New User
HelpMeIMDumbLOL
0 Kudos

How do you register without Wifi???

I bought my nook, and I just bought a boatload of eBooks from BN.com, which I then transferred to my nook via the USB cable. Now I can't read the eBooks on my nook because my device isn't registered.  I live in the boonies and I can't access Wifi or 3G, so how in the world can I register my nook and read my eBooks?  When I bought the nook at a brick-and-mortar Barnes & Noble (a two hour drive for me) the clerk assured me I could register from my PC.  Well, I've been trying and when one hooks the nook up to the PC via the USB cable, it starts charging and doesn't let you access the nook menu, doh!  So, what do I do now?  I am NOT driving 2 hours back to the Barnes & Noble store just to register my device!  Is there some way I can make the nook NOT charge when hooked up to the PC so I can access the settings menu and register so I can read my $41 dollars worth of eBooks?  Please help, as I'm about to hurl my nook from the roof of my house lol.

I have the nook for PC program installed in my PC, so can I just register my nook from there??

Yeah, I know, I could just read my eBooks on the computer, but that sorta defeats the whole purpose of buying the nook lol.

Inspired Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

Re: How do you register without Wifi???

To use the Nook properly, I recommend you get a wireless router for your internet.  I got a Netgear wireless router at Best Buy for about $60.00 recently because my son got a laptop.  It was really easy to install.  I just connected the network cable from the cable modem to the router.  My PC is connected to the router through a network cable.  My son's laptop and wireless printer and my Nook all connect to the internet through the wireless router. 

The router came with software that made it super easy to configure.  Wireless connectivity is becoming more and more standard on all sorts of devices. 

New User
HelpMeIMDumbLOL
0 Kudos

Thanks for replying so quickly!

I already have a wireless router, but I haven't hooked it up because I have a VOiP phone router already hooked up to the modem and I have absolutely no idea how to hook up the wireless router around that arrangement lol.  I don't want to uninstall the VOiP phone router because it's a giant pain to get it set up again.  Any other ideas?  And thanks again for your suggestion!

Frequent Contributor
geertm

You do not have to register the Nook to read books. The advantage of registering your Nook is that you can buy and download your B&N books using Wifi/3G. As you have no Wifi/3G connection registering your Nook has no advantage for you.

You can only register using 3G/Wifi.

If you use the USB connection to transfer the books to you Nook you need to put them in the My Documents folder of the nook (the B&N folder is only for those books downloaded using 3G/Wifi).

After you have transferred the books to the Nook, go to My Documents (not the B&N library) on your Nook and choose "check for new content".

New User
HelpMeIMDumbLOL
0 Kudos

I tried putting them in the "my documents" folder and the eBooks I bought aren't even showing up in the nook when I add them to that folder.  I know that books do work in the "my documents" folder already because the first thing I did when I bought my nook was I put all the pdf books on my computer in the nook in "my documents" and they show up and are able to be read.  ARGH!  Thanks for your suggestion though! :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

How far in the boonies are you?  Starbucks might be sort of a city thing, but McDonald's are awfully common (*cringe*) and they offer free WiFi.  I'm not in a big city (or a city at all, actually), but our public library has WiFi too.  If you just need to register, it would be pretty quick if you could get to either place.  Once you're all charged up, anyhow.  And you'll charge faster from a wall outlet than from your computer, I think.

New User
HelpMeIMDumbLOL
0 Kudos

Thanks for the McDonald's tip, there was one 1/2 an hour from me and I was able to get the nook registered, finally.  (I live wayyyyy in the boonies lol!)  Only problem now, I can open my books but I only get an "overview" of the book, I don't get to read the book.  What gives?  I bought the book, downloaded the book, transferred it to my nook, and I only get an "overview"??!!

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

Any book (even the ones you buy from Barnes and Noble) that you copy from your computer to the nook HAS to go into My Documents.You don't copy them to the Barnes and Noble library. If you are seeing an 'overview' of your book, you are in the Barnes and Noble library on your nook and not the My Documents area. Make sure you go to the My Documents area on the nook and read your books from there.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

HelpMeIMDumbLOL wrote:

Thanks for the McDonald's tip, there was one 1/2 an hour from me and I was able to get the nook registered, finally.  (I live wayyyyy in the boonies lol!)  Only problem now, I can open my books but I only get an "overview" of the book, I don't get to read the book.  What gives?  I bought the book, downloaded the book, transferred it to my nook, and I only get an "overview"??!!

If there are already books in your B&N library the first time you synchronize your Nook with B&N than only the first few books (I believe 5) will be downloaded. The other books will have to be downloaded manually.

If you take a look at the touchscreen when looking at the book overview you wil see that the first choice is to download the book. This will not work at your home because you have no Wifi/3G (you will have to go McDonalds again).

You really can read your  B&N books by just copying them to the My Documents folder of your Nook.

New User
bob590
0 Kudos

okay- i just got a nook and i had the same problem as you.

So i went on BN.com and i went to my library and downloaded the book i bought. It was in my documents under downloads so i just plugged in my nook, right clicked on the book, and scrolled down to "send to" and then "nook". never even registered :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

bob590 wrote:

okay- i just got a nook and i had the same problem as you.

So i went on BN.com and i went to my library and downloaded the book i bought. It was in my documents under downloads so i just plugged in my nook, right clicked on the book, and scrolled down to "send to" and then "nook". never even registered :smileyhappy:

Hmm, did you use Nook for PC, or just a standard download then sideload?  This is an interesting workaround for people who don't have wireless at home and don't want to travel to get books every time.

Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

Just a suggestion if your still having trouble with your B&N books. If you download them from the website, they'll be named something like 123456.v1.epub - rename the file to something like 123456v1.epub (remove the first period). The nook won't recognize the file with two periods in it.

New User
ziggystardust10
0 Kudos

Well,I tried the whole download,and send to nook.But it wont even let me get past the registration on my nook without wifi,so how do I get to the book on my nook? How do I per say, skip over the registration?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

ziggystardust10 wrote:

Well,I tried the whole download,and send to nook.But it wont even let me get past the registration on my nook without wifi,so how do I get to the book on my nook? How do I per say, skip over the registration?

The first question would be which Nook do you have?  AFAIK, the only way to register is via WiFi and I believe that neither the NookColor nor the Nook2 can be used without registering first, but someone else may know better.  You'll need to either go a B&N store or somewhere with free WiFi, like McDonalds or Starbucks and register.  

Reader
GotZombie
0 Kudos

McDonald's won't help as you need to accept the terms in a web browser before you can get on the Wifi. The Simple Touch requires you to register over the Internet before you can get on its web browser. Like the OP, I don't have an open Wifi near me, so I guess I'm SOL.

B&N should fire the person who decided to require registering the device before you can use it at all.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Kevenj wrote:

McDonald's won't help as you need to accept the terms in a web browser before you can get on the Wifi. The Simple Touch requires you to register over the Internet before you can get on its web browser. Like the OP, I don't have an open Wifi near me, so I guess I'm SOL.

B&N should fire the person who decided to require registering the device before you can use it at all.

The reason they do this is so that you'll buy books from B&N.  It was a strategic move.

I have not tried my nook in McDonalds, but I do know that most McD's use AT&T wifi, and your nook should NOT need to have you accept terms before connecting to the network.  I know that if a McD's in franchised and not part of corporate the issues/terms may be different.

I can say with confidence that Starbucks will not require you to accept terms on your nook.  Do you have a Starbucks near you?

Contributor
MattShizzle
0 Kudos

I just got mine and also live in a very rural area. I'm disabled and can't drive. There is NOTHING like a McDonalds, Starbucks, etc anywhere close to me (no Starbucks within 20 miles.) I don't have wifi. I agree whoever decided to make it impossible to register without it should be fired. This needs to be fixed somehow.

New User
graywolfqueen
0 Kudos

Hey thxs for the help ur Starbucks thing really helped me out
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 303 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: