Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Mugwhamp
0 Kudos

Re: Help with a Nook that will not turn on.....

Thank you!!!!  Thank you, over and over.  You helped where B&N failed.

And, c'mon, Barnes and Noble:  this shouldn't happen on a new Nook.  It shouldn't be a treasure hunt to find the answer -- especially as the problem seems so pervasive.  And have you noted how many people dreaded the support call to B&N?  I can't even try the local store, where actual help is non-existent.

New User
bewitched21
0 Kudos

It didn't work for me =(
Reader 4
SushiGeorge
0 Kudos

Thank you!!!

New User
Alexandria1948Library
0 Kudos

Worked for me!  Thanks!

New User
mbMHLS

Super helpful! Thought I needed a new device and now I am right back into my book where I left off - thanks!!
New User
gopmommy
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for sharing. It worked like a gem!!!!! Now I can get back to my Joyce Carol Oates new book!!!! I'm a happy camper thanks to you. Cheers - gopmommy
New User
mmraff
0 Kudos

sweet it worked! thanks so much!
Contributor
nookinventory
0 Kudos

Well, I replaced my battery and did the 10-second hold on the power switch and the U. Managed to install a new software update but I'm still not able to power up my Nook. An iPad or Kindle Fire is starting to look good for Fathers Day.
New User
czfaulkner
0 Kudos

It worked for me too! Many Thanks!!!
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

zoeygirlSR wrote:

After getting off the phone with Barnes and Noble I thought I would pass on some very helpful info. If your Nook will not turn on plug it into the charging unit. While it is plugged in at the exact same time hold in both the U and the power off button for 10 seconds. This should give it enough "juice" to power on. The tech was unsure as to why this happens at time, but this is an almost sure fire way of restarting your Nook. Hope you find this tip useful. I surly did!!! :smileyhappy:

Wrong Forum.  This information does not apply to the First Edition Nook.  It applies to the simple touch.

There is no U (N) button on the First Edition Nook.

Glad you were able to help all the other Simple Touch owners, but it still would be better to post in the proper forum, and I'm amazed no one called you on it for over a year.

New User
socorro12
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot! It worked.
New User
Cherie57
0 Kudos

Awesome, it worked!!! Thank you so much! B-)
New User
Storey2tell
0 Kudos

Nook HD Plus:  I opted to update the software tonight and it said it would restart once it was done.  Well, the screen flashed and it turned off and never came back on.  But, when I read this post....I plugged it in and held the "n" and power button for about 5-10 seconds and it came back on.  Thank you!

New User
jfj61
0 Kudos

my Nook HD will not restart... no matter what I try. I have a little green light on near the connector. I am thinking IPad mini now.
New User
HumanEMP
0 Kudos

My Nook HD will not turn on this way either.  I have an Apple iPad that did the same thing and was corrected by the same method.  I got my wife the Nook because of the issues with an iPad.  I guess its time to try Samsung Galaxy.

Reader
StephanieKeke
0 Kudos

Thank you SO very much. With the original Nook no longer receiving support, this was a true gem of assistance. It turned my Nook back on, and was in the middle of an update, which restarted and was able to complete. I think I would have had to discard my Nook, if it weren't for your post. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Very kind of you to take the time to post it.

New User
joanneuat
0 Kudos

Thanks it was a great help as my nook was acting up too - thanks sooo much.
New User
GaleaRain
0 Kudos

Thank you so much!!! I use my nook for my job and was freaking out when it would not turn on after taking it off my computer.. You saved me a lot of trouble and panic!
New User
Martha-A-Cheves
0 Kudos

This worked for me too.  Thank you so much.

New User
BlackDaggerChick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problem, but this solution does work and I'm having somewhat of a different experience.

My nook hd+ was just sitting on the desk next to me. I had used it one moment and when I picked it up to turn it on, it did nothing. I pushed the wake button, the power button. First tried plugging it in to my computer which did nothing. Then plugged it into the actually wall charger. The charge light turns green, then orange and I'm pretty sure when it shut off, it was over 70% charged. I'd only had it off the charger a short time.

So now it won't turn on and when I plug it in to the wall charger and then remove it, the charger sends out a high pitched frequency. While it's plugged in, I try to hold down the power button for a bit to turn it on, nothing happens what when I let go, the nook itself sends out a high pitch frequency until I press the power button.

The screen does illuminate to show me that it's plugged in, but nothing else....

HELP!!!!  I just got this for christmas this year.

edit: nvm....mine was dead and i didnt know it. it works now

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 476 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: