Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
paige1014
0 Kudos

How can I unregister my nook and register it to another account?

Here is the deal - my sister & I both read the same books and have the same book tastes. We used to be able to get together every few months and we could drag & drop our books to the other one's nook with both hooked up the computer. She has since gotten the nook color and we are having problems making this work. She has also moved further away so now we only get to visit a couple times a year. We discussed this weekend that maybe I should un-register my nook and re-register it under her account. She reads books a lot faster than I do which is why I would add to her account instead of the other way around. If I were to do this would I lose all my books that are on my nook now or how could I prevent this? We aren't concerned with one of us having the other one's credit card info as we do share and take turns buying books and using gift cards.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

Re: How can I unregister my nook and register it to another account?

paige1014 wrote:

Here is the deal - my sister & I both read the same books and have the same book tastes. We used to be able to get together every few months and we could drag & drop our books to the other one's nook with both hooked up the computer. She has since gotten the nook color and we are having problems making this work. She has also moved further away so now we only get to visit a couple times a year. We discussed this weekend that maybe I should un-register my nook and re-register it under her account. She reads books a lot faster than I do which is why I would add to her account instead of the other way around. If I were to do this would I lose all my books that are on my nook now or how could I prevent this? We aren't concerned with one of us having the other one's credit card info as we do share and take turns buying books and using gift cards.

First an answer and then a suggestion:

Answer:

Simply select the option to de-register your NOOK from the NOOK settings screen.

You will then be able to register it to your sister's account.

However you will lose all the books from your account when you do this.

You could back all your books up first and then side-load them to the NOOK after re-registering it.

Suggestion:

Download the B&N PC client and register it to your sister's account.

You will then be able to download books that she has purchased and side-load them to your NOOK.

She can register the PC client on her computer to your account to get access to your purchased books.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

First an answer and then a suggestion:

Answer:

However you will lose all the books from your account when you do this.

Suggestion:

Download the B&N PC client and register it to your sister's account.

You will then be able to download books that she has purchased and side-load them to your NOOK.

She can register the PC client on her computer to your account to get access to your purchased books.

You will not actually loose the books by unregistering the device. The nook will just not be able to download from the old account while it is registered to the new account.

Your suggestion however is the best solution. I have done something similar for our two nook household because I was having problems with sync to last page read.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@gstone,

I think you are basing this on outdated information.

In early versions of the N1E software (prior to 1.5 I believe) unregistering your NOOK did not delete old B&N content from the device.

In later releases of the software they "fixed" this discrepancy and now when you unregister a NOOK the B&N content is removed from it.

Side-loaded content is unaffected.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

E-book files are very small (usually less than 1 MB). You can just e-mail them to each other.  You do not have to meet each other in person to swap books.

Sideloading to the NC should work fine. What problem are you having sideloading books to the NC?

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

@gstone,

In early versions of the N1E software (prior to 1.5 I believe) unregistering your NOOK did not delete old B&N content from the device.

In later releases of the software they "fixed" this discrepancy and now when you unregister a NOOK the B&N content is removed from it.

We are talking two different things here.

Un-registering the device only removes the books from the device. Your original post indicated it removed them from the account.

I still have my original account. There are no devices registered to it now. I created two additional accounts for our nooks. Those accounts do not have credit cards associated with them or any books.

I make all of our purchases on the original account then sideload the books to each device.

Unregistering the N2E also removes sideloaded content  on the internal memory card. I don't own a Nook Color and don't know if the same happens with that device.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

@gstone,

We are talking two different things here.

Un-registering the device only removes the books from the device. Your original post indicated it removed them from the account.

I still have my original account. There are no devices registered to it now. I created two additional accounts for our nooks. Those accounts do not have credit cards associated with them or any books.

I make all of our purchases on the original account then sideload the books to each device.

Unregistering the N2E also removes sideloaded content  on the internal memory card. I don't own a Nook Color and don't know if the same happens with that device.

LOL, yes we were talking about two completely different things.

I was not aware that unregistering removed side-loaded content from the internal storage, I keep all my side-loaded content on an external SD card. That's god information to know, thanks.

Reader 4
paige1014
0 Kudos

So I can leave my nook registered to myself as it is but download the PC app and register that to my sister's account and I can sideload her books to my nook that way? Do I have this right?

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

paige1014 wrote:

So I can leave my nook registered to myself as it is but download the PC app and register that to my sister's account and I can sideload her books to my nook that way? Do I have this right?

Yep :smileyhappy:

There are a couple of factors to take into consideration though;

(1.) Nook for PC will attempt to sync to last page read when the nook is connected. The next time your sister opens the book she may find herself on whatever page you were on or visa versa. To avoid this I do not use Nook for PC itself to sideload the books.

While I use Nook for PC to download my ebooks,  I copy the ebooks directly from the folder Documents\My Barnes & Noble eBooks on my computer to the nook.

(2.) On the N1E and I suspect the Nook Color, the books have to be in the My Files\Books folder for them to display in the All Files and Books filter. Nook for PC is a variant of ADE and copies the ebooks to the Digital Editions folder. On the N1E, ebooks in the Digital Editions folder display only under the My Files filter.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

paige1014 wrote:

You don't mention the specific problems, but you can email the books to each other also.  Just download all your books to your PC, which you should be doing anyway.  The easiest way is to install Nook for PC to download the books.

New User
Mitch68
0 Kudos

I just unregistered my Nook Original in about 5 seconds. Go to Settings>Device>Edit your profile. You will get the little panel with Owner Name and Device name filled it. The cursor will be in Owner name. In the keyboard below, hit Clear, that clears the name, then the down arrow and Clear again. That clears both text boxes. Hit Submit and your done. The Nook is now unregistered.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 1,096 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: