symptom of 1.1.1, or even 1.0. 

I repeat:  If page turning is slow, your nook is hozed, because its very fast for everyone else.

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

jasonleb1 wrote:

Then something is wrong with your nook.

Page turning is faster for every one.  Read all the rave reviews.

Sorting by title works.

If your store browsing is slow its because your internet connection is slow.  Get your wifi fixed or find a 3g area.

I'm not convinced your 1.2.0 upgrade ever worked at all,  Everything you mention is a symptom of 1.1.1, or even 1.0. 

I repeat:  If page turning is slow, your nook is hozed, because its very fast for everyone else.

I agree. My Nook is working like it's in Hyper Drive. If fact I was pressing the page forward button 10 times like a machine gun and I watched it flip all 10 pages with almost no delay. Swiping is also just as fast.  

Contributor
jasonleb1
0 Kudos

Then something is wrong with your nook.Page turning is faster for every one. Read all the rave reviews. Sorting by title works. If your store browsing is slow its because your internet connection is slow. Get your wifi fixed or find a 3g area. I'm not convinced your 1.2.0 upgrade ever worked at all, Everything you mention is a symptom of 1.1.1, or even 1.0. I repeat: If page turning is slow, your nook is hozed, because its very fast for everyone else. 

**bleep**, I just got my nook 3 days ago and it's f*cked up?! 1.1.1 for me was great everything worked great for me and then I put in 1.2 and it just went to the crapper. What should I do I bought the extended warranty do I send it back, but that would really suck because I only get 1 claim per warranty bought or does this not take my 1 claim because it's a software problem? And there's nothing wrong with my WIFI my laptop, phone, etc. all work fast and fine.

Frequent Contributor
PsycheUtah
0 Kudos

**bleep**, I just got my nook 3 days ago and it's f*cked up?! 1.1.1 for me was great everything worked great for me and then I put in 1.2 and it just went to the crapper. What should I do I bought the extended warranty do I send it back, but that would really suck because I only get 1 claim per warranty bought or does this not take my 1 claim because it's a software problem? And there's nothing wrong with my WIFI my laptop, phone, etc. all work fast and fine.

This is probably something you've already done but did you try turning off the nook, and then turning it on again?  I had a small problem with my documents after the update that was similar to what it sounds like your problem is.  I turned it off and left it off for a few minutes, then cranked it back on and the problem was solved.  If you haven't done that it surely is worth a try. 

I'm sure if that doesn't fix it and it is a software problem (did you call support?) they'll get you taken care of without using the warranty, I think that's for more of a user caused hardware problem.

................................................................................................................................................

“Patience; n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.”
Contributor
jasonleb1
0 Kudos

I turned it off/on multiple times. And no I didn't call support because everyone said they were on hold for an hour and given nothing helpful. But I've downgraded back to 1.1.1 and now everything is quick and speedy (as far as I know it to be) again.

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

GBI47 wrote:

No one here is dismissing the work the devs have done on this update.  A GUI change was made and some of us do not like it.  We are saying so, as is our right and (one could argue) responsibility as Nook customers.

I know this message and other level-headed, constructive criticisms will continue to go ignored or met with ridicule in this thread, so I give up.  I've sent in my feedback to B&N about this issue and I urge others who agree with me to do the same.

As a side note, I'd like to apologize for stating my opinion on this board.  I guess I know better now than to have, much less state a preference for something over something else before consulting all of you fine people as to whether my preference was the correct one.

That's right GBI47, the world disagrees with you, so stomp off and sulk.

How can you possibly object to other people liking the new buttons?  

Why is their opinion worth less then yours.

You don't like them.

Others like them.

You pout.

???

Don't be a tard.  He isn't objecting to other people liking the new buttons and neither am I.  I'm happy you like them.   What I don't understand is why you and some others are vehemently opposed to letting us have the option to go back to what we did like when we do think the new ones are fugly as hell.

How can you possibly oppose some choice to let the user choose the version of their interface?

Choices are good.

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

Again, let me preface this by saying I don't really care that much, but...

I figured it out.  It isn't the buttons but the background that's throwing me off.  I don't especially love the slate grey that they chose, it looks too much like the settings button.  I liked the idea of using different colors to show you where you were in the menu, a flashy way of showing off the fact they had color, and the background just dulls it out.

However, I wonder if they went to the button GUI as a way to better pinpoint where people were pushing the screen.  Perhaps it was a cheap way to help the OS be a bit more responsive.

Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe
0 Kudos

No way, I like the new look much better.  

Don't Panic
Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

I cast my vote for the old icons and colors.  Maybe I'm just to old to accept change, but my nook looks weird to me now.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

sharno22 wrote:

Maybe I'm just to old to accept change, but my nook looks weird to me now.

My you have aged a lot in two months, haven't you. :smileywink:

Perhaps you are on a Change Budget, and after boldly accepting the change from a lifetime of reading books to reading nooks, you have exhausted your change quota for this year, and have no spare change left.

But changeing back now would entail yet another change, and would put you in a change deficit, which will surely collapse the universe as we know it. 

Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

Icebike,

Somehow your logic seems to describe my situation perfectly.  However, just thinking about the universe collapsing is giving me more grey hair, which makes me feel even older, which makes it even harder to accept change.  I think I'm getting sucked into a black hole here.

Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe
0 Kudos

sharno22 wrote:

Icebike,

Somehow your logic seems to describe my situation perfectly.  However, just thinking about the universe collapsing is giving me more grey hair, which makes me feel even older, which makes it even harder to accept change.  I think I'm getting sucked into a black hole here.

That won't happen until CERN gets their collider running full speed.  :smileywink:

Don't Panic
Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

Radecliffe,

That would really change things, wouldn't it???

Frequent Contributor
CandyNJ66
0 Kudos

Honestly, I find it totally MENTAL to complain about such a thing. Its as if some people been transformed into little children. I don't mean to offend anyone but it just seems insane to find fault with little things.

Be happy with your Nook

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 60 members 746 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: