Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
williams52977
0 Kudos

Help! Is it possible to put Nook Books on a Kobo ereader?

I am not trying to do anything illegal. I bought Nookbooks to read on my Ipod touch, and I now have a Kobo ereader I just received as a gift.

I have been Googling this for HOURS and can not seem to find any reliable answers, all I can find is people trying to do the opposite. (load Kobo books onto Nook)

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: Help! Is it possible to put Nook Books on a Kobo ereader?

williams52977 wrote:

I am not trying to do anything illegal. I bought Nookbooks to read on my Ipod touch, and I now have a Kobo ereader I just received as a gift.

I have been Googling this for HOURS and can not seem to find any reliable answers, all I can find is people trying to do the opposite. (load Kobo books onto Nook)

No, at this time, you cannot put Nookbooks on any other reader because Adobe doesn't support the B&N DRM scheme.  Adobe keeps promising an update but we've yet to see it.   You can load Kobo books on the Nook, I do it all the time, but unfortunately, that doesn't help you.

Contributor
williams52977
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for the clear answer. Trying to figure out was making my head explode. lol

Frequent Contributor
geertm

bklvr896 wrote:

williams52977 wrote:

No, at this time, you cannot put Nookbooks on any other reader because Adobe doesn't support the B&N DRM scheme.  Adobe keeps promising an update but we've yet to see it.   You can load Kobo books on the Nook, I do it all the time, but unfortunately, that doesn't help you.

The Adobe software supporting the B&N DRM is already available. That is why there are already several software ePub readers that support the B&N DRM. But manufacturers  like Sony and Kobo have not yet released firmware updates for their e-reader devices, based on the new Adobe software (and perhaps they never will?).

ADE does not yet support the B&N DRM but you do not need ADE for books protected with the B&N DRM.

Contributor
williams52977
0 Kudos

The last answer just flew right over my head. I am not a techie at all....

I noticed in another posting that someone is saying they are reading Nookbooks on a Pandigital ereader. What makes that different than a Kobo, do you know?

Frequent Contributor
geertm

williams52977 wrote:

The last answer just flew right over my head. I am not a techie at all....

I noticed in another posting that someone is saying they are reading Nookbooks on a Pandigital ereader. What makes that different than a Kobo, do you know?

To simplify my previous reply.

Adobe software that supports the B&N DRM is available. But that software is not installed on the current Sony and Kobo ereaders, those ereaders use an older version of the Adobe software.

Manufacturers like Sony and Kobo have not made it possible yet for people to install the new Adobe software on their readers.

As for the Pandigital ereader. Pandigital has an agreement with B&N. The B&N ereader software is installed on the Pandigital ereader. (the B&N ereader software uses the Adobe software mentioned above that other manufacturers have not (yet) installed on their ereaders).

Contributor
williams52977
0 Kudos

Thank you so much. I totally understand all of that!

New User
bookwormbetsy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I hope they change this. I'd like to put some B&N books on my kobo

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

bookwormbetsy wrote:

I hope they change this. I'd like to put some B&N books on my kobo

That would be up to Kobo, you might contact them to find out if they have any plans to allow it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

To clarify, you can read kobo books on a nook, using Adobe Digital Editions, because kobo furnished their protection scheme to Adobe, and because B&N allows it. B&N has submitted their protection scheme to Adobe, so kobo, sony, and other readers that can use ADE can read B&N books. But, so far these other companies will not allow B&N books to be read on their devices. At this point, it is up to the other companies-B&N is trying to make this work.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
keriflur
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:
To clarify, you can read kobo books on a nook, using Adobe Digital Editions, because kobo furnished their protection scheme to Adobe, and because B&N allows it. B&N has submitted their protection scheme to Adobe, so kobo, sony, and other readers that can use ADE can read B&N books. But, so far these other companies will not allow B&N books to be read on their devices. At this point, it is up to the other companies-B&N is trying to make this work.

Kobo uses Adobe Adept DRM, they don't have their own DRM scheme, so there was nothing to provide to Adobe.  Same with Sony.

I don't think the other companies are saying "Let's block B&N."  I think it's more that the devices are already set up to deal with the Adept DRM, which is the standard (insofar as one can claim any kind of standard in DRM currently).  I'm not sure B&N is such an ebook powerhouse that it's worth the effort for these companies to add (and support) a separate DRM scheme in their software.

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My understanding was that those companies do have to support it, as Adobe now does. And, it was reported that they have specifically decided so far to block BN books and that adobe has the info they need. There was a report cited here somewhere about it. I may have had it wrong, of course, that they didn't provide their own info to Adobe, but B&N is more competition for them than you think. Sony and kobo both have a good line of offerings, but certainly do want people buying from them. It's been a great thing for them that nook owners can read their books.

The point still is that nooks can read their books, but that they can't as yet read nook books because they do not yet want to.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I also read where B&N provided the DRM information to Adobe, who incorporated into the last release of the reader software that is used on the devices.  IIRC, Sony didn't incorporate that portion when they updated the software.  Bottom line though, can't buy books at B&N and read them on any other device at this time (except for Pandigital, I think)

Another thing I've noticed.  I use Kobo coupons when I get them and when I find a book that I want that is available with the coupon, I generally check BN to see the price.  For the books I've looked at Kobo tends to be higher for non agency priced books that B&N.   One of the recent coupons, I think I checked 10-15 books on the list before I found one where the coupon was actually a good deal.

Sometimes Sony is higher because they add on a flat rate for sales tax on some of the books.

keriflur
0 Kudos

I've also found that for non-agency books Kobo is usually more expensive.  It's been a long time since I've checked Sony, but the books I did check many moons ago were significantly more expensive than B&N.

New User
Martha_Jane
0 Kudos

Use the conversion software called Calibre.  You can download it free and, no, it is not illegal.  Just put a nook book on my kobo just fine using it.

New User
ambiAT
0 Kudos

I did it two months ago for a book club book that was cheap on B&N, saved the download to my comp then put the file in my Kobo and read it

Trying to do it again now and it's saying it can, I'm really pissed about to get my money back if I can't read the book, I can't even read it on my Adobe digital on my computer saying I don't have rights

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

ambiAT wrote:

I did it two months ago for a book club book that was cheap on B&N, saved the download to my comp then put the file in my Kobo and read it

Trying to do it again now and it's saying it can, I'm really pissed about to get my money back if I can't read the book, I can't even read it on my Adobe digital on my computer saying I don't have rights

You can't read BN books on ADE nor on other readers at this time. B&N has provided its social DRM to Adobe, a while ago, but Adobe is just now incorporating it in ADE.  Supposedly they already incorporated it into the readers software on the devices but that Sony and Kobo chose not to install that option.

You can download Nook for PC to read it on your computer, or you can download the beta version of ADE, it is supposed to read it also.

New User
koboman
0 Kudos

I have a kobo and just bought a book from BN mainly because KOBO doesn't sell it. Now the KOBO says it's locked. This is another reason to add to the list of reasons why I never, EVER shop at Chapters/Indigo/Kobo if it can be helped.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

koboman wrote:

I have a kobo and just bought a book from BN mainly because KOBO doesn't sell it. Now the KOBO says it's locked. This is another reason to add to the list of reasons why I never, EVER shop at Chapters/Indigo/Kobo if it can be helped.

From what I understand, the ability to read the B&N DRM was added to the Adobe Reader software for the devices a while ago, but the other companies, (Kobo, Sony) chose not to activate in their readers.  

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 414 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: