Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
trisha48
0 Kudos

How long does your Nook last between charges?

Just curious how often you charge your nook or how long does your charge last?

Do you turn it off at night of just leave on screensaver?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: How long does your Nook last between charges?

I leave my nook on all the time.

Airplane mode is always off.

I let it go to sleep on it's own, never put it to sleep manually.

I read for at least 2 hours a day.

The charge lasts between 3 and 4 days.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It depends on how much I'm using it and what I'm doing.  If I'm playing Sukoku, it doesn't last as long, the touch screen uses up more battery.  I tend to charge it at night at about 50-60%, since I don't see any reason to let it go lower, most of the time.   For me, this can be every 3rd or 4th night, again, depending on how much use it gets.

I rarely turn it off, I leave it in sleep mode unless there is a specific need to turn it off.

Always in Airplane mode unless I need to connect.

Contributor
Reader4Lyf
0 Kudos

The time between charges varies greatly depending on what you are doing with your nook and if you have the airplane mode on/off.  The charge will last longer with the airplane mode turned on (meaning that the wi-fi connection is not available).  Also, the instructions suggest leaving your nook on at all times and letting it just go to sleep when not used.  I am guessing that the power up/power down functions take up a lot of battery power (similar to turning on a light, where it takes more energy to turn on a light than to let it burn.)

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Quite honestly I haven't checked the length of time between charges as my reading usage varies from day to day.

I will say I do not keep my Nook in airplane mode and I just let it sleep between uses.  I do not turn the Nook off at all.  In fact, the last time I turned my Nook off was in March when I was on a plane and had to.  Other than that, I only use sleep mode.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
NookwormNY
0 Kudos

With Airplane Mode on, and daily use (anywhere from 1 to 3+hours), I can get 5+ days on a full charge. I usually don't wait that long; I have a charger on my nightstand and usually plug it in after 3 or 4 days.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

trisha48 wrote:

Just curious how often you charge your nook or how long does your charge last?

Do you turn it off at night of just leave on screensaver?

You will get approximately 8 to 10 hours of reading before you need to recharge it.   This is software 1.3, with WiFi off, but 3G on, with the touchscreen set to go off after 30 seconds.   That will get me to about 15% to 20% battery left.   I've checked with B&N Digital Customer Service and 2 representatives agree with my "time."

As to "page turns"...even at 4 pages a minute, that'd be 240 pages per hour and at 10 hours time, that'd be 2,400 page turns per charge.   NOTHING at all like the supposed 7,500 page turns I've seen touted for the nook.

But it is a whole lot longer than my Pocket PC was able to read eBooks (from Fictionwise) on, I got about 4 hours max and that was with the backlight at minimum in a dark room.

---------
Don
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
JEJ29
0 Kudos

About three days, and I never turn it off.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Between 3 and 4 days, and I don't turn it off.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

I had trouble for the first month (only getting a day or two between charges while hardly reading and leaving it on airplane mode) but after taking the battery out, plugging in the Nook, then putting the battery back in, it seems to be wonderful now.

Yes, I'm a little anal, but for the past two months, I've been marking down exactly which date I charge the Nook.  It has been an absolute consistent every-6-day cycle.  I read for an hour or two a day.  I always leave it in airplane mode.  My touch screen goes off after (I think) 15 seconds and it is on 2% brightness.  While every 6 days is only half what the advertisement claims, I'm still happy. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

donc13 wrote:

But it is a whole lot longer than my Pocket PC was able to read eBooks (from Fictionwise) on, I got about 4 hours max and that was with the backlight at minimum in a dark room.

I thought I was the only one who read books on a Pocket PC!  My first ebook (The Talisman by Stephen King) was bought with a PPC 6700 four years ago.  Then I upgraded to the PPC 6800 a year later and then the TouchPro the following year.  Now I use an Omnia II (which I bought just because it would be so much nicer to read books on). 

Ironically, because the Omnia II uses an AMOLED screen which uses significantly less battery for black displays, even with the phone checking for email every 15 minutes and using it for texts and phone calls intermittently throughout the day, my cell phone battery lasts a week (which is longer than the Nook battery on airplane mode.  I think that speaks volumes about my cell phone design.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

5 days (more or less)

Never turn it off.  Always on airplane mode (no subscriptions).

Frequent Contributor
maemae0410
0 Kudos

Someone mentioned having to take battery out plug in nook and put battery back in has anyone else had to do this. My charge only lass about a day to a day and a half 3g on wifi off and sleep mode. Will doing this really help and how did u find out about this trick??
~MaeMae~
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

maemae0410 wrote:
Someone mentioned having to take battery out plug in nook and put battery back in has anyone else had to do this. My charge only lass about a day to a day and a half 3g on wifi off and sleep mode. Will doing this really help and how did u find out about this trick??

First, put it in airplane mode unless you need to shop or download something, that will turn off the 3G, which may help.  Also, have you let the charge run down to at least where it tells you to recharge (15% left I think) a couple of times.  If it is new and you haven't done this, you should as the software needs to calibrate the batter.

Mine lasts anywhere from 3-8 days depending on how much I read.  I always leave it in airplane mode unless I need to access something and sleep mode when I'm not using it.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

maemae0410 wrote:
Someone mentioned having to take battery out plug in nook and put battery back in has anyone else had to do this.  

That subject is forbidden on these boards.  Trust me I know.  The hammer will come down if we talk about that.

It won't help you lengthen your run time anyway.  

Running your battery down quite far (maybe 5%) and then fully recharging once in a while may help.  Running with airplane mode on will help (A lot).  Setting touch screen brightness down will help.  Setting touchscreen timeout to 10 seconds will help.

Frequent Contributor
maemae0410
0 Kudos

That subject is forbidden on these boards.  Trust me I know.  The hammer will come down if we talk about that.

icebike wrote:

Running your battery down quite far (maybe 5%) and then fully recharging once in a while may help.  Running with airplane mode on will help (A lot).  Setting touch screen brightness down will help.  Setting touchscreen timeout to 10 seconds will help.

Sorry...was just asking I didn't see how it would help why is it so forbidden?

To the powers that be I was not asking to cause any harm just b/c I had heard it and wanted to make sure that, it was accurate before I did so...so sorry :smileyhappy:

thanks for the information I am currently at 15% and counting..then I will charge!!

~MaeMae~
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Said trick will often recover a nook in a coma, but in spite of all evidence to the contrary B&N insists it will ruin a nook, and we get nasty grams in our email if we recommend it.  So therefore we don't recommend it under any circumstances what so ever.  Even if your nook is in a black screen coma.  Just don't do it. Not even for 2 seconds. Its bad, really bad.    

Frequent Contributor
maemae0410
0 Kudos

Understood. :smileyhappy:

please not nasty grams LOL

~MaeMae~
Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever
0 Kudos

I thought that had been recommended (even by M-V) as a possible solution to recover a NOOK. What gives?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 686 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: