Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
coastergirl
0 Kudos

Help ! Uploading library books to my nook

Hi all!

I just got my first book from the library (squee!) and for some reason I couldn't see it in my library.

After discovering that I couldn't see .acsm docs on my nook - I changed the extension to an .epub.  I can read the .epub on Adobe Editions - yet my nook won't open the document. 

Any ideas??

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: Help ! Uploading library books to my nook

Connect your NOOK to yoru computer, open Adobe Digital Editions, and drag the book to you NOOK through ADE.

Contributor
coastergirl
0 Kudos

Thanks Athena - how do I register my nook thru ADE?

Contributor
coastergirl
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link!  it worked BEAUTIFULLY!!! YAY!!  Can't wait to start reading after dinner! 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

coastergirl wrote:

Hi all!

I just got my first book from the library (squee!) and for some reason I couldn't see it in my library.

After discovering that I couldn't see .acsm docs on my nook - I changed the extension to an .epub.  I can read the .epub on Adobe Editions - yet my nook won't open the document. 

Any ideas??

Just so you know, ascm files are not documents or books, they are files that contain the information need to go to a server to download the actual book and unlock it, so changing the extension won't help, as you found out.  Any time you get an acsm file you need to open it via ADE (Kobo tends to use acsm files).  You can double click on the acsm file and should open ADE and go get the book. 

New User
Bluegrassdog
0 Kudos

HELP!!

I have been reading the thread but cannot figure out what everyone is talking about.  I, too, downloaded an .acsm file from my library, which is apparently an .ePub file.  Then, after reading this site, I downloaded the Adobe reader.  A little "library" opens. I tried to drag the acsm file to that library, nothing happens. I tried to drag it to the B&N iReader, nothing happens; I tried to drag it directly to my connected Nook, can't find it anywhere.

Help! What do I need to do?

Frequent Contributor
BrookieNookie
0 Kudos

Try right clicking the file, and "open with" Adobe Digital Editions...hopefully that will make it work!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

The ".acsm" file is just a small file that has instructions for Adobe Digital Editions, telling it what server to talk to and what book to ask for. You need to have ADE open it in order to actually download the e-book.

The best thing to do is to set up your browser to always run ADE when you download an ACSM file. There's little point in saving that file to disk.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Bluegrassdog wrote:

HELP!!

I have been reading the thread but cannot figure out what everyone is talking about.  I, too, downloaded an .acsm file from my library, which is apparently an .ePub file.  Then, after reading this site, I downloaded the Adobe reader.  A little "library" opens. I tried to drag the acsm file to that library, nothing happens. I tried to drag it to the B&N iReader, nothing happens; I tried to drag it directly to my connected Nook, can't find it anywhere.

Help! What do I need to do?

Adobe reader is for reading PDF files. You need to install Adobe Digital Editions which is a

different program.

New User
Bluegrassdog
0 Kudos

Sorry, yes, that's what I have, the Digital Editions....

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Bluegrassdog wrote:

Sorry, yes, that's what I have, the Digital Editions....

Go to the two links in my signature, one about setting up and using ADE and the other about library books.  That should help you get started.

New User
Bluegrassdog

Thank you!!!  It worked! I'm happy!

New User
PamDrx

Thankyou I had to delete ADE and nook files - load them all back on.....now my public library books will open on my nook   TTFN  PD

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 533 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: