Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
eclemente2000
0 Kudos

Help! My Nook touch is dead?

Hi, 
mi n2e only with 1 week and has got frozen in the middle of a book. It doesn't respond. Soft reset doesn't work. Battery was about 50%. 

I have disassembled it and try a lot of things, remove battery, connect to supply without battery... but the screen is in the same page of the book. There is no way to turn off screen. 
Now with the nook connected to supply the led indicator is off and my computer doesn't detect it. This morning I got the light turned red (charging perhaps???) In this situation when I pushed button to turn off, the red changed to green for 2-3 seconds and then turned red again. And my computer detected it. 
But now the light indicator is off again. 

This is a gift from a friend in Usa. I live in Spain, so there is no warranty and for this reason I've tried to repair myself. 

Any help, please? I'm desperate with it. I can't understand it fails in only 1 week.

Thanks.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Help! My Nook touch is dead?

eclemente2000 wrote:

Hi, 
mi n2e only with 1 week and has got frozen in the middle of a book. It doesn't respond. Soft reset doesn't work. Battery was about 50%. 

I have disassembled it and try a lot of things, remove battery, connect to supply without battery... but the screen is in the same page of the book. There is no way to turn off screen. 
Now with the nook connected to supply the led indicator is off and my computer doesn't detect it. This morning I got the light turned red (charging perhaps???) In this situation when I pushed button to turn off, the red changed to green for 2-3 seconds and then turned red again. And my computer detected it. 

This is a gift from a friend in Usa. I live in Spain, so there is no warranty and for this reason I've tried to repair myself. 

Any help, please? I'm desperate with it. I can't understand it fails in only 1 week.

Thanks.

A couple of points:

1) The NOOK Second Edition (N2E) does not have a removable battery, so if you are removing the battery you must have the First Edition (N1E).

2) The battery life experienced by N1E users is typically less than 1 week, so most likely all that occurred is your battery died.

3) Since the eInk screen on the N1E and N2E requires no power to display an image, what many people report as a frozen NOOK is really just a dead battery.

4) If your battery drains completely the charge light on your NOOK will not illuminate until it has been plugged in for approximately 15 minutes.

5) Once the charge light come on, it takes another 3 to 4 hours to charge completely.

So the correct course of action for you to take is plug your NOOK in and walk away for 3 hours. When you come back it should be working.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

eclemente2000 wrote:

Hi, 

Thanks.

Not sure that there is much help available for you.  But...

The screen will not change from the last image shown on it.  This is a characteristic of the e-ink technology:  You can write to it and do not have to keep it powered for it to show things.  The power savings of this technology is why it is used in most ereaders.

Let it charge until the light turns green.  It sounds like the battery was fully discharged and the Nook will not work in that condition.  After it turns green, unplug it for a while then plug it back in and let it charge more.  Then do a reset on it by holding the power button for 20 or more seconds.  

Good luck!

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

eclemente2000 wrote:

Hi, 

Thanks.

A couple of points:

1) The NOOK Second Edition (N2E) does not have a removable battery, so if you are removing the battery you must have the First Edition (N1E).

If the OP has a charging light that changes from Red to Green then it is not likely the N1E since AFAIK the N1E only has the Amber charging light.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@Nom-de-Nook,

The original post is full of contradictions.

If it has a removable battery it is not the NC or N2E.

If it has a charging light that changes color it is not the N1E.

So something is odd about the post.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

Please read the post, folks:  The OP diassembled and removed the battery; The charging light changed colors.  These two statements pretty much say what the OP did and saw, and they imply a N2E.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

So isn't the colors on the N2E charging light amber and green? He said red and green- so I don't think this is a N2E.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

They're amber and green on all the NOOK devices, including the NC.  However, there have been times when a user has plugged in his/her NC and gotten a red light.  It I remember right, it usually signalled an issue with teh charging circuitry or battery.  So it's likely that the e-ink devices can show a red light in the right circumstances as well.  It's possible that taking the device apart and removing the battery caused an additional issue (beyond the dead battery that was likely the problem in the first place).

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Well if he disassembled a one week old sealed N2E he has voided the warranty, so I hope it's only a dead battery.

New User
eclemente2000
0 Kudos

I'm in Spain, so the warranty has no effect here. I bought the nook from a friend who was to USA, so I assumed this risk. It is the N2E and I tried to repair it according to information about Nook, that is almost everything about N1E. I removed the black cover and could access to battery, that can be removed. If usual light is amber when charging, then sure there is a big problem and probably without solution, because light was red and now there is no light.

It's a pitty but if I had knew about this I would had bought the N1E or perhaps the kindle.

Thank you for your help.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

eclemente2000 wrote:

I'm in Spain, so the warranty has no effect here. I bought the nook from a friend who was to USA, so I assumed this risk. It is the N2E and I tried to repair it according to information about Nook, that is almost everything about N1E. I removed the black cover and could access to battery, that can be removed. If usual light is amber when charging, then sure there is a big problem and probably without solution, because light was red and now there is no light.

It's a pitty but if I had knew about this I would had bought the N1E or perhaps the kindle.

Thank you for your help.

This confirms what I understood you to post the first time.

Have you disconnected the battery from the Nook for a while - a couple of minutes would certainly do - while the Nook was unplugged from the charger?  I suggest this so that the Nook itself will completely shut down (Most modern electronics take a bit of time to completely exhaust all residual power.). 

While the Nook is unplugged, is the battery uncomfortably warm or hot?  This may indicate a problem with the charging or the battery.  You are using a charger rated for the voltage in Spain, right?  I'm assuming Spain is 220 volts instead of the 120 (ish) of the US.

Reattach the battery to the Nook and see what happens.

Plug the charger into the Nook.  I would not recommend having the charger plugged into the Nook without the battery installed.  (It might work, but it could be that the power circuitry expects the battery load to be present.)

If the battery is bad, I do not know where you will be able to find another.  (You might be able to create an external battery pod with a properly rated battery, but I have no clue on how to wire that together.)

New User
javaJF
0 Kudos

The nook 2nd edition or "all new Nook" which does not have a removable cover can be rebooted by holding down both the Home button on the front AND the Power button on the back for a few seconds.  This will unfreeze it and keep the data.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 660 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: