Reply
New User
Clyde_Jarvis
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-12-2010
0 Kudos

How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

After reading a lot of, maybe most, of the suggestions on how to un-freeze a Nook, here's the summary of some of the things that have been listed. Be sure to try them in the right order:

1) Hold down the power button, count to twenty, try again.

2). Hold down the power button, count to ten, try again.

3) Take off the back, remove the battery.

4) But the battery back in, put the back back on and try again.

5) Take back off, the battery back out, plug into wall outlet.

6) Put the battery back in, but with little strips of business cards under it.

7). Take the battery out, plug the USB into your computer.

8). With it plugged into the computer, try it again.

9). Put the battery back in the Nook, plug it into the computer, and unplug the computer.

10) Jiggle the little thingie.

11). Take the battery out of the Nook, put it into your cell phone, and call 1-800-THE BOOK.

 

I believe that about sums it up.

Frequent Contributor
Cryogaijin
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎04-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

Funny since my nook "froze" for the first time last night.

 

What happened with mine is that it tanked the battery from 50% to 0%. . . while off. Might add a number to your list "charge battery for 2 hours."

New User
golfballmb
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

Un-freezing your nook should never be required.  I test software for a living and this is considered to be a critical problem that must be corrected ASAP.

 

I locked up my new nook 4 times in <12 hours.  Not very good in my openion.

 

 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
Posts: 2,466
Registered: ‎03-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

[ Edited ]

@Cryogaijin,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

Try these steps, one at a time to get your NOOK fully functioning again:

1. Unplug or eject the device from the USB or outlet

 

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

 

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery installed).  The yellow LED should illuminate within 30-60 seconds.

 

4. If the yellow LED illuminates, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and begin charging.

 

5. If the yellow LED does not illuminate after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery. If you have a spare battery or another NOOK, insert the known good battery in the faulted NOOK and power on the device.  The device should boot up.  At this point you can re-insert the old battery and charge. (If you don't have a spare battery, proceed to step 6) 

 

6. Remove the battery from the device for at least 15-30 minutes.  This step basically allows the battery to “reset”

 

7. After the 15-30 minutes, go ahead and re-insert the battery.

 

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should illuminate within 30-60 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

 

Once your NOOK is fully functioning, please verify you have the latest update by going to Settings from the Home menu and check to see that your Software version is 1.4.0.

 

If you don't have the latest update you can download it here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

 

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Frequent Contributor
Cryogaijin
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎04-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

What has me concerned is that the battery went from around 50% to nil while on sleepmode overnight.

 

Contributor
GerriPA
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎12-27-2009
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

This is a great list but what works??  My nook seems frozen on the sleep page.  I cannot turn it off and fear trying to take the cover off with it on.  I have attempted to re-charge it overnight.  When I unpluged it and tried again this morning, it is making a hummming sound!

Doug_Pardee
Posts: 5,504
Kudos: 3,957
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

GerriPA wrote:

My nook seems frozen on the sleep page.  I cannot turn it off and fear trying to take the cover off with it on.

 

It's already off. That's what "frozen" is: the NOOK has lost power. The E-Ink screen retains whatever was last put on it. This confuses a lot of people who expect the screen to go blank when there's no power.

 

 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
Posts: 2,466
Registered: ‎03-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

@GerriPA,

Were you able to get your NOOK up and running? 

If so, did you confirm that you have v1.3...?

 

If you are still having the same issue, please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support. 

 

Please let us know if you issue was resolved.

 

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
dianeg50
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎06-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

I have had my nook since the first shipment.  I haven't had any problems until about a month ago when it would occasionally freeze up.  Today it is CONSTANTLY freezing.  Turning it off and on works (although it takes forever).  Is there a more permanent fix?  Also, I have noticed the battery icon gets a '?' in it.  What is that about?

Doug_Pardee
Posts: 5,504
Kudos: 3,957
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

dianeg50 wrote:

Today it is CONSTANTLY freezing.  Turning it off and on works (although it takes forever).  Is there a more permanent fix?  Also, I have noticed the battery icon gets a '?' in it.  What is that about?

 

The two are undoubtedly connected. Freezing indicates the NOOK is losing power. The ? indicates that the battery level indicator isn't seeing any juice from the battery.

 

The likely reasons: your battery needs recharging, or it isn't making proper contact, or it's lost its ability to hold a charge.

 

Start with recharging. Just plug in your NOOK and leave it for a while. If the battery is really run down that far, it can take half an hour or more to get enough of a charge on it for the yellow "charging" light to come on.

 

If that's not it, your next step is to call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support.

 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
Posts: 4,434
Registered: ‎11-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

 

Clyde_Jarvis wrote:

After reading a lot of, maybe most, of the suggestions on how to un-freeze a Nook, here's the summary of some of the things that have been listed. Be sure to try them in the right order:

1) Hold down the power button, count to twenty, try again.

2). Hold down the power button, count to ten, try again.

3) Take off the back, remove the battery.

4) But the battery back in, put the back back on and try again.

5) Take back off, the battery back out, plug into wall outlet.

6) Put the battery back in, but with little strips of business cards under it.

7). Take the battery out, plug the USB into your computer.

8). With it plugged into the computer, try it again.

9). Put the battery back in the Nook, plug it into the computer, and unplug the computer.

10) Jiggle the little thingie.

11). Take the battery out of the Nook, put it into your cell phone, and call 1-800-THE BOOK.

 

I believe that about sums it up.

 

 

I'm sure this was tongue in cheek, but you aren't helping anyone.

 

 

Just do as Michael-V said.

Contributor
GerriPA
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎12-27-2009
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

No, it is still frozen.  I know that I do have 1.3.  I will make the call.  I am in the middle of a great book!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
Posts: 4,434
Registered: ‎11-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

[ Edited ]

To unfreeze a "frozen nook"

 

 

  1. Remove back (little tab by power cord)
  2. Remove battery 
  3. Plug into wall outlet with battery still OUT
  4. Nook reboots. Wait..... (it takes a little while) (*)
  5. After reboot, reinsert battery with nook still plugged in.
  6. Charge nook completely.



(*) if Step 4 fails to reboot your nook your charger is dead or your wall outlet is switched off.  Try your iphone charger or plug into your computer. 

 

If it still fails, you nook is officially DEAD, not frozen.

 

 

Don't invent any other steps.  Just do exactly as above.

 

Contributor
dianeg50
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎06-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

Maybe I need to call then, because the last two times it has frozen right after being fully re-charged.  Thanks for your response.  I love my nook, but this is getting to be annoying.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
Posts: 2,466
Registered: ‎03-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

@dianeg50,

Please let us know if your issue was resolved.

 

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
loriio
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

Thanks icebike.  The most helpful post on here.  I appreciate the help.

New User
xbinkus
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

My Nook has been doing this for the last week. Taking the battery out works, but it's starting to happen every day, including this morning after turning it off to take a quick shower... and the battery was fully charged both before and after I got it to turn on again.

New User
catlover451
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

Okay, after reading all of the posts in this discussion site I think I am convinced to just take this item back for a refund and move on to a Kindle.  I like the unit and the way it works, but this freezing issue is not acceptable.  Especially for the price charged.  All of you guys in administration need to get real and FIX the problem!!!  Take the back off!  Remove the battery!  Are you kidding me?  Do you do that to a new computer you just purchased?  Absolutely not!  You take it back.  Well I have done that twice now, gotten new units, had the updated software installed, and it is still freezing up.  I've had it and want my money back for the unit, all the books purchased and the case.

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

catlover451 wrote:

Okay, after reading all of the posts in this discussion site I think I am convinced to just take this item back for a refund and move on to a Kindle.  I like the unit and the way it works, but this freezing issue is not acceptable.  Especially for the price charged.  All of you guys in administration need to get real and FIX the problem!!!  Take the back off!  Remove the battery!  Are you kidding me?  Do you do that to a new computer you just purchased?  Absolutely not!  You take it back.  Well I have done that twice now, gotten new units, had the updated software installed, and it is still freezing up.  I've had it and want my money back for the unit, all the books purchased and the case.

 

Kindle owners have issues with freezing too.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
Posts: 4,434
Registered: ‎11-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

 

catlover451 wrote:

Okay, after reading all of the posts in this discussion site I think I am convinced to just take this item back for a refund and move on to a Kindle.  I like the unit and the way it works, but this freezing issue is not acceptable.  Especially for the price charged.  All of you guys in administration need to get real and FIX the problem!!!  Take the back off!  Remove the battery!  Are you kidding me?  Do you do that to a new computer you just purchased?  Absolutely not!  You take it back.  Well I have done that twice now, gotten new units, had the updated software installed, and it is still freezing up.  I've had it and want my money back for the unit, all the books purchased and the case.

 

 

If you have gotten new units twice (three units total?) and it is still freezing up

its time to look elsewhere for the problem.  Its probably not the nook.

 

Sorry.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
320
207
177
120
114
Users Online
Currently online:49 members 382 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: