Reader
Montessori_Mom
0 Kudos

How To Turn Off the Nook Simple Touch?

Probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to turn mine off, and I don't know if there's a real problem.  I tried the button on the back, but it doesn't do anything different than put it in a sleep mode.  Which would be fine, but the battery completely dies after about 4 days if I don't touch it at all.   Is there a way to completely turn it off?   Sometimes I can't read it for a week or more, and I hate opening the cover to find out the battery's completely dead. 

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

Re: How To Turn Off the Nook Simple Touch?

Hold the button on the back down longer.  It will turn off.  It takes about 20 seconds or so;  I have not timed it exactly but it is longer than it takes to go to sleep.

Correspondent
Byteguy

The reason it's so hard to turn off (20 seconds feels like FOREVER) is because you don't NEED to turn it off.

The e-ink screen only draws power when it changes.  Is it NOT drawing any power when it's sitting there showing you a static image.

Don't believe me?  Look at this:

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/cracking-open-the-2011-barnes-noble-nook-e-book-reader-wi-fi/6243...

The screen still shows an image even after being completely removed from the rest of the unit.

B&N says to only turn off the unit if you are resetting it or are not going to use it for a couple of weeks.  Seriously.  Just put it down and let it go to screen saver (or force screen-saver by holding the "n" button down for 5 seconds).  It's liberating to know you aren't wasting the battery.

Oh, and make sure you turn off the wi-fi unless your actually using it.  That will suck your battery like Dracula on a 3-day bender.

New User
Cory_Gagliardi

Byteguy wrote:

Oh, and make sure you turn off the wi-fi unless your actually using it.  That will suck your battery like Dracula on a 3-day bender.

That is really disapointing.  Seeing that the Wifi is rarely actually needed, I would hope the software would be smart enough to only enable Wifi when you are trying to access the internet, or at the least whe it is not sleeping (similar to the way the iPhone works).  Has this been fixed in a later version?  If not, is there a pending feature request with B&N for this?

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:

The reason it's so hard to turn off (20 seconds feels like FOREVER) is because you don't NEED to turn it off.

The e-ink screen only draws power when it changes.  Is it NOT drawing any power when it's sitting there showing you a static image.

Don't believe me?  Look at this:

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/cracking-open-the-2011-barnes-noble-nook-e-book-reader-wi-fi/6243...

Just because the screen is not drawing power does not mean that the CPU is not running. I suspect that in sleep mode that the CPU is running in a low power state. Indeed it may take more power to shut down and start up  than running for a few days in sleep mode. However, to absolutely limit the only power loss to the natural run down of the battery you should shut down your Nook if it is not going to be used for more than four or five days.

Frequent Contributor
ceeotters
0 Kudos

I held the button for 30 seconds and it still doesn't turn off.  It doesn't seem to go to sleep either. It stays on screensaver.  Aren't you supposed to turn it off if you put in an sD card?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

ceeotters wrote:

I held the button for 30 seconds and it still doesn't turn off.  It doesn't seem to go to sleep either. It stays on screensaver.  Aren't you supposed to turn it off if you put in an sD card?

The screensaver is sleep mode.  Yes, you should turn it off to put in the SD card.  Sometimes you have to be patient, make sure you are firmly holding the button on the back of the device down and you should get a popup message asking if you want to turn it off.

Frequent Contributor
ceeotters
0 Kudos

Oh, I thought you could make it go dark.  And I held the button down, hard, for 50 seconds.  Nothing.

Frequent Contributor
ceeotters
0 Kudos

OK, my bad. :smileyembarrassed:I was pushing down from the top and not pushing in from the back.  I'm good.

New User
kman2ya
0 Kudos

i was just turning the page when it put brackets around the word, put the word in a speech bubble up top and froze itself. The menu button brought up the menu but would not go into the options. What I found worked was the hard shut off 20-30 sec hold down of the power button (cldn't press power off - wldnt work) then plugging it into my pc and this restarted the nook. (i had connected to my pc before the hard reset and was able to work with it normally even removing the erroring book but it still remained frozen once disconnected)

New User
kman2ya
0 Kudos

better again, 5 quick clicks on the power button then 20 sec hold reset.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:41 members 461 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: