Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Help w/ More in Store feature

My experience in my main B&N store (Southpoint Mall in Durham, NC) has been fine. The in store offer was there as the first offer at the bottom of the page when I went to Shop.

When I was in twice in the first week of February and the offer was the same—10% off a CD. If I had been thinking about buying a CD, that would have been nice. (Especially if I was a member & could stack the discounts.)

The slight disappointment is that the cookie offer seems to have ended. It doesn't appear to be an instant "you have a new nook--have a free cookie proud new nook owner" type of offer. Darn.

Also, the free store downloadable content, while nice, I have since learn will change on a monthly basis and not more frequently. Still, not gonna look a gift horse, etc, etc...I got a free Dean Koontz story & an awesome cupcake recipe. If I was a romance reader (not usually) the heaps of free stuff from Harlequin would have been nice too.

Reader
PatC
0 Kudos

I have had the same network unavailable problem the last two weeks that I have been in my local store. The store nook does the same thing. More in the Store comes up, you can purchase the free  stuff and then when it goes to verify the purchase you get the network unavailble message. The people in the store are clueless about why or a solution but did suggest I try another store. Would love to hear this is fixed or how to get the feature.

Contributor
Lilygrrl
0 Kudos

PatC wrote:

I have had the same network unavailable problem the last two weeks that I have been in my local store. The store nook does the same thing. More in the Store comes up, you can purchase the free  stuff and then when it goes to verify the purchase you get the network unavailble message. The people in the store are clueless about why or a solution but did suggest I try another store. Would love to hear this is fixed or how to get the feature.

I went to my local store (Wilkes Barre, PA) yesterday and had the same "Network Unavailable" message when I tried to get a free book.  I went to the service desk and they told me that they must be experiencing issues with the wifi.  OK, but then why did I get a welcome to the store message and the B&N logo in the corner of my screen?  They told me to turn it off all the way and turn it back on.  I did and still nothing.  Oh well, so I sat down, had a coffee and read my nook.  I'll try it again in a couple of weeks.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I'm getting the same *network unavailable* message in my local BN in SI, NY. I was told by the sales person there that maybe their wifi was down. Nope, because I could purchase a book if I so chose.

Honestly I don't think BN has a handle on the instore feature, no one in the stores seem to know anything about the product.

I guess we'll just have to wait until the kinks are cleared out.

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

I see a common thread regarding the offers - especially the cookie offer. I'm wondering if anyone realizes that the offers have an expiration date. The cookie offer I received on my nook had an expiration date of January 6 (which must've meant midnight on January 5, because it was gone on January 6 when I actually had time to get to a store to use it). The 10% off CD offer had an expiration date of February  7. I've noticed that the coupon offers come out at the beginning of the month (meaning the last days before the new month and the first days of the current month) and are good for approximately a week.

The "More in Store" feature is not as I expected it to be - and it seems that many others are disappointed as well. I was under the impression from the marketing of the nook that there would be good offers on a regular basis. So far, I think "meh." It certainly doesn't make me love my nook less, but it would appear that B&N may not have been fully ready to release the product because it's not living up to the hype.

I also find it's a hit or miss with getting the wifi to work. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. And other times when it does, it takes a really long time to connect. Which is aggravating when you don't have a lot of time to hang around the store. I'm sure that it'll get better over the course of the year; we all just have to be patient.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 95 members 734 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: