Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Gift card issue...needs to be fixed!

So if you have a million people, all with gift card balances that average out to $1.25, that's 1.25MM in the bank earning interest.  Just sayin'. :smileyindifferent:

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

I suppose it supports their working capital, but I never was very good in accounting.
New User
wgbiii
0 Kudos

Customer support told me that once a card gets below $5 the balance is removed from the higher cards 1st.  Seems like if they can program a limit to the card they can program that amount to be $0!!!

Looks like an accounting gimmick to me as well.  To get rid of two cards on my account (so I could add two $100 cards) they said they would consoldiate them and mail me a new card with the $4.39 balance.  I guess BN hopes I lose them before I can get them put on my account as well.

Does BN ever reply to threads on the community?  I would like to know their "logic" for keeping the low balance cards rather using them up.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Maybe I'm naive, but I can easily see programming the accounting system to draw down the largest cards first -- simply on the basis that the largest card has the greatest likelihood of completing the transaction on its own.

That programming was probably in place before the Nook came out -- since regular purchases on-line could easily incorporate multiple books/items into one order which probably exceeds the value of any common gift card. Nooks, with their "every item is a discrete order", produce this situation of nickle&dime cuts on the gift card balance.

Baron Wulfraed
Wordsmith
tmr4

No, when the N1E came out BN took from the smaller card first. That is one reason some folks continue to complain about this. We know they can do it because that is how it used to be.
New User
TimothyH

I've had enough with the default credit card and all the other issues. Barnes and Noble can keep the $13 gift card balance on my account. I'm not doing business with BN any longer.

-Tim-

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

Contributor
Scoob
0 Kudos

Amen!!!

I just experienced the same issue.  Barnes & Noble limits you to three gift cards on your Nook Account, but when you purchase they deduct from the highest gift card balance first, thus leaving you with no choice but to pay out of pocket at some point, even though you have additional gift cards that could be applied.  I've emailed them asking them for their specific policy on this matter.  I think this is a way for them to obtain additional revenue.  Nice ploy from Barnes & Noble, but it will hurt them in the long run; after I use up their gift cards, I’ll purchase elsewhere (Amazon, iTunes) since I read these on an iPad anyways.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Dude. Stop. Just stop. 

State your problem once and be done.  Don't multi-post in every thread you can find.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 285 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: