New User
JimBob58
0 Kudos

Help me please! First time battery charging.

[ Edited ]

At the store they told me to charge it for 24 hrs. before using it. The included start guide told me " You must fully charge your nook before using it the first time". Then ( my point of confusion ):

a) Press the power button on the top of your nook to turn it on.

b) Plug your nook into a wall outlet.

You can use your nook while it charges. The yellow, charging indicator light illuminates while charging. When the light turns off, your nook is fully charged. Typical charging time is approximately 3 1/2 hours by AC.

Now viewing the blogs it appears the batteries are delicate. Do I leave it alone for 24 hours? 3 1/2 hours? Till the light goes off? Or, am I ok to complete the set up and use it during the first charge? It turns on when I plug it in and I cannot turn it off.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Re: Help me please! First time battery charging.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Charge it till the light goes out and you are good to go.  About 3 hours.

I have no clue where the store got that 24 hours stuff.

Batteries can't be harmed by leaving it on the charger.

And yes, if its plugged into the way you can use it without fear of running out of power.  

If its off, and you plug it in,  It will turn on because it has to be on to charge.  When storing if for a week or more or getting on an airplane, you might turn if all the way off, but thats about the only time you ever need to turn the nook completely off.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

JimBob58 wrote:

Now viewing the blogs it appears the batteries are delicate.

The batteries are not delicate.  There were some defective batteries, but likely a very small percentage.

Many of the problems are related to the fact that the NOOK needs to be charged before using it the first time and it takes a couple cycles to get the battery-level sensing tuned up.

Just follow the excellent advice in the previous posts and you shouldn't have to worry about the battery.

Contributor
titiaML
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook for a little over a week. I have charged it several times with no problems, including the first one. And, yes, I've left it on charge all night and in the morning the light indicator is off, so it obviously stops charging when the battery is completely charged.

New User
MinAA
0 Kudos

I just got my Nook yesterday and immediately plugged it into the AC to charge. Left it overnight and this morning, the yellow indicator light was still on and when I checked the battery charge, it was only 89%.  Shouldn't it charge up to 100%?  Could someone please advise?  Could there be something wrong with the battery?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Read the thread you just posted on.

Just enjoy your nook.  Run the battery down till it warns you.

Then plug it in and it will fully charge.

New User
Juliusrjr
0 Kudos

I just bought my wife a nook and when I was taking it out of the package for the first time, I accidentally pressed the power button before charging it as per the instructions. Is this going to mess up the battery or anything?

I did immediately place the nook on the charger afterwards.

A3A
Inspired Scribe
A3A
0 Kudos

No harm done if the yellow light (on the bottom of the Nook) is on. Leave the Nook plugged in until the light turns green. Circa 3 - 4 hrs.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Juliusrjr wrote:

I just bought my wife a nook and when I was taking it out of the package for the first time, I accidentally pressed the power button before charging it as per the instructions. Is this going to mess up the battery or anything?

I did immediately place the nook on the charger afterwards.

No worries.  When I bought my Nook, I opened it up in the store, registered it & let it update to the latest software.  Then I shut it down, took it home and put it on charge.

New User
RedSB
0 Kudos

I just got a NOOK yesterday for my bday and I also read that it said to charge 3 hours before first using it. Then when I plugged it in it automatically came on. I went ahead and set it all up but then the light at the top the screen did not indicate it was charging. I looked under settings and for some reason it said the battery was 100% but the yellow charging light is still on. Does that mean it is still charging or is the battery full? I'm not sure.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Just let it charge for at least 3 hours.  There is a very small indicator light on the bottom of the unit which should be amber and eventually turn green while it is charging.  Do not worry about leaving it on the charger for more than three hours. 

Reader 2
Diece
0 Kudos

My nook color has been charging for almost 7 hours.  It's a brand new charger that I purchased today after my daughter broke the brand new one that came with it. The light on the charger is half amber and half green and has been that way for quite some time.  This is not the first charge.  It has been used for about a month.  Is this normal with the light? I bought it from a friend that got it for a gift and hated it so I wasn't sure.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

You are posting to a very stale thread in a forum for the original Nook, a significantly different reader model. The original Nook doesn't support the color graphics and interaction the color and tablet versions feature. Like the Simple Touch models, the First Edition has an eInk screen that's better suited for brightly lit environments and very conservative in power consumption (time to next battery charge may be shortened when WiFi and/or 3G wireless radios are left on). Power consumption differences probably result in different time until recharging is necessary and possibly a different battery with a different recharge time.

You might get more information in the Nook Color forums, accessible by clicking the "Browse Book Clubs" link towards the top of the page. When you "Browse Book Clubs" you will see a list of forums supporting the various reader models, software readers and various book genres

New User
drawlene
0 Kudos

This is really quite simple. When you read the guide it said it may take 24 hours for a complete charge but it depends on if you got it from a friend or you got it new. if you got it from a friend then it's going to take not long at all, but if you got it new from the store then it's not going to take a very long time such as 24 hours.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

drawlene wrote:

This is really quite simple. When you read the guide it said it may take 24 hours for a complete charge but it depends on if you got it from a friend or you got it new. if you got it from a friend then it's going to take not long at all, but if you got it new from the store then it's not going to take a very long time such as 24 hours.

You're repling to a post from summer of 2012.  I hope their NC is fully charged at this point :smileywink:

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:12 members 248 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: