Contributor
dianeg50
0 Kudos

Re: How To Un-Freeze Your Nook

I haven't had a problem with my nook in the last 24 hours, but yesterday I couldn't sign on to this site from my computer...if it's not one thing, it's another.  My son suggested charging my nook every day and seeing if that solves the problem.  Hopefully your tech people are working on a solution???  Thanks for checking back.  I'll keep you informed.

Reader 2
aserehtregerg
0 Kudos

Follow these directions to a T!!  They work!!! The battery removal is what worked for me! It may be tedious and annoying, but so much easier for you and for Barnes & Noble if you just at least try this before calling!!!!

Reader 2
aserehtregerg
0 Kudos

I also think I know what caused my issue! I over-charged it the night before it froze! I have had similar issues with other electronic devices. I learned recently that you can shorten a batteries life by overcharging it!! I feel stupid now and realize that I shouldn't have left it plugged in!! My advice is to make sure to unplug when the light goes off. Also, for people having issues with the battery removal technique, make sure that you actually use a wall outlet to charge for this process. Don't just plug it into a surge protector.

No technology is 100% perfect. It is inevitable that something may go awry! Don't get mad and just take it back to the store. That's foolish! Try the steps provided! They do work! Yes, they may be annoying and you feel that you shouldn't have to do anything! Get over it! It took me five minutes to get the screensaver off and its charging now!!! Other products have the same issues as well! It's a fact of life, nothing is perfect!!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You can not over-charge the nook.

It will automatically stop charging when the battery is full.

See poing number 7 under Hardware on the FAQ: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195

There is nothing wrong with using an outlet on a surge protector. 

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

An FYI,

most newer electronic devices (including the NOOK) can't be overcharged.  They have circuits that break when the battery is full (hence the NOOK's light turns off). 

Happy you fixed it!!!!!1

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
New User
RSHFL
0 Kudos

Big Help - Thank you!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@RSHFL,

You can leave the device plugged in, and it won’t ruin the battery. Allowing the battery to discharge and then fully charge from time to time will extend the overall length of the battery.  However, this won’t be noticed until after several charges.

The NOOK's battery is designed to restrict power once fully charged; this feature allows the user to leave the device charging unsupervised. The orange light indicator (located at the bottom of the device) will turn off when the NOOK is fully charged; also restricting the power source. 

With regards to setting "high and low battery levels"; our developers have provided these charging recommendations to maximize battery life.  *Partially discharge the battery rather than fully discharging it. For example, charge your NOOK when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns off itself. 

* Avoid high temperatures if possible for use and storage
*charge the battery half way before storing your NOOK for a week or 
more. 
*Turn your NOOK off for storage. If you are going to store your NOOK for
more that a week, turn it off. 

Also, NOOK v1.4 software is now available via manual download at www.nook.com/update

with additional information and easy-to-follow directions. NOOKs connected to Wi-Fi will receive an automatic NOOK v1.4 update upon syncing over the next week.

This update offers complimentary AT&T Wi-Fi Access and a Go To Page feature (one of the most frequent enhancements requested by NOOK users).

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
kenzie_clare
0 Kudos

My nook froze for the first time last night. Last night I tried a number of suggestions and it eventually worked again, then when I went to read it froze again! Since last night when I repeated what I did before the screen has been black and you can faintly see the book's words behind it. I've never had trouble with my nook and I love it. Does someone know what I can do it fix it?

New User
Mrcapps
0 Kudos

Our Nook was dropped and froze on the screen it was currently on. The yellow LED light would not illumnate. I tried various fix it instructions on various forums, including B&N forums, to no avail. Tried removing the battery and plugging the nook in to go through the booting process. Nothing. Tried various reset and rebooting instructions on various forums to no avail.

Here is what I did to restart the booting process which is a technique not mentioned on ANY forum. 1). Plug the nook in without the battery inserted 2.) Keep the power button pushed down continously 3.) As you keep the power button pressed, insert and remove the battery repeatedly for a few seconds at a time. After several removals and insertions of the battery, the nook rebooted and unfroze.

After every single fix it tip failed and I was about to purchase a new nook, the procedure above began the rebooting process, and it works like a charm now.

Contributor
VillagerTN
0 Kudos

I went to the B&N site to download the latest software version on my supposedly brand new NOOK which had version 1.0.0 on it.  Instead of version 1.4.0 as you mentioned, all I could find was version 1.0.1.  After downloading, I could not open it - error message invalid or corrupted.  Now what????  Freezing up, old software help!!!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

VillagerTN wrote:

I went to the B&N site to download the latest software version on my supposedly brand new NOOK which had version 1.0.0 on it.  Instead of version 1.4.0 as you mentioned, all I could find was version 1.0.1.  

Your brand new NOOK is not the brand new NOOK Michael-V gave instructions regarding.  His post is from June 2010, approximately one year before your NOOK was released.  His instructions absolutely do not relate to a device which didn't exist.

The current software version for your brand new NOOK is 1.0.1.  Additionally you don't want to open the zip file you download.  Just drag and drop that file directly onto the root of your NOOK.

Instructions here.

Quoting:

Manual Download Instructions

1. From your computer, click here for the software update file. Select Save and select Desktop as the location. Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way. Do NOT open the *.ZIP file.

2. Tap Settings on your NOOK's Quick Nav Bar, then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOK battery charge is at 20% or more.

3. Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOK. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a "USB Mode" message on your NOOK screen.

4. From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded *.ZIP file onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. Do NOT open or unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to any other existing folder.

5. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK drive after the file transfer is complete.

6. Your NOOK will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes or when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.

7. Please do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.

8. Once the installation is completed, your NOOK will automatically restart.

9. The software has been successfully updated; tap on the small "n" that appears in the status bar for additional information.

Your NOOK must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software is installed, your NOOK will reboot itself back to the Home screen or the last screen you were on. To verify you have the latest update, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOK and check to see that your software version is 1.0.1.

New User
Maruja
0 Kudos

My nook also got frozen. Couldn't turn it off and it was not recognized when I plugged it  to the computer.

I tried everything and nothing worked.

I even tried to remove the cover in order to remove the battery and, at least, turn nook off, but I could not remove it.

Finally I tried plugging it to the computer and, while plugged, holding the power button for a minute or so. It worked! Nook responded and indicated battery needs to be charged. Once it recharged completely, I have not had no more problems.

New User
hanna2213
0 Kudos

Hi. My nook froze while reading, and it wont turn off. I tried all the steps you mentioned but its still frozen! Please help!

New User
Maruja
0 Kudos

It happened to me again twice. I think it's a power management thing because it was fully charged but when I fixed it, it happens to be with no charge at all.

Once I fixed it as I told in my post: The second time, as I figured it was a charging problem, I plugged it to the wall to have more energy delivered and old the power button. It worked just fine.

New User
Jazz536
0 Kudos

how do i take the battery out? i have the black and white original nook and it keeps freezing up on me and it wont turn off and i don't know where the battery is to take it out

New User
divinemrsd
0 Kudos

Ok. Did all your seemingly failproof steps. My Nook has no battery in it, won't turn off (even after 2 minutes of pressing the power button. It is still alive after 5 hours with NO BATTERY IN IT. Now my electrical engineer hubby says something about some inner conductor or circuit that is charged that keeps it alive. Really now. The Nook is just sitting there and I am pretty sick of Jules Vernes face just hanging out. So what now, oh Nook Guru? Is it dead. I have used the darn thing about 7 times, and this is why.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Wow.  

I don't think you're going to get much help if that's the tone in which you ask for it.

(For the record, my answer is to call Customer Service at this point.)

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

[ Edited ]

divinemrsd wrote:

Ok. Did all your seemingly failproof steps. My Nook has no battery in it, won't turn off (even after 2 minutes of pressing the power button. It is still alive after 5 hours with NO BATTERY IN IT.

E-Ink displays do not use power to display an image, just to change it (think etch-a-sketch)

Now my electrical engineer hubby says something about some inner conductor or circuit that is charged that keeps it alive. Really now. The Nook is just sitting there and I am pretty sick of Jules Vernes face just hanging out. So what now, oh Nook Guru? Is it dead. I have used the darn thing about 7 times, and this is why.

You probably just had a dead battery all along.

My recomendation: put the battery back in, plug it into the wall charger, and walk away for 4 hours.

New User
Roselinia
0 Kudos

Mine did the same thing. I do not know what it is from, but I have learned that if you plug in your NOOK and dlet it charge it should come back. The first time mine did it, it took a while to come back on. When it happened a second time it came back on in a few minutes. Hope this was helpful! :smileywink:
New User
Crimson_Lace
0 Kudos

I still can't unfreeze my nook, I think it finally gave up on me

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:9 members 286 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: