Contributor
koolkat67
Accepted Solution

How do you Delete ebooks from the Nook

I can't seem to find any place to delete from my Nook.  I know you can do it through the B&N account online but is there anyways just from the NOOK?  The people at B&N couldnt figure it out either.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Re: How do you Delete ebooks from the Nook

Putting eBooks into archive from your nook should remove them from your nook.  Make sure to check for new content once after archiving eBooks.  You should get a refreshed list of eBooks in your library on your nook. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Never delete.  Archive instead.

If you Archive while Airplane mode is ON, the book will hang around till the next time you manually check for new B&N content.  

Contributor
koolkat67
0 Kudos

this doesn't work...it simply greys it out.

Contributor
koolkat67
0 Kudos

Tried this one too.  it only greys it out.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

koolkat67 wrote:

When you reply, hit that quote button, so we know what you are referring to.
The duplicate books issue can only be fixed at the website.  Not from the nook.  Go the the web site, delete the older version of the duplicate, then archive the other version of each duplicate.  Log out.
Then go to the nook, check for new B&N content in the My Library section.  Then scroll down to where its says Hide Archived items, and tap that so that it says Show archived items.  Now your grayed out items disappear.  If you ever want to see what is in your archive, just change this button back. 

Contributor
koolkat67

u rock!

icebike wrote:

koolkat67 wrote:

When you reply, hit that quote button, so we know what you are referring to.
The duplicate books issue can only be fixed at the website.  Not from the nook.  Go the the web site, delete the older version of the duplicate, then archive the other version of each duplicate.  Log out.
Then go to the nook, check for new B&N content in the My Library section.  Then scroll down to where its says Hide Archived items, and tap that so that it says Show archived items.  Now your grayed out items disappear.  If you ever want to see what is in your archive, just change this button back. 

Reader 2
flowerchild70
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

I had the duplicate book issue (on the 3 original free books, plus the dictionary) following the 1.2 update.  I am in the middle of reading one of the freebies.  I couldn't tell which copies were the actual duplicate copies in my nook library, so I just picked one of each pair to archive from my nook.  When I tried to open the book I'm reading, I was prompted to download it.  I tried to download it several times without success.  I finally investigated my online account where I could see the download dates and realized that I had archived the older versions.  I reactivated them and archived the newer versions.  I then returned to my nook and easily opened the book to read.  It returned me to the page where I last left off.  I fully expected to be returned to the title page or some other random page, so I was very pleased.

However, I am still seeing the archived books listed in my nook library in the grayed out format.  I have toggled the Show Archived Items/Hide Archived Items menu line numerous times.  I have checked for new B&N content. It makes no difference in the library list.   I have read the user guide on the subject.  I think it is odd that if you want to HIDE the archives, the menu has to say SHOW the archives, and if you want to show the archives, the menu has to say hide the archives.  That is not how the items on the other menus behave.  (Airplane mode and wi-fi for example).  I have decided that this is a bug that remains to be fixed.

Bottom line advice from me is to archive the newer version of a duplicate book if you want to be able to read it again.

Reader 2
minicooper0
0 Kudos

Similarly when I upgraded to 1.2, I also ended up with duplicate copies of Little Women and Dracula.  But I don't have 2 entries in My B&N library.  Any ideas on how to eliminate these duplicate entries?  Thanks

Inspired Contributor
Jason_Corner
0 Kudos

flowerchild70 wrote:

I think it is odd that if you want to HIDE the archives, the menu has to say SHOW the archives, and if you want to show the archives, the menu has to say hide the archives. 

There isn't anything on the Nook that says Archives Hidden or Archives Shown, so the menu option is given you the opposite option to select it. 

I likewise had the three free books (Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, and Dracula) double once I got the 1.2 patch.  I couldn't archive them off the Nook, and even when I selected to Hide Archives they still showed up (although they were grayed out).  This was true even if I archived both copies.  I finally went to the Barnes and Noble website and managed my Nook's Library.  I deleted one copy of each book (this permanently deletes something, so be careful how you use this feature).  That got rid of the extra copies on the Nook (once I checked for updates) and allowed me to archive as normal. 

New User
kim_o
0 Kudos

This doesn't really work.

All archiving does is gray out the title.

I'd really like to find a way to really delete titles, since I somehow managed to download a couple books more than once.

Who needs two copies of "Little Women"?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
kim_o wrote:

Well, it also takes the book off of your nook, so it's not taking up space.

You can select "Hide archived items" if you don't want the gray lines to show up.

kim_o wrote:

I'd really like to find a way to really delete titles

You can log onto your B&N account with your computer and delete the books from your account. You probably wouldn't want to do that with books you paid for, since you'd have to buy them again if you wanted them back. You'll probably need to do a "Check for new B&N content" afterward.

kim_o wrote:

I somehow managed to download a couple books more than once.

For that I believe that you'll need to contact Customer Service.

New User
treton7878
0 Kudos

The only way to delete ebooks is from the online library at bn.com. Go to my eBooks Library.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

kim_o wrote:

This doesn't really work.

I'd really like to find a way to really delete titles, since I somehow managed to download a couple books more than once.

Who needs two copies of "Little Women"?

Archiving does more than gray out the title.

Grayed titles are NOT on your nook.

If you turn off "Show Archived items" you won't see the grayed titles of items no longer on your nook.

New User
John-K9jgs
0 Kudos

Yes, How Indeed do you remove books from the Nook?

I download books from my local public library.  When I have read them I want to remove them from the Nook.

These books do not appear in My Account - My eBook Library so there appears to be no way to remove them using the BN website.

I'm thinking of a large hammer...

John

Indiana

New User
John-K9jgs
0 Kudos

This is, I guess, a reply to myself.  How to Delete Books from the Nook:

Connect the Nook to the computer.  Go to MY Computer and open the Nook file.  Delete the books you want gone.

That's it.  Worked fine for me.  When I later looked at My Library on the Nook, Lo and Behold, the no-longer-desired books were GONE!

I had not thought of doing it through the computer.  I was trying to do it on the Nook itself.  Apparently there is no way to do that.  By doing it through the computer, you should be able to remove any undesired content from the Nook library.

John

Indiana

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

If the library books were loaded through ADE, then connecting your nook and launching ADE should do it, so long as you have returned the book, or your loan period has expired.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

If the library books were loaded through ADE, then connecting your nook and launching ADE should do it, so long as you have returned the book, or your loan period has expired.

No it won't - if you RETURN the book via ADE, then it won't appear on the nook in ADE anymore, but the file will still be on your nook.  You need to go to the digital editions folder on your nook (via your computer's finder) and manually delete it.

If you DELETE the book from the nook file in ADE, then it is deleted from the nook, but may still be in the digital editions folder on your computer.

When I'm done with a book, I typically open ADE with my nook plugged in, DELETE the book from my nook via ADE, then RETURN the book from the "borrowed books" menu in ADE, and then check my  computer's digital editions folder and manually delete whatever epub is still left there.

It's not elegant, but then again, adobe rarely is.  

New User
mellowmindy
0 Kudos

FIGURED IT OUT!!

unregister your nook

log on to barnes and noble account via computer

go to ebooks 

go to my library (subtitle)

-will list all books currently on your nook

-to the right under"download" it will say   move to archive[x]delete

click delete

-a box will show up that will say"delete" at the top

- at the bottom of the box it will say   Yes,Archive   and   No,Permanently Delete

click "No, Permanently Delete

Note: Free Books can be downloaded again for Free once deleted, Purchased ebooks MUST be purchased again and you will be charged.

(P.S.  --i'm 13)

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:46 members 529 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: