Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
goosie2757
0 Kudos

Help w/ More in Store feature

I tried to use it today, but it doesnt work.  I shut down my unit and restarted it in range, logged into the store's wi-fi, but when i went to the shop button as instructed, there were no special offers and worst of all no cookie offer!  Can anyone out there help me to figure out what Im doing wrong?  thanks

Correspondent
Princess_V
0 Kudos

Re: Help w/ More in Store feature

goosie2757 wrote:

I tried to use it today, but it doesnt work.  I shut down my unit and restarted it in range, logged into the store's wi-fi, but when i went to the shop button as instructed, there were no special offers and worst of all no cookie offer!  Can anyone out there help me to figure out what Im doing wrong?  thanks

I had the same issue yesterday.  I'm curious, are you a B&N "card" member? I'm not & wonder if that's the issue.

Frequent Contributor
cummings66
0 Kudos

I'm not a member and got the Cookie Offer, so that's not it.  Might be your store.

Contributor
BratDet
0 Kudos

Silly question... but were you in a store WITH a cafe???? The cookies come from the cafe area...

I was in two different B&N's since I got it and both displayed the free cookie thing when I was in the store.

I ate diner at a restaurant right next door to a B&N and even though my device logged onto that BN store..online access

from next door

.it did not display the in-store features that I
 knew worked if I was inside the store since I was in it earlier in the day....

Bernadette

Correspondent
Princess_V
0 Kudos

BratDet wrote:

Silly question... but were you in a store WITH a cafe???? The cookies come from the cafe area...

I was in two different B&N's since I got it and both displayed the free cookie thing when I was in the store.

I ate diner at a restaurant right next door to a B&N and even though my device logged onto that BN store..online access

from next door

.it did not display the in-store features that I
 knew worked if I was inside the store since I was in it earlier in the day....

Bernadette

Yes, I was in a store w/a Cafe.  The store's demo displayed the "cookie" offer. My nook grabbed the B&N WiFi right away.  The first time I went to the "shop" section, the B&N's offer box was blank, but I could open it & see ebook, magazines & newspaper offers.  So, I put my nook to sleep.  The Special Offer Box then had the same display as the store demo (w/o the cookie offer).   In fact, I did a "stare & compare" between the store's demo & my own (went thru accessing the "Shop" on both units at the same time).  Everything was the same, except for the "cookie" offer.  I walked around the store.  I put the nook to sleep again & it came up blank again, but I could open it.  Since that the block was blank & didn't display the "cookie" offer, I thought it could be a "card" member issue.  It was as though certain "packets" of data didn't transmit to my Nook.   I wasn't bothered by the lack of "cookie" offer as much as intrigued by the issue.  I'll try another B&N later.

Thanks!

Reader 2
goosie2757
0 Kudos

I was in a store with a cafe, actually in the cafe :smileyhappy: I am wondering if my store isn't ready yet. I will try another location on Wednesday. It did welcome me to the B&N, but that was all.

Contributor
kim_001
0 Kudos

i just got back from my local barnes and noble, and sadly, my nook didnt display any in store offers. i tried turning it off and back on, but that didnt work. (and i know it was connected to the network, because it said "Welcome to the escondido barnes and noble!") i went to the customer service desk to see if they knew some secret way to get the offer to appear, but they didnt. the in store demo nook showed the special offers, but mine didnt. the only difference between my nook and theirs, is the software version- i have 1.1.1, and the in store nook has 1.1.0.  but the guy who helped me at customer service was very nice, and took the store nook over to the cafe with me so i could get my free cookie! :smileyhappy:  so i love the customer service people i dealt with in the store, but no in store special offers on my nook :smileysad:  i'll go back sometime next week and see if any show up, yet. maybe it's a software issue.

Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

kim_001 wrote:

i just got back from my local barnes and noble, and sadly, my nook didnt display any in store offers. i tried turning it off and back on, but that didnt work. (and i know it was connected to the network, because it said "Welcome to the escondido barnes and noble!") i went to the customer service desk to see if they knew some secret way to get the offer to appear, but they didnt. the in store demo nook showed the special offers, but mine didnt. the only difference between my nook and theirs, is the software version- i have 1.1.1, and the in store nook has 1.1.0.  but the guy who helped me at customer service was very nice, and took the store nook over to the cafe with me so i could get my free cookie! :smileyhappy:  so i love the customer service people i dealt with in the store, but no in store special offers on my nook :smileysad:  i'll go back sometime next week and see if any show up, yet. maybe it's a software issue.

I have tried now two different days to get my "more in store" offers to show up on my Nook.  The demo unit has it and the lady in my store assigned to nook customers called tech support and they said to make sure that 1.1.1 is the version on my Nook...which it is, so that is not the problem...Tried powering it off and then on again...inside the store, outside then coming in again...everything you can imagine.  The offers SHOULD show up.  Don't know what is wrong.

When I get a little money I buy books, if any is left, I buy food and clothes
Contributor
Dscholler
0 Kudos

I went into the local B&N Altamonte Springs, FL and connected to the B&N network and got no special offer, I was also looking for where we could read any book while in the store, all I saw was what I see from home that I can download a sample.

Frequent Contributor
-Onyx-
0 Kudos

This has been addressed in a couple other threads - the stores seem to be getting access to the "more in store" specials and offers in a staged approach. 

It would be nice if an admin would confirm this though... and point us towards any information on when all stores should have access and if there's any way to check when our respective stores will be set up.

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

I haven't been to any B&N stores since Monday, but I went to 3 the day after Christmas. Apparently, B&N wasn't prepared (WHAT?!) for the large volume of activity on the server and it crashed (and in case I'm not clear, I'm talking about nook activity as well as normal PC activity). I think they've been having problems intermittently with the wifi in stores. In 2 of the stores I was in, I approached CS and no one was able to answer my question. One store told me they'd get a manager and never did, and the other store said someone was aware of it but they didn't know the outcome (and, apparently, weren't interested in getting it for me).

I wasn't very impressed with the "more in store" feature -- there were a few freebies (nothing big) and the cookie offer. Everything else, however, was what you can find every day on the home page.

With all the other problems with the nook, B&N is probably a little overwhelmed that things aren't running as smoothly as promised - and their attention to the wifi "more in store" is probably the last thing on the TO DO list.

I love my nook, and I really hope B&N can fix the problems they're currently having.

Distinguished Correspondent
magictaco
0 Kudos

Well, I just went to my local Barnes & Noble here in Annapolis, Maryland.  I figured all this talk about not getting the offers was just user error.  So, all confident and ready to prove a point, I sauntered into my B&N and sure enough, a little thingy popped up saying "Welcome to Barnes & Noble Annapolis!".  I went straight to the store, and sure enough...  no special offers.  It had the five same "special offers" that I get when looking over the store while sitting on my toilet at home.

Aha, I said!  I can troubleshoot this.  So, I turned the device off (not asleep, fully off)...  waited about a minute, then powered it back up.  My stomach rumbling for my nookie cookie, I went back to the online store...  and still, no special offers.  No cookie.  :smileysad:

Now, as some on these forums might have noticed, I haven't had a bad word to say about B&N or the nook.  In fact, I've carried on a pro-nook crusade against the Amazonian evil-doers on this forum.

But man, I was a little disappointed about the in-store thing.  From all the folks who've had problems, I'm guessing it's the store's problem, and not the nook's.  Since it was New Year's Eve, the store was about an hour away from closing and the nook kiosk had already been shut down.  I couldn't check to see if their nooks had the offers.

Oh!  And I couldn't read any of the ebooks for free as was mentioned.  All I could do was either buy or download the free samples (that, again, I can do while in the comfort of my bathroom).  I ended up getting a coffee and checking out the free sample for Under the Dome.

I really hope this is something B&N can address.  Those freakin' cookies are HUGE and delicious looking.

~
Have a taco. I love you.
Frequent Contributor
-Onyx-

I just got off the phone with digital tech support - I was told that the "more in store" issues are not store specific, nor software specific, but a server issue.  He said that you can have two nooks with the same version of software in the same store and that one will get the "more in store" offers while the other will not.  He stated that the fix will be in place by the time the new update comes out.  And while they don't have a solid release date for the next update, it will be in the next month and he'd be surprised if it wasn't in the next couple weeks.

Also, he said this next update should fix the bookmark (bookmarks lost when the nook is powered off) and lend me (unable to lend out a book) features that haven't been working properly.

Frequent Contributor
Ivy_B
0 Kudos

I was in the Mohegan Lake, NY store today and nothing showed up on my nook either.  The young lady who patiently answered my questions, showed me how to find my dictionary, etc., called their in-store support # for me.  It seems that not all B&N's are actually ready to show these things on our nooks yet.  If anyone is in this area and needs help with your nook, look for Stephanie. She is a bright, patient and terrific young lady who more than made up for the nasty guys over at Danbury, CT the other day.  The staff at this B&N actually apologised to me for the rude way in which I was treated over at CT!

Contributor
JoDay
0 Kudos

Hasn't worked for me either!  I have been into the Silverdale, WA. store twice and asked the guy at the Nook info desk about it.  Unfortunately, he's the one guy in the store who has no idea about Nooks!  All of the salespeople know he doesn't know anything, but for some reason he ends up at the Nook desk....go figure.  So what do we do about the fact this feature isn't working?????

Contributor
twrdh
0 Kudos

The first time I went into the store in Greenville, SC with my nook, the More in Store worked fine (but there wasn't a free cookie offer). I did have several offers of free author interviews, a short story or two, etc. When I returned on New Years Day, I could not get it to come up. The only thing I got was the same offers I had at home. I decided not to try the customer service desk that day since it was busy and the people there weren't the ones known to be the most knowledgeable on the nook. We have a couple that are, but they weren't working.

I'll try again this week and see what happens.

Inspired Correspondent
lilio
0 Kudos

Finally got to my local BN yesterday.  Turned wifi on but nada.  Talked to the people at the service desk and found I had to turn airplane mode off in order to get wifi.  Worked!  Read a sample, bought the book which then did not download.  I found it had gone to my computer at home and was able to download it from there.  Lots of ads on the BN wifi but no cookie!  That was really ok since i have had too much Christmas junk anyway.

Frequent Contributor
cmehner
0 Kudos

I ran into a strange problem with the More in Store. I went to my local B&N and turned on the wifi, read some of Flatland, then went to the 'shop' on my nook. I saw the normal 4 dots (aka pages) of content on the bottom, the e-ink flashed, and then there were 6 dots but the actual content of the offer frame at the bottom of the page was blank. i went to the next page.. it was blank too! I went to the in-store nook, but it was working fine. the lady at CS asked me what was wrong, and then explained that i could click on the offer. When i did that, it showed the offer (10% off a CD) but when i backed out, the little offer blurb was blank. I got a coffee from the Starbuck's guy and finished a chapter of Flatland, decided to go back to the store and *poof*, it worked.

(note to the BN developers)

This [along with the 'daily' refresh problem] seems like a content refresh problem, perhaps you could add something like a refresh button on the menu (like in the library) the library refresh, i believe, just updates the database of books from online.

New User
Gadget_Fan
0 Kudos

I was in a B&N store yesterday. My Nook immediately connected, I saw the B&N logo at the top, and I saw the "More in Store" offers including the 10% CD offer. The problem I had was that when I tried to download the "Free" ebook content I kept getting the same error. I could see the list of books and articles available for free, and I could select each to see the summary. When I chose "buy for free" it would ask for confirmation that I wanted to buy, then it would say it was processing my request, only to eventually timeout and say "Network Not Available". Has anyone else had this issue? I was not able to download any of the free content.

Contributor
fafnir
0 Kudos

(@Gadgetfan)  

I have the same problem in multiple store locations and the demo nooks they have at both did the same thing.  Its broke and Barnes and Noble will fix it when they get around to it.  

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 324 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: