Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

How and what can/do I transfer to the SD Card?

To begin with I'm now computer savvy.  I'm using Windows XP.  I have 814 books on my nook through adobe digital editions (Drive E:smileyhappy:.  I would like to put these books (pdfs and epub) onto the SD Card (Drive L:smileyhappy:.  What folders can/should I transfer to the SD Card?  Do I transfer the adobe.digital editions folder and its contents to the SD Card?  Also do I just transfer the books contained in mylibrary to the SD Card or do I transfer that whole folder?  I'm assuming I do all the transferring through "My Computer" and/or "My Folders" and not transferring through Digital Editions.  Thanks!!!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: How and what can/do I transfer to the SD Card?

[ Edited ]

If you aren't loading library e-books on there, just go ahead and move your e-books onto the SD card. No folders required. (You're welcome to create and use folders on the SD card, but the current NOOK software ignores the folder structure and presents all of the e-books in a single list.)

Library books need to be installed with ADE, and if you want those on your SD card you'll need to copy over both '.adobe-digital-editions' and 'Digital Editions' folders. You might want to name your SD card something recognizable for when you've got ADE up. If you name it "nook", you'll have two devices with the same name in ADE and you won't know which is which. :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

Thanks for answering my question.  My next stupid question is:  Where do I go to give the SD Card a Name?  Thanks.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

MaleficentIL wrote:

Where do I go to give the SD Card a Name?

Plug in your NOOK and when the SD drive becomes visible in Windows Explorer you'll see its current name. Right-click and choose "rename".

Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

When I moved a bunch of books from the Nook drive to the microSD card, they ended up showing up twice in the book directory. Very annoying. I ended up resetting the device and from then on keeping my B&N books on the Nook drive and my  non B&N books on the microSD.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Technologirl wrote:

When I moved a bunch of books from the Nook drive to the microSD card, they ended up showing up twice in the book directory. Very annoying. I ended up resetting the device and from then on keeping my B&N books on the Nook drive and my  non B&N books on the microSD.

Whenever you drag and drop files from one drive to another (as oppose to between folders on the same drive), your computer will copy the files instead of moving them.  You can cut and paste files to move them.  Or if you right-click while dragging (in Windows), then it will ask you if you want to move or copy.

New User
chrissy13
0 Kudos

This is a question I have a nook color and I do not know how to transfer my books to my sd card... I presently have 87 books on my nook and need more help I am very lost. I see that the sd card is visible but how can I transfer the book their..Help again

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

B&N content goes on the internal storage of the NOOK. This content is synced with your account at B&N.

The SD card can hold side-loaded content such as books from other publishers, images for screen savers and wallpaper, audio files (if your model supports audio), etc.

When you copy B&N content from the internal storage to the SD card it will show up twice because even if you move it from the internal storage, the NOOK still lists it as being in your B&N library and on your SD card.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That inflexibility about where content bought from B&N is stored is one of the things that make me wonder WTH the Nook development team is/was thinking. I've got much more space in SD card than in my reader's built in storage, but the only way to put content on the SD card is through sideloading with the USB cable attached to a computer. That restriction would be particularly burdensome on Nook owners that buy a lot of content from B&N.

Another "feature" that make me doubt the development team is the shelves that merely divide the list of books into sections instead of  collapsing into a collapsed list of shelves with a single shelf expanded to list the individual books. Wake up people, Microsoft has been doing that on computers for nearly thirty years (CP/M for a while before that).

Add the MP3 player on the 1E that combines all tracks into a single list with no way to sort by album or artist and no support for shorter user generated play lists.

More towards this particular topic: Perhaps the B&N content could be downloaded to Nook for PC (or Mac), Archived using the interface on the portable reader and subsequently sideloaded onto the SD card from the copies on the computer hard drive. This might require a little reseach on B&N's web site with the computer to determine which books are connected with which cryptic ISBN number file name. If you don't have a spreadsheet for a database like Excel or OpenOffice Calc to track the numbers there are at least two available through the cloud (through Hotmail and Google Docs)

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 301 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: