Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
JeromyL
0 Kudos

Help...nook not charging... Amber light on, no plus sign on battery indicator

Ok, here is my problem, just purchased a brand new nook... Plugged it in for a little while... Nook booted, and the plus sign showed over battery, as well as the amber light coming on. 

Later, set up the nook, and ever since, when I plug it in, amber light comes on, but no charge, and no charge indicator over battery.  I have tried:  hard booting, battery pulling, different power states before turning on... Nothing works.  1st call to help desk, had the guy tell me to pull battery and then replace, turn on (had already done this like 5 times before), and then said..yep, light is on, it's charging..Let it sit for a few hours...    (exactly what I did last night)....  Anyone have similar problems?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Help...nook not charging... Amber light on, no plus sign on battery indicator

@JeromyL,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

1. Unplug the device if it is plugged in.

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED does come on, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and charge fully.

5. If the yellow LED does not come on after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery.

6. Leave the battery for 4 hours (overnight if possible).  This step basically allows the battery to “reset”

7. After the 4 hours, go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

Then confirm that you have v1.4 by going to Settings on your NOOK.  If not, 

NOOK v1.4 software is now available via manual download at www.nook.com/update

with additional information and easy-to-follow directions. NOOKs connected to Wi-Fi will receive an automatic NOOK v1.4 update upon syncing over the next week.

This update offers complimentary AT&T Wi-Fi Access and a Go To Page feature (one of the most frequent enhancements requested by NOOK users).

If this issue continues and there is a store near you a store rep can put a “good” battery in the device to get it to boot up.  After it’s booted, they can swap the battery with the defective battery.

Contributor
JeromyL
0 Kudos

Re: Help...nook not charging... Amber light on, no plus sign on battery indicator

Yep, tried everything except taking it back to the store.  the amber light does come on to indicate charging, but, no plus sign on the battery, and the actual charge level never increases, even overnight charging...(light also does not go out on it's own, only when I unplug it.)  I did see the charge indicator on the battery (little plus sign), the very first time I plugged it in, but that was it.  also, the level under settings does not increase ever, it only decreases thru use.  highest it was was at 87 percent when I first bought it yesterday, but never fully charged, and it will not even go back to 87 percent even though the charge light is on.  I will use it thru the weekend, and if it doesn't recharge, i'll take it back to B&N and exchange it... I still love the unit over my sony pocket, don't get me wrong...  and not everything can be perfect...

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

If you got it at a B&N or Best Buy, take it back now, don't wait for the weekend.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

I had the same issue recently when I bought a second nook for my hubby(early June). The power plug was faulty; it would charge with my usb and power plug, but not with the one that came with i. CS replaced the plug only (no usb cable), and it's fine now.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
JeromyL
0 Kudos

Took it back to B&N... they called tech support, and one of the things they did was swap the battery out with another one they had on return.  worked fine, charge indicator came on when plugged in... when they swapped back to old battery, charge indicator worked fine the first time, then after they removed the power cable, and plugged it back in, it would no longer work.  tech support told her that the usb cable was not plugged in right... "I was like WHAT" and the B&N girl had the same look on her face, because the obvious problem was with the battery, as we had already tried 4 different usb plugs with the same result before the battery swap... I was like, come on, I'm not computer illiterate here... she agreed to let me have the other battery that was going back to the factory anyway... LOL... no need to return the unit, as it is obviously a faulty battery, since it has worked perfectly now and is charging just fine... ( I even un plugged it and plugged it in 15 times to test it...)...  only thing I hate about tech support, is that they read from a script, and it frustrates tech savvy people... but I do understand that usually about 90% of the calls come from people who have no idea what they are doing. 

all in all, I still think that this is one hell of an awesome unit, and I would definately buy again.  you can't have perfect manufactoring every time... and as long as you stand by your product, I have no problem trying a second time to get it right :smileyhappy:

JT

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

JeromyL wrote:

I hate about tech support, is that they read from a script, and it frustrates tech savvy people... but I do understand that usually about 90% of the calls come from people who have no idea what they are doing. 

Which suggests that 90% of the time people have no defense against silly suggestions.

You have to wonder where some of these people come from when some random book seller in your B&N store has more analytical skills than their tech support people.

Contributor
JeromyL
0 Kudos

LOL, this is true :smileyhappy:

Reader 2
Chuck_Jacoby
0 Kudos

So, is your issue still resolved?  I ask because I bought my wife a Nook WiFi and had the exact same issue.  Being a computer tech for 14 years, I went through the normal things like using a different cable or different charging sources.  After I did a factory reset, it started charging again but after I reloaded everything, it stopped.  I took mine back to a store and they exchanged it for a new one.  Lo and behold, it was charging fine last night until I loaded three books on it and synced it with Adobe Digital Editions.  Now, this morning, amber light but not charging.  As crazy as it sounds, it seems like the authorization of Adobe Digital Editions is what is making it stop charging.  It was at this point on the previous unit that it stopped charging as well.  Were you using ADE with yours?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Authorizing with Adobe does nothing more than put a file on the nook.

I would power down all the way to off.  Then boot it back up again, and plug it into the wall and just wait.  See if that helps. 

Also, new nooks probably should re run down quite low, past the recharge warning, but maybe not to total exhaustion, and recharged fully. Over night.

It could be there is some weirdness in the wifi model.  Ours refused to charge past 85% the first time.  Light would stay on, but it never got any higher.  So we just used it till it was down to 5%, then recharged it fully and haven't had and more problems.

Contributor
JeromyL
0 Kudos

That is weird... yeah, officially, mine stopped charging once I authorized it with ADE, but I agree with icebike, the file system would have nothing to do with the charging on it.  mine has worked perfectly since the battery was swapped out...

New User
Bwii
0 Kudos

Re: Help..Nook not charging... Amber light on, no plus sign on battery indicator

This is also happening to me too! I just got my Nook 2 weeks ago and charged it once on the first day. Now I'm trying to get it charged fully for this upcoming weekend, but when I used the USB to wall plug in that came along with it, it says my nook does not have enough battery and I should check it in 15 minutes. First of all, the battery was about half full before I tried charging it. Second, it has been charging for over 2 hours and with a few different cords and nothing happens. I also synced it with Adobe Digital Editions after the first charge and before this charge attempt. When I plugged it into my computer the first time, when installing Adobe, it was recognized hardware on my laptop, but now it doesn't recognize it anymore. I called tech support and I will get a new charger in a few days, but I wonder, seeing all these posts, if that will do any good.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Help..Nook not charging... Amber light on, no plus sign on battery indicator

Bwii wrote:

This is also happening to me too! I just got my Nook 2 weeks ago and charged it once on the first day. Now I'm trying to get it charged fully for this upcoming weekend, but when I used the USB to wall plug in that came along with it, it says my nook does not have enough battery and I should check it in 15 minutes. First of all, the battery was about half full before I tried charging it. Second, it has been charging for over 2 hours and with a few different cords and nothing happens. I also synced it with Adobe Digital Editions after the first charge and before this charge attempt. When I plugged it into my computer the first time, when installing Adobe, it was recognized hardware on my laptop, but now it doesn't recognize it anymore. I called tech support and I will get a new charger in a few days, but I wonder, seeing all these posts, if that will do any good.

The thread that you're posting in is from last year, which means that all the previous posters have N1Es, not the N2E like you have.  So...

For the N2E, plug it in and let it charge for at least 3 full hours plugged into the wall with the cord and power plug that came with it, without unplugging it at all during that time.  Once it's done press the power button in the back to turn it on (you may need to hold it for a second or two).  If you still can't get it started, take it into a store and have them take a look at it.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 211 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: