Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Contributor
ShelleySargent
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-23-2010
0 Kudos

How do I lend and borrow a book?

I have lots of books to lend and someone who wants to lend me one how do I retrieve the one they are lending and how do I lend to others?

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How do I lend and borrow a book?

 


ShelleySargent wrote:

I have lots of books to lend and someone who wants to lend me one how do I retrieve the one they are lending and how do I lend to others?


 

 

RTFM *

 

* Read the Fine Manual! :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
Posts: 1,949
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How do I lend and borrow a book?

 


ABthree wrote:

 


ShelleySargent wrote:

I have lots of books to lend and someone who wants to lend me one how do I retrieve the one they are lending and how do I lend to others?


 

 

RTFM *

 

* Read the Fine Manual! :smileyhappy:


 

I'm glad you clarified what the "F" stood for.  I thought it was something else.  :smileyvery-happy:

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How do I lend and borrow a book?

 


Josienjoe wrote:

 

 

I'm glad you clarified what the "F" stood for.  I thought it was something else.  :smileyvery-happy:

 


 

But of course:  this is a family show! :smileywink:

 

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
Michael-V
Posts: 2,466
Registered: ‎03-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How do I lend and borrow a book?

@ShelleySargent,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

 

Lending offers on a wide selection of eBooks can be sent from the NOOK to any email address. A lending offer, which shows up in the daily on the recipient's NOOK or their email account if they do not own a NOOK, is available for 7 days and can be accepted or declined on a NOOK or online. All lendable titles can be lent once for 14 days. Once a lending offer is submitted, it cannot be retracted.

If you are expecting to receive a lent book or a lend offer, and you don't see it in your NOOK, go to My Library and tap Check for New B&N Content.

 

With our new LendMe™ technology, you can lend many of your eBooks one time for a maximum of 14 days. In your NOOK's library, select an eBook and tap Lend. Then you either select a friend you have already defined on your NOOK, or create a new contact. You can also enter a personal message. Once done, tap Submit and then Confirm to have your lend offer emailed to your friend.

Contacts is the place where you keep the names and e-mail addresses of people to whom you'd like to lend books. To access your list of contacts, press Settings --> Contacts.

 

You can get more information by click on our FAQ and Support page link below and clicking on Getting Started:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195

 

Also, here is the LendMe eBooks page from the B&N site:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/category.asp?PID=32720&bnit=H&cds2Pid=29168&linkid=1570674

 

I hope this helps.

 

 

 

 

Contributor
Alysson
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎02-21-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How do I lend and borrow a book?

I LOVE the idea of lending books through Nook.  Even used it as a selling poing when I convinced 5 different people at work to buy one.  However, I did run into a couple of things I was unhappy with in practice.

 

1.  14 days is not long enough for people who work and have children!  I understand the need to put a cutoff on the time, but the timeframe is the same whether the book is 80 pages or 1500 pages.  Even the library lets you borrow an e-book for 21 days.  I lent my friend "The Help" (a GREAT book) and she read it at home, during her lunch break and at her son's baseball game, but still only got 3/4 of the way through duringthe 14 days.  Then the book expired.  Now she either has to live with reading only most of the book or buy her own copy.

 

My same friend wanted to borrow my set of Sookie Stackhouse books.  Someone is supposed to be able to read 8 books in 2 weeks?  Really?  At least let us lend them out individually.

 

2.  Once you lend a book, it can never be lent again.  Ever.

New User
teach3st
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: How do I lend and borrow a book?

I agree with you totally on both of your points.  14 days is a very short amount of time to read a book, especially if you are not on vacation and have to work and deal with every day family events.  Secondly I feel that if I have paid full price for the rights to my book, I should be able to lend it out as many times as I want just like if I had purchased a hard copy of the book and wanted to give that one out.   Just becuase it is in digital format does not mean we have not purchased the book.  If you are going to charge the same amount for a book as a hard copy then we should have the same rights to lend these out and use them just like a hard copy.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,818
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: How do I lend and borrow a book?


teach3st wrote:

I agree with you totally on both of your points.  14 days is a very short amount of time to read a book, especially if you are not on vacation and have to work and deal with every day family events.  Secondly I feel that if I have paid full price for the rights to my book, I should be able to lend it out as many times as I want just like if I had purchased a hard copy of the book and wanted to give that one out.   Just becuase it is in digital format does not mean we have not purchased the book.  If you are going to charge the same amount for a book as a hard copy then we should have the same rights to lend these out and use them just like a hard copy.


The ability to lend or not lend a book and the lending period is set by the publishers, not the seller.  A while back, when Amazon started the lend me program, the 6 major publishers pulled the majority of their books from the lend me program, so the number has been decreased drastically.

 

But again, if you want your message heard, you need to send it to the publishers, B&N has no control over it, except for the Pub-it books.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
Posts: 524
Registered: ‎10-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How do I lend and borrow a book?


teach3st wrote:

I agree with you totally on both of your points.  14 days is a very short amount of time to read a book, especially if you are not on vacation and have to work and deal with every day family events.  Secondly I feel that if I have paid full price for the rights to my book, I should be able to lend it out as many times as I want just like if I had purchased a hard copy of the book and wanted to give that one out.   Just becuase it is in digital format does not mean we have not purchased the book.  If you are going to charge the same amount for a book as a hard copy then we should have the same rights to lend these out and use them just like a hard copy.


This might be of interest to you: http://www.ebookanoid.com/2011/01/08/do-you-actually-own-the-ebooks-you-buy-on-line/

 

LisaB

New User
samanthaandnathan
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-02-2012
0 Kudos

Re: How do I lend and borrow a book?

Don't you think that's a short aomunt of time for one to complete an entire book?! some of us have kids, jobs lives etc and 14 days is peanuts! This is very discouraging and unrealistic. bummer barnes and noble. :smileysad:


Michael-V wrote:

@ShelleySargent,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

 

Lending offers on a wide selection of eBooks can be sent from the NOOK to any email address. A lending offer, which shows up in the daily on the recipient's NOOK or their email account if they do not own a NOOK, is available for 7 days and can be accepted or declined on a NOOK or online. All lendable titles can be lent once for 14 days. Once a lending offer is submitted, it cannot be retracted.

If you are expecting to receive a lent book or a lend offer, and you don't see it in your NOOK, go to My Library and tap Check for New B&N Content.

 

With our new LendMe™ technology, you can lend many of your eBooks one time for a maximum of 14 days. In your NOOK's library, select an eBook and tap Lend. Then you either select a friend you have already defined on your NOOK, or create a new contact. You can also enter a personal message. Once done, tap Submit and then Confirm to have your lend offer emailed to your friend.

Contacts is the place where you keep the names and e-mail addresses of people to whom you'd like to lend books. To access your list of contacts, press Settings --> Contacts.

 

You can get more information by click on our FAQ and Support page link below and clicking on Getting Started:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195

 

Also, here is the LendMe eBooks page from the B&N site:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/category.asp?PID=32720&bnit=H&cds2Pid=29168&linkid=1570674

 

I hope this helps.

 

 

 

 


 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,818
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: How do I lend and borrow a book?

BN_AlexG
Posts: 476
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
Registered: ‎09-19-2011
0 Kudos

Re: How do I lend and borrow a book?

New User
runty
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-23-2013
0 Kudos

Re: How do I lend and borrow a book?

 
New User
Justin_Sane
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-20-2013
0 Kudos

Re: How do I lend and borrow a book?

One more reason to just buy a REAL book. Another is that; when you pass on, die, all of your "digital books" disappear, you can not leave them to anyone.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
323
207
177
120
114
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 216 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: