Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
sherylamy
0 Kudos

HELP my nook will not unfreeze no matter what i do

it was dead last night, so i charged it. i found it this morning with it frozen on the starting up page.

so i tried holding the power button for 30 seconds. it wont turn off.

so i tried removing the batery and plugging it into the wall charger to reboot. nothing happened,

so i tried connecting it to my computer, its not responding.

so i called my local store. they told me to let the battery sit out for 20 minutes and repeat what i did above. nothing

so now ive been on hold with 1-800-the-book for twenty five minutes trying to get professional support.

ive had  my nook for a couple months with minimal problems. the only good sign right now i that the orange light comes on when i plug it in. please help. i dont purchase from b and n so i cant recover my hundreds of books. i use an ereader subscription website. and since i cant connect to my computer i cant drag and drop my files to my computers memory.

please help me unfreeze my nook with anything that wasnt listed above.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: HELP my nook will not unfreeze no matter what i do

@sherylamy,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

1. Unplug or eject the device from the USB or outlet

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should illuminate within 30-60 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED illuminates, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and begin charging.

5. If the yellow LED does not illuminate after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery. If you have a spare battery or another NOOK, insert the known good battery in the faulted NOOK and power on the device.  The device should boot up.  At this point you can re-insert the old battery and charge.

6. If it doesn't boot up, leave the battery removed from the device for at least 10-15 minutes.  This step basically allows the battery to “reset” then go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should illuminate within 30-60 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

9. If the yellow LED does not come on in 30-60 seconds and none of the above steps have resolved the issue, please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support.  Please let us know if you issue was resolved.

Please also make sure that you have the v1.4 update.

To verify you have the latest update, go to Settings from the Home menu and check to see that your Software version is 1.4.0.

Here is the download page for sideloading the update:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

If orange light comes on, just walk away for an hour, and calm down.

Reader 4
sherylamy
0 Kudos

yes thats what i did after calling my barnes and noble store. the thing is it wont even turn off. so im stuck at like the first step. i left the battery to sit for 20 minutes then left it to charge. i tried the whole take it out then plug it in without the battery. still nothing is working like 4 hours later. im going to the store with my receipt and getting it replaced if they cant fix it. although the lady who helped me said they have a more direct line with tech support. after i explained my issue she said it was likely a harddrive problem, and will most likely need to be replaced. so thanks for the help, but it really is broken (therefore i have a perfectly good reason to be upset thankyouverymuch)

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Look, your nook is OFF.

E-ink does not need any power at all to show an image on the screen.

Therefore, when the battery runs totally dry, whatever was on the screen stays there, like writing on a chalk board, it doesn't go away when the lights go out.

You nook is already off.  

You got caught in the Dread Dead Battery Trap.  There is nothing wrong with your nook.

The battery is just dead dead dead.  (This is a bug in this version of the software and I'm sure it will be fixed one of these days).

But you are on the right track.  Take the nook to B&N, and tell them the battery is really really dead.  They should just give you a new one.

If not here's what you need to do:

Ask to borrow the battery in one of the demo nooks.  DON'T shut off that demo nook, just take the battery out with it still running and plugged in.  Put your battery in the demo and let it charge.  (Again, without ever shutting it off).

Put the demo nook battery in your nook, and verify that it boots.  Go have a coffee in the Cafe, and read your nook for an hour.  This gives your battery time to charge in the demo nook.

Then swap your batteries back and you are good to go.

If they refuse to allow this, make a stink with the manager and demand a new nook right then and there.  

Again, this predicament is caused by two bugs in the new software version.  One allows the battery to drain way too far, the second won't let the nook boot on wall power alone.  

Since it can't charge if its not booted, you are in catch 22.  They owe you!!

Oh, and there is no HARDDDRIVE in a nook.  Print this out and take it with you.

Reader 4
sherylamy
0 Kudos

thanks, Re: HELP my nook will not unfreeze no matter what i do

thanks, all of my knowledge of nook is from those phone calls I made with the store. They said harddrive, not me lol. I'm clearly not tech savy with my nook. So I guess the moral of the story is to not let your nook battery die? Idk cuz I've let it die before. This is the first time it drained beyond return, and stopped working. Should I buy a new battery, or just frequently charge this one after going to the store and whatnot

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 749 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: